Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Is there a song from a movie that now, every time you hear it, you think of the movie?

Is there a song from a movie that now, every time you hear it, you think of the movie?

One incredibly strong association for me is "Blessed Assurance" from the very opening of the movie "Places in the Heart"

I love the movie

And besides the very ending scene, this opening credits scene is the scene I remember the most; due in large part to the performance of this song

"Blessed Assurance" has never sounded better to me than this choir's performance for the movie score, 
    Bethel Community Church with a very talented Cheryl Hardwick at the piano

Two stunning minutes for me; give it a listen

:)

Posted - October 14, 2018

Responses

Your choice is interesting to me.  I have heard award-winning choirs sing Blessed Assurance with strength that shakes the windows.  This rendition is just as I have heard and sung it in Church services many many times.  That movie is wonderful!

Lori Carson is one of my favorite songwriters. And singers.  Most people don't know who she is.  She writes a lot of songs for movies.  One of my favorite, though not hugely popular, movies is Waking The Dead with Jennifer Connelly and Billy Crudup. 

Waking the Dead Poster
    The song from the movie that I so love is called Snow Come Down.

October 14, 2018 11:23 PM MDT

I've heard of this movie, "Waking the Dead." but I've never seen it. I admit I've never heard of this song or singer. The song is such a quiet, little and so-very-honest song. I liked it. And within the context of the entire song, even the f-word somehow comes across to me as intimate and caring, not suddenly shocking at all.

"Blessed Assurance" from "Places in the Heart" - - that very first expansive opening shot of Waxahachie, Texas grabs me and pulls me in - - and then the various scenes of the various settings and people. And the choir singing  --  it's that same intimate, personal, rather almost everyday-sounding group of people singing that you alluded to, that I somehow find much more powerful than professional huge choirs performing up to incredibly perfect standards.
    And the effective vocal harmonies here work so well to me -- and hints of some wonderful tenors soaring into some beautiful high notes.
    I don't know --  this "Blessed Assurance" maybe has the same sort of intimacy of the "Snow Come Down" song to me. The earthy, honest (that word again) tones of the choir, the support of the piano accompaniment -- resonate so strongly to me in their unassuming praise.
    Fits the movie perfectly.
    I agree with you so much -- a wonderful movie!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 15, 2018 7:36 PM MDT
      October 15, 2018 7:27 PM MDT

I re-read my first reply -- I think I was sort of unclear. I still do enjoy and admire professional choirs. Along with those incredible choirs, this choir in the movie also speaks to me in a different way somehow. The choir is probably not "much more powerful," I guess - -  just different in a way that really resonates with me.
      October 16, 2018 1:01 PM MDT

• Midnight Cowboy Everybodies Talkin'  At Meeeeee'eeeeeeeeeee
      October 14, 2018 11:26 PM MDT

Hey, where did my reply go?

I'll post it again -- 

"Nice! Yes!"

October 15, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

• Hey! Thank you!
      October 15, 2018 10:46 PM MDT

October 16, 2018 7:03 PM MDT

:  ) :  )
      October 15, 2018 1:06 AM MDT

Me, too, MorningStar, me, too.
      October 15, 2018 7:31 PM MDT

Paint Your Wagon 

October 15, 2018 2:38 AM MDT

Shame on me, I've never seen this movie. I love the murky, dark atmosphere of this scene you posted. And I like the blending of his rough singing voice with the smooth, clear tones of the male chorus behind him.
      October 15, 2018 7:37 PM MDT

• "Sure"

"Axel F" - Beverly Hills Cop
    "Countrylypso" - Cool Runnings
    "Fight to Survive" - Bloodsport
    "Top Gun Anthem" - Top Gun
    "Colonel Bogey March" - Bridge on the River Kwai
    "If I Were a Rich Man" - Fiddler on the Roof
    "Rae's Arrival" - Medicine Man
    "Man of Constant Sorrow" - O Brother, Where Art Thou?

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 20, 2018 11:40 PM MDT
      October 15, 2018 3:09 AM MDT

O Brother Where Art Thou, is a great song, loved the movie as well. 
      October 15, 2018 5:01 AM MDT

I haven't seen all of these movies. But the songs here that I do know -- I like.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 15, 2018 11:18 PM MDT
      October 15, 2018 7:38 PM MDT

Deborah's theme and Amapelo ,both from Once Upon A Time in America...both are quite haunting......
    The Long Road from the Princess Bride....Bonnie Raitt from the film Micheal...John Travolta plays an Arc Angel in it and she sings "Feels like Home to me".  All are so amazing,,,,:)
      October 15, 2018 6:58 AM MDT

I think I've seen "Michael" -- yeah, I'm sure. I remember Jean Stapleton in it. That's the only movie I've seen here of those you've mentioned.
    Sounds like these songs would comprise an eclectic group.
      October 15, 2018 7:42 PM MDT

Have you neve seen "Once upon a Time in America" ...it's worth it just to hear the music played throughout it...:)
      October 16, 2018 11:41 AM MDT

The score from Dances with Wolves is one of the most haunting scores I've ever heard.  When I think of that movie, I think of how badly we treated the only true Americans.
      October 15, 2018 9:34 AM MDT

You know -- I've seen this movie and I think I may have blocked it out of my memory? Perhaps for the reason you mention -- the treatment of Native Americans. I remember it as a very good movie, though. And composer John Barry is one of my favorite composers for movies. 
      October 15, 2018 7:46 PM MDT

It was with Kevin Costner and the score is just breathtaking.
      October 15, 2018 8:17 PM MDT

Yeah, that's it - - that's the movie I saw.
    I admit I don't so much remember the music for some reason but I know you're right about the music, even if it's only by people like you mentioning it and talking about it. And I've read a lot of music critics praising it.

October 15, 2018 8:29 PM MDT

See if you can find the score.  You won't be disappointed. :)
      October 16, 2018 5:22 AM MDT

Hey, thanks, SpunkySenior. I bet you're right.
      October 16, 2018 9:06 AM MDT

I can only agree on both counts...Greedy Europeans are responsible for all those deaths...
      October 16, 2018 11:45 AM MDT