Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it really that difficult for some people to do actual research and educate themselves?

Is it really that difficult for some people to do actual research and educate themselves?

Posted - September 8, 2018

Responses

That's the thing. Some people don't know how to do "objective" research. They will try to read anything and believe it.
      September 8, 2018 4:19 PM MDT

probably
      September 8, 2018 4:26 PM MDT

Human nature being what it is, I think a lot of people (and I guess sometimes I'm one of them) will have a particular viewpoint and will look for research that bears out their thoughts.  
      September 8, 2018 4:42 PM MDT

Confirmation bias.
      September 8, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

More difficult for some than others....if you can read though there is lots you can do for yourself and many many people that will take time out to help you if your being honest about your willingness to learn...
      September 8, 2018 4:53 PM MDT

I appreciate honesty and learning how the other side thinks. Some people seem to have no idea or desire to do objective research.
      September 8, 2018 4:55 PM MDT

A lot deepened on where you live and what you wish to achive in life....friends also can hold you back and even help you achive something better for yourself...If it's really something that you want ,nothing can really deter you... 
      September 8, 2018 5:06 PM MDT

I agree. I would like to add many people don’t like to read or hear from sources they don’t agree with. They stick with sources that tell them what they want to hear.
      September 8, 2018 5:08 PM MDT

We all have different abilities and some do find research difficult. There are things others find easy that I might find difficult.
      September 8, 2018 6:28 PM MDT

It takes a concerted effort to do research, but with the internet making information readily available, that’s not such a strong alibi anymore.  

I wonder how many are reluctant to research because they are anxious about what they might uncover. 
    How many people don’t bother to learn because they already “know everything“, or just go with what they’re told. 
      September 8, 2018 7:07 PM MDT

Yep :P But seriously, as many others have said here.. they don't want to.. they want to believe what they believe and it doesn't matter how many stats and facts you present them they are unable to break out of the dogma that they have been taught to believe.. 
      September 9, 2018 2:01 AM MDT

I would point out that everyone, formally or informally educated, believes what they "want to believe".   Whether it is what they were taught or what they learned or what they went through.  The notion that if presented with the "correct" "stats and facts" everyone will believe the same things is a dangerous one.  And a totalitarian one. 
      September 9, 2018 7:48 AM MDT

Not really - just takes the doing. Have always been libraries and knowledgeable people you can consult and now with the net so much information is available to anyone who chooses to avail themselves of it. Formal institutional education is not necessary or even desirable. 
      September 9, 2018 7:41 AM MDT