Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » When is the last time you were complimented? (Other than here.)

When is the last time you were complimented? (Other than here.)

Posted - September 23, 2018

Responses

• "This morning" ... when I looked in the mirror.  :))
      September 23, 2018 3:13 PM MDT

I like that. So do I.
      September 23, 2018 3:14 PM MDT

How lovely!
    I don't suppose you'd consider changing your avatar for a selfie?
      September 23, 2018 6:34 PM MDT

• And then what?  My address?  :))
      September 24, 2018 5:39 AM MDT

cant rennennber, its been a while
      September 23, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

I get indirect compliments from my fellow writers,
    in the form of thanks for constructive critiques and editing,
    and floods of more work.

This post was edited by inky at September 23, 2018 5:47 PM MDT
      September 23, 2018 3:52 PM MDT

Not long ago at work I had two inmates close to going to blows. I didn’t know at the time my supervisor had walked in to check on us. I was able to diffuse the situation without either man throwing a punch. I was told I did an amazing job at diffusing the situation. 
      September 23, 2018 5:50 PM MDT

I'm developing the impression that you're exceptionally good at your job.
      September 23, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

Thank you. I truly am. I try to be modest but I have received an exceptional rating on my last six annual evaluations. This is the highest rating. Before this streak I had a mix of exceeds expectations or exceptional ratings. My lowest rating was meets expectations on my first evaluation. This is due to no one was given  higher rating during their first year. 
      September 23, 2018 6:52 PM MDT

It sounds like you've been learning from experience.
    But was there anything in your background that helped prepare you for it - 
    like the environment you experienced while growing up,
    or police or armed services training?
    Do they also give training on the job, or have you become one of the trainers?
      September 23, 2018 7:18 PM MDT

My dad worked almost thirty years in a federal prison and retired. I learned a lot from listening to him. I seem to have a natural ability to thrive working corrections. I am able to read people, I’m not easily manipulated, I have common sense, I know how to conduct myself, and I have always excelled at diffusing situations. I’m not officially a trainer, but I’m often sent newbies filling in to mentor and teach. I always tell new staff they can always contact me at work with any questions and concerns. I also have the ability to tell who has what it takes to make it, succeed, and those who won’t last. It’s like I was born for the job. 
      September 23, 2018 7:22 PM MDT

Your Dad must be a pretty awesome person, not just to cope with all that so well,
    but to have the openness to share honestly with you about some pretty grim aspects of life.
    I think it would contribute a lot towards a solid ground of sanity.
    And considering all the neurosis in this world, I think that's pretty rare.

What qualities in a newbie tell you that he or she will probably make it?

How do you diffuse situations?
    Or is it too variable and always depends on the situation and who's involved?
      September 23, 2018 7:32 PM MDT

When I see newbies I look for certsin traits. Like inmates I can smell those who are scared right away. They don’t last. Staff who can’t handle confrontation don’t last. Those who are easily offended don’t make it. Those who show signs of being on a power trip, especially those who were bullied don’t make it. They’re run off. People who are ineffective with communication don’t make it. I pay attention to body language, reactions, and how they respond to situations. Those who show sings of fear during violence don’t make it and are too weak for the job. When they don’t know how to diffuse situations and/or only further escalate priblems they don’t make it. It’s also most obvious when someone has no common sense. They fall for the dumbest things. After 16+ years it’s easy to see who has what it takes. 

As as far as diffsuing hostile or escelated situations depends on each situation and the individuals involved. You have to know their personalities, how to reach them, how to reason with them, and know what motivates them. Obviously it doesn’t always work. I have to consider the situation and who’s involved. It boils down to knowing who’s involved, reasoning with them, and knowing how to reach them. This post was edited by Rizz at September 23, 2018 7:45 PM MDT
      September 23, 2018 7:43 PM MDT

I’m also able to leave my personal life at home and my work life at work. I’m able to to be the same way every day, not display any favoritism, the ability to remain firm, fair, and consintent. I’m always up front and hinest with inmates and staff. If an inmate has something coming to to him I make sure he receives it. If he doesn’t I tell him up front it won’t happen. If they have legitimate complaints and act like an adult discussing them I listen and work for a resolution. I’m respectful as long as I’m respected in return. When I do searches and shakedown I don’t destroy their items and I don’t make a mess in their cells. They know when I become angry and disrespectful the person on the receiving end has earned it. I have earned the respect of inmates and staff alike. I don’t abuse or mistreat inmates. I make sure my subordinate officers don’t either. I am firmly against excessive force and believe in integrity, especially in this line of work. The most amazing part is I have contempt for inmates but it never shows. 
      September 23, 2018 7:30 PM MDT

While I believe in the principle of behaving with respect toward everyone,
    I think I can understand the contempt for prisoners,
    assuming that they're guilty, which probably most are.
    For me, this comes from a horror of the kinds of crimes that earn jail time,
    and an incomprehension of how perpetrators can inflict such suffering and damage on others.
    I understand the psychology of it in theory but have never actually known such people,
    and in all honesty, wouldn't want to. I steer clear the moment I suspect that someone is unbalanced.
    So I'm very grateful that people like you exist. You make life safer for the rest of us. This post was edited by inky at September 23, 2018 7:45 PM MDT
      September 23, 2018 7:40 PM MDT

Thank you for your respect. It’s refreshing to know some respect us. I receive a lot of hate from the general public. We have a large number of anti-law enforcement people in our country. 
      September 23, 2018 7:48 PM MDT

I think this is an unfortunate side-effect of news.
    The media don't intend to have this effect but it comes about as a result of the necessities of news values.

The seven news values are:

Impact - some change or event has an effect on everyone or on a particular group of people; the greater the number, the more newsworthy. Includes any information which may help us make choices or decisions about our lives.
    Includes quoting the statistics on something, the first or last or most recent time it happened, and how serious, frequent, strong, or likely it is.
    Conflict - matters in war, politics, law, ethics, technology, medicine, education, business, finance, culture, and community can have direct effects on us or people we know. 
    Currency -  Some issues which are a matter of public concern involve developing information, debates, responses or events.
    Immediacy - It needs to be reported as soon as it happens, with follow-ups as they become known. It's not news if it's old.
    Proximity - people care most about what happens closest to home or most directly affects them.
    Prominence - Politicians, judges have the power to influence our lives, so what they say and do matters. Likewise experts. People who become famous for achievements and celebrities get reported because people pay for news of them.
    Oddity - Anything unusual or bizarre, the more out of the ordinary the more attention it attracts.

What news doesn't report - because it's not its job - is the good, normal everyday stuff. 
    If the majority of law enforcement does the right thing most of the time - we, the public, take it for granted.
    When law makes mistakes, we get outraged. We expect the law to be above human error, which is unfair. Unfortunately, this can lead to a distorted view. 
    We also expect it to be above all kinds of hypocrisy or corruption - for good reason, but perhaps somewhat unrealistic among so many millions of people. 

And then again, there are the brutal government statistics which show how often law goes wrong - stuff like race crimes and race riots, and this can be very scary.
    It is the instances that go wrong which unfortunately stick in public perceptions.

Woops - I got onto a rave there - hope you don't mind. :/

This post was edited by inky at September 23, 2018 11:11 PM MDT
      September 23, 2018 8:45 PM MDT

Last Thursday and I was really flattered  because a bit of money cane along with the complement (I got complement on the nice work I did and giving a bonus). Cheers!
      September 23, 2018 6:02 PM MDT
  • D&D

I'm not sure if I ever was. I don't remember compliments because they tend to be made in a jealous way.
      September 23, 2018 10:02 PM MDT