Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Is Your Refrigerator a Terrorist?

Is Your Refrigerator a Terrorist?

Another entry in the "Truth is Stranger than Fiction" category.

Kerry: Air conditioners as big a threat as ISIS

Posted - August 19, 2016

Responses

Right.  Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.  LOL!

In short, Sharonna, your point is vacuous.  If you go to a concert or a ballgame, you can safely wager that only two or three people--maybe ten--out of ten thousand want to hasten your demise in the most egregious manner possible.  All you have to do is discover which ones. :-)

August 20, 2016 3:11 PM MDT

Ha, that's good!

:)

August 20, 2016 3:58 PM MDT

As my English Lit/Sociology professor used to say (paraphrased): "language forces language." When people use broad generalizations, they force others in the conversation to use them.  Eventually, discourse degrades into meaningless gibber.

August 20, 2016 5:41 PM MDT

"First off, your personal, anecdotal experience does not constitute data."

If I were preparing a whitepaper with the intent of publishing it in a scientific journal, your point would be relevant.  Nevertheless, the notion of accidental 'refrigerant exposure' is absurd!  What qualifies me to know?  Twenty years' experience in maintaining institutional, residential and industrial air conditioning and refrigeration equipment.  What have you got?  More 'refrigerant exposure' nonsense? LOL!  (BTW, sweet cheeks, YOU were the one who proffered the original premise in re: 'refrigerant exposure' and the lethality thereof.  The onus of providing data is on YOU, not me.)

"Second, to make claims about lives saved vs lives lost is pointless due to the lack of relevant data."

Same response as above.  Be that as it may, no rational individual would dispute that refrigeration (in particular) has been a boon to medicine, healthcare, manufacturing, etc.

"Third, you've not addressed the environmental impact, which is what I presume was the context of Kerry's statement."

I didn't address the environmental impact because Kerry didn't address the environmental impact--AS he SHOULD have done.  Rather than do so, he opted to pop off with some activist nonsense in order to garner attention. He got it.  More people now think he's a buffoon than had done so PRIOR to his effluxion of verbal excrement.

"Fourth, you've not actually presented any meaningful data on the actual deaths that can be attributes to ISIS in particular."

Right.  I left that part off assuming anyone who was interested could google the death toll all by themselves.  :-)

"So the Fox guy is still an ignorant blowhard, and you are being uncritical and gullible by agreeing with him."

Like the rest of your diatribe passing off as rebuttal, your conclusion is fallacious.  I've given you no indication, whatsoever, that I believe "the Fox guy."  All I did was post a link to an article.

I'll give you high marks for your effort here, but that's about it. Keep trying, L'il Trooper!  :-)

August 20, 2016 6:06 PM MDT

If you're asking Bozette, I think she's a libertarian.  Libertarians don't support elitists--conservative or liberal.

If you're asking me, I'm a libertarian. I CERTAINLY don't support elitists of ANY stripe.

That said, I do have a vague desire to see Trump win.  Not because I think he'd be a great president--we're screwed either way--but because he drives statist quo liberals/conservatives absolutely bonkers!

August 20, 2016 6:21 PM MDT

It's suitable for framing. :-)

August 20, 2016 6:25 PM MDT

Oh, my gosh!!  We have TWO refrigerators!  I better call Fatherland Security now! 

August 19, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

Idiots everywhere are deeply offended by your association of them with John Kerry. :-)

August 19, 2016 4:23 PM MDT

• When it kills 160 people I'll deem it a terrorist but until then my refrigerator gets away free :)

August 19, 2016 4:53 PM MDT

Not a direct quote, but it is what he said in a nutshell. It dates back to the 1992 Rio Earth Summit from which Agenda 21 was spawned. Here's a quote from that summit:

Industrialized countries [Americans] have “developed and benefited from the unsustainable patterns of production and consumption which have produced our present dilemma. It is clear that current lifestyles and consumption pattern of the affluent middle class – involving high meat intake, consumption of large amounts of frozen and convenience foods, use of fossil fuels, appliances, home and work-place air-conditioning and suburban housing – are not sustainable. A shift is necessary toward lifestyles less geared to environmentally damaging consumption patterns.”
    - Maurice Strong

There have been many more meetings and summits and whatnot in the 20+ years since, one of which Kerry was attending, and I notice that many of the attendees fly to these meetings in private jets, they meet in air conditioned venues, and I'd bet that the majority of them are eating meat at their meals. They live and work in air-conditioned buildings, ride around in air-conditioned vehicles and jet around the world for business and pleasure, most of them have one or more homes, often on large estates...can you say hypocrisy?

He explains why national sovereignty is unsustainable in an essay:

“The concept of national sovereignty has been an immutable, indeed sacred, principle of international relations. It is a principle which will yield only slowly and reluctantly to the new imperatives of global environmental cooperation. What is needed is recognition of the reality that in so many fields, and this is particularly true of environmental issues, it is simply not feasible for sovereignty to be exercised unilaterally by individual nation-states, however powerful. The global community must be assured of environmental security.”

-Stockholm to Rio: A Journey Down a Generation

I have no problem with being good stewards of the earth. That isn't what this is about, however, it is about money and control. And those who stand to gain that money and control are the worst environmental offenders on the earth.

August 19, 2016 4:55 PM MDT

"I have no problem with being good stewards of the earth. That isn't what this is about, however, it is about money and control. And those who stand to gain that money and control are the worst environmental offenders on the earth."

Abso-damned-lutely, and it's incumbent upon all of us to expose this anti-humanist agenda at every possible opportunity.  Consider it a moral imperative. :-)

Merchants of Despair, read it, live it, love it...and buy lots of copies for your friends.

August 19, 2016 5:43 PM MDT

Why do you hate your country, man?!  LOL!

August 19, 2016 5:47 PM MDT

A/C and refrigerators use dangerous chemicals. There have been direct fatalities from refrigerant exposure. Also, older refrigerants contained chlorine, which destroys ozone in the atmosphere. It would be interesting to compare how many people have died from ISIS attacks, vs A/C and refrigeration. But nah, let's just nod our heads at the Fox News blowhard.
      August 19, 2016 6:02 PM MDT

In general, when it comes to environmental issues, even if they were absolute, undeniable proof of the dangers civilization ( or refrigerators, ha!) contribute to earthly problems, I don't think the world's citizens would do a thing to change their behaviors.

Hi Nimitz, I wasn't able to read your link, sorry --  my page kept getting attacked by ad after ad after ad after pop-up after pop up . .  ha!

but I caught the main drift I believe.

August 19, 2016 6:06 PM MDT

Oh! I originally thought your question was about the food I keep in my refrigerator wreaking terror on my body, ha!

August 19, 2016 6:12 PM MDT

• I loathe politicians or any other talking heads who allow their need to be the centre of attention to influence what happens when their jaws flap.  To address the comparison made, I have no idea of the raw figures and I don't really care, because what good is comparing like with unlike?

It's perfectly possible to get across the idea that what we do today may well damage others or the environment, and that we should limit that as soon as possible and as much as possible.  Absolutely no need at all to attempt to make it (barely) into a soundbite.

The man needs his feet put in a vice until he promises to stop doing that kind of thing.

August 19, 2016 6:20 PM MDT