Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » If you were to design your dream home, what unusual feature would you include?

If you were to design your dream home, what unusual feature would you include?

Posted - September 13, 2018

Responses

solar passive and active, zero carbon footprint

but the unique feature would be the whole design based on the nautilus shell
      September 13, 2018 10:05 PM MDT

Hello Non de Plume
    Have you ever seen the Nautilus house in Mexico City, it is uniquely beautiful 
      September 13, 2018 10:28 PM MDT

No, I haven't. Will look it up on the net. Thanks! :)
    I worked for several weeks on my nautilus design, and by the end was satisfied that it would work well. 
    Mudbrick, wide stone foundations, slate floors, wide eves, slate roof on wooden trusses. Hand carved wooden doors.
    Interiors plastered and whitewashed like interior of shell - lots of natural light.
    Stained glass for bathroom windows.
      September 13, 2018 10:40 PM MDT

here is a pic of the Nautilus house
      September 14, 2018 9:41 PM MDT

Exquisite! Can just imagine being on the inside looking at the light coming in through all that stained glass. :)

My design was much more earthy than that one - snuggled into the landscape almost invisibly.
      September 16, 2018 12:43 AM MDT

Beautiful!
    I'm sorry to say,  mine is much less environmentally correct.  Before I even post it now I am going to rethink it.  :) :)
      September 13, 2018 11:51 PM MDT

A half-circular driveway!  

(I'll bet everyone thought I'd say a tilde storage room or a sandwich nook, right?)

~
      September 13, 2018 10:36 PM MDT

very practical 
    entries and exits safer
    welcoming for guests
      September 13, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

I pictured a moat with a draw bridge, guarded by handsome men in uniform.  The tildes housed way in the back hidden by acreage and gallant horses running freely.  Your lovely wife on the balcony and kids speaking with correct pronunciation and a huge vocabulary. 
    Then again, Merlin does live in a fantasy world.  Sandwiches are flown in, I presumed, since you have them made all over the world!  Big smiles and giggles. 
      September 13, 2018 11:59 PM MDT

Lots of giggles.  :  )
      September 14, 2018 9:17 AM MDT

Hi Morning Star~ :)   I'm giggling with you!  You're awesome! :) :) 
      September 14, 2018 6:34 PM MDT

I like the circle drive. 
      September 14, 2018 5:44 AM MDT

September 14, 2018 6:03 AM MDT

Hello there RandyD
    A half circular driveway...Crazy...why has no one thought of that before...brilliant!!! haha

September 14, 2018 9:26 PM MDT

I'm not the first person who thought this up; they've existed for a long time. 
    --
      September 14, 2018 9:30 PM MDT

15 kVA solar with storage batteries.
      September 14, 2018 12:05 AM MDT

Hello Startibartfast
    Are you interested in off grid living?
      September 14, 2018 9:34 PM MDT

Not completely, wired internet is faster and more reliable than wireless.
      September 15, 2018 9:54 PM MDT

I love to swim.  I would have our pool one of the main features. It would not have chlorine are any harmful cleaning substances but rather an elite filtering system.  It would be nice if it were natural spring water.   It would be tropical with a waterfall.  It would be bordered with large Birds of Paradise, bougainvillea, philodendrons,  etc.. An all natural tropical paradise.  The inside would have a hot tub, easy entrance into the water, a bar, and windows you have to swim under to get to the outside.  It would be about 10 feet or deeper with a diving board yet shallow enough to walk in and out of on the inside. The windows separating the indoor/outdoor would be non-fogging and the temperature inside would stay solar heated.  
    I would have a spiral staircase that looked like it floated in the air leading to the master bedroom.  The entire upstairs would be the master.  I would have a thinly plated see-through waterfall separating the bedroom and the bathroom as a wall.  All the water is recycled through out the house.  There would be a Lazy Susan in the garage so you never had to back in or out. This post was edited by Merlin at August 21, 2022 7:31 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 12:23 AM MDT

Oh wow, you think very big.  Love the waterfall idea.  
      September 14, 2018 9:17 AM MDT

Hello again Merlin
    Sounds wonderful. the only thing missing is a grotto There is a place in Tahoe, Hyatt at incline village that has what you are describing, a pool that goes from inside to outside where you have to go under the wall to go from inside to out. it  has a "river" portion that connects the 2 pools. 
    I would also love to have a pool, maybe some day...
      September 14, 2018 10:06 PM MDT

Sounds like a place I would love to visit! :) :)  WAIT!!!  Did you just say incline villiage???  We like to go to Tahoe on occasion.  We have a friend Don was on ski-patrol with that lives there!!!  My goodness, why haven't we ever stayed there?!  Ahhhhhh!!!  Probably because we always stay with him.  But, now I know.  We aren't going this year but I'm saving this and calling him tomorrow.  Incline Village is very small.  I can't believe we've passed this up.  Ugh!  Awesome!  Thanks designer.  :)  We are going the next time we go to Tahoe and our friend.
      September 14, 2018 10:36 PM MDT

A secret entrance, a secret room, hidden features in furniture. I became interested in these things while watching Charlie Chan Movies. A salt water pool, a full gym and dance floor with a mirror and a TV, for those long trips on the eclipse or bicycle. Watched a video on u tube recently about hidden rooms in houses.  It is amazing what can be done: push on a brick wall and a door opens, push a button in the back yard and a rack with cold beverages emerges from the ground.  I love technology as well. I saw something once where by a mere push of a button the windows become non-transparent.  No shades, no covering, must be something in the glass.  I love, love this one, especially for a very large window.  This post was edited by . at August 21, 2022 7:31 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 5:47 AM MDT

Salt water pools are sooooo nice.  I was in one in February.  It was my first time!  (The ocean doesn't count :)) Totally awesome.  I love the dance floor w/mirror and the hidden rooms are a blast!  Those windows are very cool, too. 
    Your ideas are fabulous.  When you build it (please note I didn't say "if," ;)  will you please send pictures?   I'd like very much to see your snazy furniture. I would feel like I was surrounded by "Bond tricks!"   Your house sounds COOL! :) :) 

September 14, 2018 10:03 PM MDT