Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How do you react when you see others being abused or harassed online?

How do you react when you see others being abused or harassed online?

Posted - September 27, 2018

Responses

I didn't say I would be the one roasting them - I just wouldn't be defending them.
      September 27, 2018 9:58 AM MDT

I don't like to see that and at times I have commented on how I thought it was unfair, etc.  But mostly I think being online is user beware.  A lot of things I think personally think should be unacceptable online are in fact allowed and really there is nothing I can do about that. 
      September 27, 2018 9:27 AM MDT

I agree,  but we can always flag in silence.
      September 27, 2018 9:30 AM MDT

Yes but then the site moderators must weigh the various aspects for themselves.  And don't forget they will not want legal harassment so still may permit some questionable posts if they deem they are with their legal limits. In general I have found that does not work very well.  
      September 27, 2018 9:49 AM MDT

I see it as doing the right thing.  However you are right,  In the end it will be the administration‘s call. This post was edited by Purpleface at October 1, 2018 12:59 AM MDT
      September 27, 2018 11:06 AM MDT

i nnight turn thenn in
      September 27, 2018 11:14 AM MDT

I make a record and report the abuse to the management.

Did this virtually every day back in the old EP days.
    What makes this site so good is the zero tolerance for abuse has eliminated the creeps and trolls.

September 27, 2018 2:54 PM MDT

Nothing.
    Most of the time, the "victim" can block the other user ... or just "walk away".

As one who was physically bullied from elementary through high school - and from knowing kids who have been "cyber bullied", and what was involved - I have no sympathy for the majority of kids who claim "cyber bullying".  Most of it seems to take place on social media sites, where the "victim" CHOOSES to let the "bully" into their group.

"Oh, the (popular) kids said mean things to me, but I HAVE TO have them in my group.  Waaaaah."
    No.  You don't.  You choose to give them further influence in your life.  I have no sympathy for your stupidity.

September 27, 2018 3:44 PM MDT

As a mod here...I handle it. If you see anything we ask that you use the report button (goes to JustAsking) or if you want send me a link. We can use all the help we can get.

On other sites, I will always report it and sometimes I will interject myself to defend the person. This post was edited by my2cents at September 30, 2018 5:32 PM MDT
      September 28, 2018 4:53 AM MDT
  • D&D

This would depend on what happened that I can see and how I identify with the situation at hand. I can feel rage at the perpetrator or sympathethic with him to be quite honest. Or plain blase with the whole thing.

I was told to kill myself not too long ago somewhere (not here) and that is something really new to me. It did not occur to me there are cases like this where people say such things. When that happened there were around 10 people in the chatroom. One defended me quickly and got mad on my behalf and I was heartened. Another did too, later but in a different way and from the tone I can tell that she was done it out of courtesy even though she may have thought it was funny. I did not like that. Two others joined in defending me somewhat. And the rest just watched our (me getting livid and telling her(perp) off) argument and told us to chill the f*ck out.

So all in all, I would not put my faith in the majority just because they are the majority. People protect their interests first, and tend not to intervene even in real life.

I was taught to 'keep my nose out of it' by my parents and 'stay out of trouble' and that meant not getting involved. This post was edited by D&D at October 1, 2018 12:45 AM MDT
      September 30, 2018 8:06 PM MDT

Two thoughts.  The majority do not always do the right thing.  Two, most people do protect their own interests and are usually out for themselves.   I personally never want to be that selfish. This post was edited by Purpleface at October 1, 2018 12:51 AM MDT
      October 1, 2018 12:50 AM MDT