Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Finance » When’s the last time you had a financial setback or unexpected costs?

When’s the last time you had a financial setback or unexpected costs?

Mine was today. I took my car in for what I thought was simple brake pads and rotor replacements. It was much worse. I needed new calipers, rotors, brakes, hydraulic hoses, and cylinders. There went about $1,400. Everything was shot. I knew my brakes were bad, but not that bad. This is the first time I ever let something go this long without repairs or replacements on a vehicle. I’m ashamed I let it get this bad. 

Posted - September 18, 2018

Responses

New furnace and air conditioner. $$$$$. Fortunately we know a guy who has been doing it for 25 years and does side jobs.
      September 18, 2018 4:20 PM MDT

Why are you smelting molten metal in your home.....it's dangerous as you well must know...
    What on earth do you need a furnace for anyway...? 
      September 18, 2018 5:02 PM MDT

Might be something like this:

September 18, 2018 6:42 PM MDT

I bet you're snowed under with repairs to do at home then....You need me there then to fix all your stuff....
    Im very mechanically minded and I have all the right equipment to keep who I live with up and running....:)D 
      September 19, 2018 1:18 AM MDT

Are you a certified HVACR tech?
      September 19, 2018 7:00 AM MDT

No....I'm not certified for anything but an asylum for the insane .....
    I did ever single trade with my elder brothers and my dad and both grand parents...
    i became good at all things using my hands...strength was my only draw back....to small and weak to lift really heavy things.....electrical and plumbing was easy though and I loved making wodeen  things in my dads joinery shop....

I was small and very lithe , I could really crack on doing fitted kitchen and crawling into tiny spaces....
    My dad and brothers are all registered....they use to check and sign things off that I had worked on...
    i don't do it any more unless I spend days working with my family ...I love it and get so bored doing what I do now....
      September 19, 2018 7:42 AM MDT

And what do you do now, besides looking pretty and buying shoes?
      September 19, 2018 1:41 PM MDT

I'm a model citizen that every one wants to get their hand on.... :)D
      September 19, 2018 2:14 PM MDT

I’ve  had to replace my air conditioner and water tank in the past couple of years. On top of a new washer, dryer, and fridge. More overtime in my future. 
      September 18, 2018 5:20 PM MDT

I hope you service your air con regularly.... So easy for Legionairs disease to start breeding in them.....
    Its present also in so many people's hot water. storage systems and your more at risk from it when someone works on your pipe work and disturbed the limescale in them....:(   
      September 19, 2018 1:25 AM MDT

That will be coming up soon.  I've finally decided to get hearing aids.  Tinnitus is beginning in my other ear as well.  I'm hoping it will help not only with hearing but with the constant noise.  The funny thing is in my left ear it is constant hissing like in between radio stations.  I'n my right ear, a pulsating drum like noise has begun.  The sounds are not in sync so far, it's annoying as heck. Hearing aids should help.  Don't understand the price however: they cost more than a new computer which has a million times more technology.  Hearing aids are a simple amplifier, the kind I need anyway.  For the price I should get ones that will translate any foreign language and take dictation.
      September 18, 2018 4:28 PM MDT

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I never understood the price of them either.

September 18, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

It's price gouging at it's worst.  Hummm, I wonder if a 3D printer could make one?  This post was edited by . at September 19, 2018 1:46 PM MDT
      September 18, 2018 5:32 PM MDT

Aliens.

September 18, 2018 6:44 PM MDT

Oh wow! why didn't I think of that: of course...a hat will solve all my problems.  Thank you for reminding me.  I'll have to make one to cover my ears, then I'll be good. 
      September 19, 2018 7:03 AM MDT

You could get one of those hearing aids with bluetooth - link it to your tv or smartphone.
    Then it could use your smartphone to translate languages.  LOL
      September 19, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

when ive had to pay a connpany to pick up nny bed and a couple of nnonths later i had to call thenn again to pick up nny couch cause of bedbugs, i couldnt just leave it in the dunnpster like that, it was really expensive, i got an airbed after that cause they cant nest in it, that way i wont have to get rid of it again, i did get rid of the bugs after, guess they dont like plastic
      September 18, 2018 4:28 PM MDT

What on earth are Rotors on a car...English cars have  nothing like that fitted to them...$1400 seems a fortune to fix the brakes on any car...I think you were ripped if by the sound of it...:(
      September 18, 2018 5:08 PM MDT

Nope. My dad knows the owners. It wasn’t just brakes. It was every item associated with the brakes. Calipers, rotors, cylinders, brake pads, brake hoses, and fixing brake fluid leaks. It adds up fast. The labor was as much as parts. That's an unfortunate thing we can’t escape in America. Rotors are the actual brake pads. I needed every brake part replaced front and rear. 
      September 18, 2018 5:18 PM MDT

Move to England to get then repaired ...no one would pay that kind of money for a normal family car...
    I do my own or get my brothers or dad to do our's if I don't want to get dirty.....
    American parts for cars are dirt cheap over here...My dad had lots of Anerican cars when I was young....They were huge and so easy to fix he said...
      September 18, 2018 5:29 PM MDT

Hey there Rizz
    Rotors are the discs to which the calipers and pads grad to stop...
      September 18, 2018 5:39 PM MDT

Thanks. I’m an idiot when it comes to cars.
      September 18, 2018 6:10 PM MDT

Out of habit, I always do my own auto repairs...
      September 18, 2018 8:18 PM MDT

I was never taught and I’m not mechanically inclined. 
      September 18, 2018 8:58 PM MDT