Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Being intelligent vs. being smart - what is better to master your life? Or are those two the same??

Being intelligent vs. being smart - what is better to master your life? Or are those two the same??

From experiencing family members I think I know what the answer is - but your opinion might be totally different , and I am looking forward to those!

Posted - September 15, 2018

Responses

Hi Whitehair~ :)  I stopped out of due-respect to you.  I am leaving for a little while to plant in our carport..... don't ask. ... and spend time with Don...  That is understandable.. BUT... I would like to answer.
    Being smart is common sense
    Being intelligent is memorization.  
    They are one in the same. 
    You have to know they combine.
    Watch. Hear. Taste. Smell. Feel. = Learn.
    You are smart to know this and intelligent to apply them.

This post was edited by Merlin at September 15, 2018 6:31 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 1:25 PM MDT

• Thank you, Merlin. I must say that I encountered people during our camperlife, who were very well educated and did not handle their situation I would call smart. I think I have to introduce the word "streetsmart", which might bring some people farther in their life than any education can.
      September 15, 2018 1:55 PM MDT

• Of course - it can have also to do with genes. Dumb and dumber do not reach smart.

September 15, 2018 1:57 PM MDT

i think theyre the sanne
      September 15, 2018 2:58 PM MDT

"To Master your Life"
    some key words.
    To me that means reaching past intelligence and smart.
    Can one be smart without intelligence?
    Intelligence with experience
    gives us understanding.
    thus speaking I refer to
    the experience of that which is beyond 
    time and space, which gives us understanding
    to be the Master of ones life.

Good to see you Whitehair
      September 15, 2018 3:08 PM MDT

• Thank you, Baba, for your response. Yes, one of my relatives was more or less uneducated and "mastered" her family's life with success. I think in this case survival instinct kicked in rather than reason, something animals can master wonderfully. Intelligence has sooo many branches and divisions that we humans have to have some experiences in this department to make sense of it all. I had a young relative with a mental disorder. According to his doctor, his brain was overloaded with knowledge. Does that makes sense?
      September 15, 2018 3:55 PM MDT

Being smart has noting to do with being intelligent......You might read and know a lot ,but have no idea how to react in every day situations....
    When disaster occurs, knowkedge might help but also might not be enough to save you....a smart streetwise savvy person has a far better way of saving himself or helping others while staying safe themselves...
    A smart person will hardly ever follow the rules blindly.....he will react in the best way he thinks to every different individual situation.....

September 15, 2018 4:00 PM MDT

• I can nod to your response, NJ. I myself never follow any rules or orders ( doctors !!!!...) blindly. I had more than once a discussion with Dr's about certain medications I never took. Learning through life experiences is also key to handle certain situations smart - and intelligent.
      September 15, 2018 4:19 PM MDT

You are responsible for your own welfare once you reach your late teens...it's insanity to become a lemming and just follow blindly...you should always Reserch everything,including prescribed medicines..plus never forget ,anyone can have a bad day and make mistakes.... This post was edited by Nice Jugs at September 15, 2018 5:32 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 4:33 PM MDT

• Yes, Yes, Yes!
      September 15, 2018 4:38 PM MDT

It is GREAT to see you Whitehair! :) :)
      September 15, 2018 5:57 PM MDT

• Thank you, Merlin. I appear in waves here, but I take no medicine for the times in between - hahaha!!!!
      September 15, 2018 6:12 PM MDT

Big Giggles back at cha!!  
    I started to write another example to back my theory but thought twice.  There is something about you that seems so familiar.  Something I've missed for a long time.  I know that probably sounds creepy but you must know me better than to know, I Don't Do Creep.  At any rate, I can't stop smiling since I've seen you and your hat.  It's comforting.  :) :)  No need to take medicine when you are dealing with "real life things" unless needed.  It's when you get on the internet that you might feel you need it! Big winks and smiles! 
      September 15, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

• Thanks - that means a lot to me, Merlin. The internet is my friend! Because my friends live in my computer!!!!
      September 15, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

• For all responding to my posts:   When I came from Germany to live in the USA in 1984, I had a hard time understanding the Evening News in TV. My biggest concern at that time was not to be able to have meaningful conversations with people, to express my feelings. This time is over. There might be some slight misunderstandings sometimes, but basically I am very thankful to be able to do that now and to enjoy exchanges of opinions with people like you  Love you all!!!! ♥
      September 15, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

You're Awesome!!!  In the true sense of the word!!  :) :)
    I'm glad you're back here to share your thoughts and facts.  
    Big hugs and smiles!!!

P.S.  Please don't ever stop wearing your hat!! I love it!!
      September 15, 2018 6:46 PM MDT

• I am a forever smiley. I have very few pictures of myself with my lips closed. It expresses my attitude - being positive! And I like hugs! 
      September 15, 2018 7:04 PM MDT

•   September 15, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

Hello Whitehair
    I have always considered intelligence as one's ability to learn and smarts as having the capacity to use it.
    The idea of mastering one's life is subjective and has little to do with your intelligence. There are those who think that mastering their life is measured by how much material wealth they have acquired, and not all of those could be considered intelligent, while some others feel mastering their life is measured by the beauty they find in everyday things. There are some who find "Mastery" in dominating and controlling others, while some find it in service.
    For me, my "smarts" is what I use to accomplish my goals while my intelligence sets those goals...so as long as I set and accomplish my goals according to my values and beliefs, I am the master of my life..
    Have a great day, or evening

September 15, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

• Thank you very much, designer! This is THE  answer to my question. 
      September 15, 2018 8:06 PM MDT

I see intelligence as the ability to recognize patterns and use them to solve problems, especially in the absence of complete information.
    It's not IQ; it's a broad range of learnable mental skills; emotional, analytical, logical, practical, creative, linguistic, mathematical-musical, visual-spacial and proprioceptive.

smart is a slang or informal word for intelligence in North America - in which context it can also mean quick-witted or rude -
    (but in my view it is never intelligent to be rude)

I'm not sure that anyone ever masters life.
    But intelligence is probably the thing that helps most toward relative mastery.
      September 16, 2018 1:44 PM MDT

• Sorry, Nom de Plume, I just noticed your comment today, 5 days later. Life happens in between question and answers and in between comments as well. Sometimes "sponge words" like smart are the best to choose to describe a person without ignoring all the associated traits. I have a friend in facebook, who he answered the same question of mine with the following comment: Jeremy Dion Intellect does not necessarily mean wisdom just as smart does not necessarily mean clever. Crows are incredibly clever, but they are still quite dumb. Monkeys and apes show remarkable intelligence and cleverness, but they still lack real wisdom. On an instinctive level, anyone can be smart and clever without showing any kind of advance intellect or wisdom. I suspect that the more information intelligent people learn, the less common street smart they become. Wisdom dictates that an equal balance of both is necessary for survival in this world (or any other).
    I always liked his participation when I posted something.  I know him in the internet for 12 years now. I would like to introduce him to this forum, I think he will be the right one for our "circle". I will let you know the outcome.
      September 21, 2018 2:03 PM MDT

I do hope your Facebook friend chooses to join - he sounds ideal. :)

I think the idea that intellectuals have no common sense is more a trope of film and TV than a reality.
    Comedies have created a public perception of what intellectuals are like.
    Films have glorified the Autism-spectrum genius who hasn't the first clue about emotions and relationships.
    In fact, that type is less than .1% among intellectuals, and most "aspies" never reach that level of brain power.
    Most "average" people have never had the chance to know an intellectual on a personal level, let alone enough of them to form an accurate overall impression.  

Similarly, country people think city people are dumb and have no "common sense" because they make the most disastrous mistakes when they move to rural lifestyles (& vice versa). "Common sense" is not instinctive, but the result of accumulated information about how things work within a local environment. This includes how to deal with people.
    For instance in cities, if you want a builder or tradesman, you select five, ask each to give a quote and references, check them out and pick the best. But in the country, if you try to get people to compete, they simply won't show up; they have their territories carved out and none will touch the other's out of courtesy, so the only way to find the good ones is via gossip and that means integrating into the community as much as possible.

I agree about wisdom,
    and I love the way you look at the complexities and nuances of the way those words are used.

I confess I didn't think to consider wisdom as a factor in your question.
    For me, wisdom develops neither from intellect, nor cleverness - but needs both in combination with experience, memory, empathy, and ethics.
    (Which doesn't necessarily mean I have wisdom - and therefore could be wrong.)
    ~

This post was edited by inky at September 21, 2018 6:51 PM MDT
      September 21, 2018 6:30 PM MDT

• Nome de Plume - thank you for the extensive comment. What I quoted in my last comment, was written by Jeremy Dion. I made some typing mistakes, I have been distracted. In fb one gets one-sentence answers, I sure love these long ones....♥
      September 21, 2018 6:49 PM MDT