Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » What sorts of images or art hang or your walls at home?

What sorts of images or art hang or your walls at home?

Posted - October 1, 2018

Responses

I have a unique print of a depiction of Guttenburg printing something...circa 1960.
      October 1, 2018 7:27 PM MDT

That would be fascinating to scrutinize. :)
    What a fabulous moment in history, for all that stemmed from it since.
    Sounds worthy of a museum or major art gallery.
    Where did you find the print?
      October 1, 2018 7:32 PM MDT

It was given to my wife by one of her clients. I find it fascinating. Mayhap I should take it to our museum of art?
      October 1, 2018 7:35 PM MDT

Wow! The client must really appreciate her work! :)

Too wonderful to give up - why not continue to enjoy it while you can?

But might you and your wife consider leaving it to your local museum in your wills...?
      October 1, 2018 7:38 PM MDT

Not a bad Idea...I could just take it to them and give it to them. But it belongs to her, and she won't give anything away.
      October 1, 2018 7:42 PM MDT

I have quite a lot of original movie posters from movies I like, matted and framed and hanging on many of my walls.
    Maybe I'll just start posting some here.
    :)
    If I do, I may just post them as separate answers.

I actually have four different original posters for Gus VanSant's "Elephant." A wonderful but upsetting movie. Amazing movie. i have posters from USA, France and Korea (I think! Shame on me - - I forget! And I'm no language expert.)

Here's the one I have from USA.

Image result for Elephant Van Sant movie poster
      October 1, 2018 7:49 PM MDT

Hmm.
    I'm beginning to get the impression that you're quite the film buff.
    What kinds of movies do you most like to see?
      October 1, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

I'd say I'm pretty open to any movie, I don't have a certain genre, I guess, once I think about it.

What just popped into my head - - I really try to know NOTHING about a movie before I see it. I very purposely try to avoid seeing any detailed trailers - - to me, most trailers show WAY too much of the movie. And here's my point: I saw one of the trailers for the movie "Cloverfield." And all it was was, at night, and the camera slowly approached the Statue of Liberty in New York City, NY, USA. The camera keeps panning past the statue and goes toward the city in one continuous motion. It gets to the city. Then we hear a godawfully loud inhuman shriek/yell/roar - - and then the head of the statue flies by and falls onto the street. 
    Screen goes black.
    And it then shows only "Cloverfield 2008"

I was hooked.
    Had to see it.

And that movie petrified me! I had no idea what it was about. All I knew was what I saw in this trailer. I'll not share what it's about. But that movie roared over me completely. (And I seem to be the only person I know who was absolutely terrified by this movie.)

LONG answer to your question, ha!

But, more to the point, as I think back on so many of my favorite movies -- they comprise a huge variety of genres and styles.

I don't have a poster for Cloverfield -- after seeing it,I don't want to think about it anymore.

Related image This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 1, 2018 8:14 PM MDT
      October 1, 2018 8:12 PM MDT

Love long answers - they're always the most interesting.

Seeing a huge variety of genres and styles enriches each one - by virtue of its contrast with others.

My favorites would be films like Manon des Sources, Babette's Feast, My Dinner with Andre - the common element is that that show something profound but somewhat unusual about human nature, and do it beautifully.

I tend to avoid most horror movies.
    Occasionally I've watched very old ones which were considered horrific in their day, but are now considered relatively mild.
    They can still manage to terrify me - don't really like the experience.

But it raises an interesting question... will post it. :)
      October 1, 2018 8:22 PM MDT

Of those you listed that you liked, I've only seen "Babette's Feast." I enjoyed that one a lot.

Your comment here made me think of Michael Haneke films. His movies all have that profound quality about human nature and I find his films beautifully done. Yet, his films that I've seen are unnerving and/or disturbing. Sometimes, VERY disturbing. His 1997 "Funny Games" is THE most disturbing film I've seen - - yet I also find it a wondrous masterpiece. (I've not seen Haneke's American remake of the same movie. His original is an Austrian film.)

The movie that first popped into my head while reading your comment was Haneke's "The Seventh Continent." A quiet strange and rather uncomfortable yet intriguing movie. It's part of a trilogy that includes "Benny's Video" and "71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance." I like them all -- but I've liked every Haneke film I've seen. He's my favorite director.
    I recommend his films a lot. But they're not for everyone. Stuff I've read about Haneke and his work -- it seems to me people either really like his stuff or they abhor it. I'm probably exaggerating that, though.
    Image result for The seventh continent movie poster

October 1, 2018 9:33 PM MDT

Another great movie to me. I really like Julianne Moore.
    And the colors in this poster are fantastic!

Image result for Far from Heaven movie poster This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 1, 2018 7:59 PM MDT
      October 1, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

I think this is my oldest one? Maybe? Unsure of the release dates on some of the movies.

"Rosemary's Baby" - - this is the one I have; it's a teaser poster. All it says on it - - "Pray for Rosemary's Baby"

Image result for Rosemary's Baby movie poster This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 1, 2018 7:59 PM MDT
      October 1, 2018 7:53 PM MDT

Aah, that was a truly harrowing film.
    It was shown to us at boarding school when I was 13 as part of the "sex education" program. Way too young.
    Despite my lack of belief in the existence of Satan, it put me right off having a baby - most of the other girls had the same reaction.
    It backfired for the school - the organizers had intended to make us wary of sex and unintentional pregnancies, not of becoming mothers.
      October 1, 2018 8:11 PM MDT

Wow! That's a fascinating story of how you saw this movie! I saw it first as an adult and it really freaked me. What a great cast, too!
      October 1, 2018 8:16 PM MDT

Yes, the cast were awesome. Liked many of the films they appeared in over the years.
    Something about a great actor - the ability to see into the feelings and motivations of characters even when they've never lived through it themselves. It would have to be one of the best exemplars of the capacity for empathy. In some ways, it could be said that via what they do, they help us to have more empathy too.
      October 1, 2018 8:26 PM MDT

I think you might be right there, Nom de Plume.

October 1, 2018 9:17 PM MDT

Anything nautical related. I don't know why, I just like it. Maybe it has something to do with that old painting of a ship that's been on the wall forever and I just decided that would be the theme for my room.
      October 1, 2018 9:30 PM MDT

• "I have one of these hanging on my bedroom wall." 

There is a story behind it, but it is
     bad form to speak ill of the dead.
      October 1, 2018 11:35 PM MDT

None, beyond what my youngest has drawn on them. :/
      October 1, 2018 11:43 PM MDT

• Ah ... children, children. They are your blessing in your old age - Yenta, the Matchmaker.  
      October 2, 2018 12:10 AM MDT

Pics of the kids, grandkids - and paintings of tigers and Australian country scenes. My better half has always had a thing for big cats,  and she's a country girl who misses the bush. 
      October 2, 2018 3:58 AM MDT

We have mostly original landscapes, a few of them prints.  They are paintings I bought at auctions when I was single.
      October 2, 2018 5:33 AM MDT

Time to relax from all this serious stuff ------- time for a Three Stooges break!
      October 2, 2018 6:56 AM MDT

Usually whatever I like...anything from family photos to various art work.
      October 2, 2018 8:24 AM MDT