Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you remember the very first song you heard by a musician/group who eventually became one of your very favorites?

Do you remember the very first song you heard by a musician/group who eventually became one of your very favorites?

Mine:

"Yes We Can Can"    The Pointer Sisters

Good heavens, these sisters are still tops to me! I love them immensely!

Posted - October 1, 2018

Responses

Ya Taking Care Of Business by BTO. Cheers!
      October 1, 2018 3:09 PM MDT

Great song and group!
    :)
      October 1, 2018 7:27 PM MDT

Absolutely. The first time I heard this I was blown away. I bugged and begged my parents to buy Pearl Jam’s “Ten” for me. They did and I was hooked. 
      October 1, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

I enjoyed listening and watching! If I were there, I'd not be paying attention and I'm sure I'd be the one fan to get hurt by a band member jumping on me! Ha!
      October 1, 2018 7:37 PM MDT

I’m glad you enjoyed it. The record label demanded they make music videos. They protested by recording liver performances. They have mellowed our sime with age but they still kick butt live. They’re also still energetic and passionate. As much as I was blown away with “Alive”, the entire album was even better. Still my all time favorite album and I personally don’t think a better one exists. Check out these songs from the album:
    ”Jeremy”, “Black”, “Why Go”, “Even Flow”, “Porch”, “Release”, Once”, and “Deep”.  Pretty much the whole album. 
      October 1, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

OMG!! I just went and looked! I have that album!! I so much like "Jeremy" that I sort of have paid most attention to just that song, forgive me!
    I now know what I will be listening to! - - "Alive" - -  in its entirety!
    How fun! I've really enjoyed this!
      October 1, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

I seem to be wrong. I'm listening to the Pearl Jam CD that I thought was "Alive." I think it may be a compilation collection. Here are the songs on it:

Once

Even Flow

Alive

Why Go

Black

Jeremy

Oceans

Porch

Garden

Deep

Release

I'm enjoying. I like the lead singer's voice and style. These guys are certainly good musicians! I don't know why it's taken me this long to pay more attention to listening to this CD.
      October 2, 2018 6:19 PM MDT

“Alive” was the song I I posted from the album “Ten” I spoke about. You are listening to “Ten”.
      October 2, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

Oh, my God. I swear I'm losing it. I just reread your original answer and there it was - -"Ten." And here I thought that "Ten" was just a name for a compilation collection of theirs. "Ten" - - right there on the cover.

Time to pack it up for the evening for me maybe! Ha!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 2, 2018 6:27 PM MDT
      October 2, 2018 6:25 PM MDT

LOL
    We all have those moments. 
      October 2, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

Thanks, Rizz! I'm glad you laughed along with me, ha!
      October 2, 2018 6:28 PM MDT

no
      October 1, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

Ah, shucks.
    I sort of cherish the memory of first hearing The Pointer Sisters.
      October 1, 2018 7:28 PM MDT

• Aurora by Bjork, it was on a cdfrom a magazine, i heard of her before then but never really took to her till then.
      October 1, 2018 8:33 PM MDT

I adore Bjork -- and the only thing I really know her from is her starring role in the movie "Dancer in the Dark." She wrote the music for the film, too. If I had to choose, I'd choose this movie as The Best Movie I've Ever Seen. Especially since you already like her, I highly recommend this movie!
      October 1, 2018 9:45 PM MDT

• Love that film, like Duvall, she was traumatized by Von Trier .....:)
      October 1, 2018 10:15 PM MDT

Yeah, you're right. I've read that about her a couple of times - - can't remember specifics, though. I remember also reading about Bjork's challenges with doing the movie from the perspective of her co-star Catherine Deneuve. I like Deneuve a lot, too -- as usual, Deneuve is excellent to me in the movie.

I like that train scene the most in the movie, if I had to pick a scene.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 2, 2018 7:08 AM MDT
      October 2, 2018 7:06 AM MDT

I was eleven.
    Flowers changed their name to Icehouse in 1981, when informed of a name clash with pre-existing Scottish band The Flowers.
      October 1, 2018 11:10 PM MDT

Thanks for sharing the song! I had not heard it before.
    I know you really like Icehouse and its cool to hear the song you first heard.
      October 2, 2018 7:02 AM MDT

• This is the very first song by the group Cusco that I ever heard and it didn't take long before I had all their albums.

Cusco - "Montezuma"

October 2, 2018 7:35 AM MDT

I promise I'll be back to listen to this! Thanks for answering!
      October 2, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

Nice!
    I like the percussive nature of it.
      October 5, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

Well I did enjoy a lot that Marvin Gaye did in the 1970s. But not what I heard on the radio of his in the 60s - Can I Get A Witness, How Sweet It is  and like those I did not care for at all.  Then later when he came out with Inner City Blues  and Mercy Me and Let's Get It On I did not know it was the same person.  
      October 2, 2018 7:31 PM MDT

Hey, officegirl - - I'm sorry I did not reply to your answer. I remember reading it and thinking it was interesting! And then somehow I didn't relay that to you. So, I relay it to you now.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 10, 2018 8:16 PM MDT
      October 5, 2018 7:03 PM MDT