Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Thebigd
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are you aware of what goes on in commercially-run aged care homes? - And what will you do when it comes to your time to need care?

Are you aware of what goes on in commercially-run aged care homes? - And what will you do when it comes to your time to need care?

https://www.nursinghomeabuseguide.org/

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/four-corners/series/2018/video/NC1803H032S00

Posted - September 22, 2018

Responses

I do know because our oldest son works at a government owed but privatized care home and our youngest sons wife works at a different care home. Some of the stories they tell me are pretty sad so I didn't check out your links. Cheers and happy weekend 
      September 22, 2018 3:06 PM MDT

I worked in four different places over a number of years:
    In community, visiting elders to help them with their daily care in their homes.
    At an ancient govt funded place, built in the 1960's with architecture that made things significantly harder for both residents and staff.
    At a religious (protestant) family-owned privately run business - they owned 16 facilities of over 300 residents each across the country, looked like 5-star hotels in the public and bedroom areas - but behind the scenes the bullying from top management down was unbearable.
    At a facility owned by a stock exchanged listed international consortium, the world's largest. Ran and looked like a cross between a hospital and an insane asylum. The company also owned manufacturers of medicines, medical equipment, hygeine pads, and aides. Despite it's ability to ahlve costs by using its own products - it still  had corridors insufficently lit for residences to see where they were going, "hot" water below tepid (residents complained of the cold everyday), hoist nets not replaced when damaged, insufficient for the number of residents and stinking of urine - and numerous other signs of cost efficiencies. Residents lost weight and went rapidly downhill into depression from the moment they arrived, with anti-depressants having no obvious effect.
    I reported anonymously to the govt, but nothing was done.
    Eventually, I couldn't stand seeing the suffering anymore and left that field of work.
    There is no way in the world that I would ever allow myself to be subjected to that fate.

So I wonder, how do others plan to manage when they can no longer care for themselves?
      September 22, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

Yes, so many horror stories, seems every month we hear of another shut down due to poor standards..  I had always felt I would be happy to go into a home.. I used to joke with my middle child..'when I am old just stick me in a home and I will sit merrily in the corner and drool... '' He replied, ''But mum you do that already..''

I can only hope either I don't have to go to one or I get a nice one.. 
      September 22, 2018 4:03 PM MDT

I worked in one for a couple summers. Where I worked the residents were taken care of well. They of course could have been better if there were more NAs etc but they worked hard and I did not see any abuse.

I was not a NA, I was in housekeeping.
      September 22, 2018 4:05 PM MDT

I would NEVER go to one of those. I would rather lock myself in my office with a large bottle of cheap whiskey and drink myself to death.
      September 22, 2018 4:40 PM MDT

My aged mother had some back surgery and they gave her oxyconten and it messed up her mind. They took her off of it and she came back, and got to go home after a few months in a really well managed nursing facility. She even went back to play the weekly bingo with all the people there. 
      September 22, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

Yes. I've "often" thought: I would like to go to work there and film every singe horrible thing i can and get the place closed down or changes in management made. 
      September 22, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

i'll worry about it then
      September 23, 2018 1:51 PM MDT