Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » WHAT IF all leaders from time immemorial had been Peacemakers? What if violence didn 't exist? Would you be happpier in that world?

WHAT IF all leaders from time immemorial had been Peacemakers? What if violence didn 't exist? Would you be happpier in that world?

Posted - September 12, 2018

Responses

Yes....only greed and avarice begat all wars Rosie.....Mans desire for the pick of all females ,the first to eat ,weapons ,the best accomadation and show of his wealth is no different now to when humans first came into being....
    Science and progress  has just  changed the parameters ,that's all...
      September 12, 2018 2:49 AM MDT

Here' what confuses me. Not everyone is NOT an SOB. Some are wonderful human beings. Where does that evil come from? Thank you for your reply D.
      September 12, 2018 6:13 AM MDT

Do a good deed and only a few will remember Rosie.....do something wrong and no one will let you forget...
    .it's human nature for some to see the worst in people ....
      September 12, 2018 2:27 PM MDT

Somebody has to start a war for there to be peacemakers...
      September 12, 2018 3:06 AM MDT

You did not answer the question I asked.  Would you care to do so?  Happy Wednesday.
      September 12, 2018 6:11 AM MDT

No. Im human, I enjoy violence and unrest. ;+
      September 12, 2018 4:35 AM MDT

Fine but you don't make "peace" with those whose fondest desire and most earnest endeavor is to kill you and all your kind. 
      September 12, 2018 5:27 AM MDT

Necessity is the mother of invention. Warfare has been responsible for progress. Microcomputers and teflon are byproducts of the race to the Moon, itself an offshoot of the Cold War.

"You know what the fellow said - in Italy, for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed; but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace - and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    - Graham Greene, The Third Man

The Chinese have a curse - "may you live in interesting times". This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 12, 2018 5:52 AM MDT
      September 12, 2018 5:51 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Sbf. What if your life's work were used to annihilate millions of people? Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson has written a book titled "Accessory to War". We know the moral dilemma that occurs in such alliances. Remember the Atomic Bomb? I dunno. How do we know we wouldn't have been much farther ahead if we didn't have to spend money and time on killing "the enemy"? That is a question no one can answer but I think it is a worthwhile question. So of course I'm going to ask it. This post was edited by RosieG at September 12, 2018 7:56 PM MDT
      September 12, 2018 7:17 AM MDT

But WOULD we be "further ahead"? Japan was already losing the war when Truman ordered that the bombs be dropped - establishing a beach head on Honshu would have cost countless lives but it could have been done. The problem (for Truman) was the Soviet Union, which was planning to invade Japan from the west on 15th August - they'd already overrun Korea and were massing for an assault by sea. Truman wanted to avoid that at all costs, fearing a Japanese SSR if the Russians established a toehold, so he played his trump card to force Japan to surrender before the Soviets got there.
      September 12, 2018 8:03 PM MDT

I take it I should have said "FURTHER" not FARTHER? Okey dokey. I liked Truman a lot retroactively. I mean I was just a kid when he was prez so I was not politically involved or aware except on the fringes. I remember FDR informing us of the attack on Pearl Harbor via radio. My mom was doing the laundry and I was "helping her" as much as a 4-year old can help. I remember experiencing rationing butter and sugar. I remember men going off to war and women taking their places on production lines in manufacturing plants. Butter for guns was used in pro-war advertising. Remember "Rosie the Riveter"? I remember a country pulling together and I remember the gladness when the war was over. I think Truman was an honest man. A straight shooter.I read that he never really sought the presidency but he inherited it so he did the best he could. I remember he had a plaque on his desk that read "THE BUCK STOPS HERE". I remember the headlines that read "DEWEY WINS" and the aftermath when it turned out that wasn't true. So I figure that was the best advice he was given and he took it. But still I wonder what would have happened if war did not exist from the beginning of human existence. Would we be FURTHER ahead, FARTHER/FURTHER BEHIND or in the same place? How much inevitability is there in life? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Sbf and Happy Thursday!   :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 13, 2018 5:18 AM MDT
      September 13, 2018 5:16 AM MDT

Evil is part of the animal instinct in all of us. Anger and violence are part of the human defense system. We have to 'get mean' to defend ourselves. I saw Mr. Rogers get angry once with a rude interviewer from the Howard Stern Show. An angry Mr. Rogers????? Unfortunately, this instinct gets outta hand at times and people become violent. 
      September 12, 2018 6:57 AM MDT

I know with certainty I would be much happier living in a world without violence. Unfortunately as long as humans exist so will violence.
      September 12, 2018 12:38 PM MDT