Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Is there someone from the past you still wonder about sometimes?

Is there someone from the past you still wonder about sometimes?

A lost friend, or a past lover you find yourself thinking about every now and again?

In my case I remember her during long quiet drives. Or at night when it rains. Or every time I hear the word gypsy. 
She used to fly thru my window every morning and perch on my shoulder. Then one day, she didn't anymore.

Posted - October 16, 2018

Responses

I often think about and fondly remember a great supervisor I had at the prison. He was rhe best supervisor I’ll ever have. He was the same way every day. He treated everyone fairly. He didn’t play favorites. He didn’t resort to automatically writing people up. When he came to do post checks he stayed for at least 15-20 minutes. Most stayed 2 minutes. He knew how to deal with everyone as an individual based on their personality. He was always there for everyone. Not just job related, but for personal problems as well. He never bad mouthed anyone behind their back to anyone else. I still miss having him. 
      October 16, 2018 5:46 PM MDT

• What happenned to him?
      October 16, 2018 6:01 PM MDT

He retired and moved.
      October 16, 2018 6:06 PM MDT

• I can see why he made such an impression. I think those who can balance commitment to the work with love and caring for their subordinates make the best "bosses". Tough as nails on the outside. But still soft enough inside to care. Thanks for your great answer. 
      October 16, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

Sounds like a great guy for sure.
      October 16, 2018 8:06 PM MDT

I had a "friend" with DID. Some of his personalities seemed to like me and others didn't. Or, maybe none of them liked me in the end. I don't know why, but I still took it personally... kinda makes me wonder which of us was really nuttier. 
      October 16, 2018 6:11 PM MDT

• What is DID? I take it is some sort of identity disorder?
      October 16, 2018 6:15 PM MDT

Indeed. Dissociative Identity Disorder for the PC folks aka Multiple Personality Disorder for the kiddies following along at home. 
      October 16, 2018 6:23 PM MDT

• Oh sure. That's a tough one. I also had a "friend" with thinking issues. And. . yes. . it is sooooo hard not to take things personally. Especially when you don't know which one of them is going to greet you at the door.
    What ever happenned to him?
      October 16, 2018 6:34 PM MDT

Exactly. You never can tell with those types. 

Could be he moved onto greener pastures, joined the witness protection program, or just kept a low profile. Sometimes I think I've caught a glimpse of him in a crowd and other times it's like there's fragments of him everywhere. C'est la vie. I'll raise my coffee mug and toast both our friends. May they be well everywhere they are. 
      October 17, 2018 9:36 AM MDT

• Fragments of him everywhere. That's very good. That's exactly how it is. Great turn of phrase. I might steal it someday. Thank you Ms. JA
      October 25, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

No. I rarely look back.
      October 16, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

• Why not Jane? There must be at least one person you remember fondly, no?
      October 16, 2018 6:36 PM MDT

I know, right?
    ~
      October 24, 2018 6:05 AM MDT

• Great smile there my friend. Ckuldnt help but to smile myself. Thanks. :)
      October 24, 2018 7:48 PM MDT

Ya my buddy Begley  - that wasn't his real name I just called him that because he was always bumming money from people. But he helped me survive living in a bad neighbourhood so I'll always be thankful for him and I think about him often (we lost touch about 30 years ago). Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at October 24, 2018 6:05 AM MDT
      October 16, 2018 6:39 PM MDT

• What a nice experience. Seems like sometimes we meet people when we need them doesn't it?. Thanks for sharing.
      October 16, 2018 8:41 PM MDT

A male friend from high school.

We were on the track team together. At an away meet, our senior year, for some reason that I can't remember, I was on the bus alone during the day-long meet. He then came onto the bus -- we were alone.
    He asked me, "Are you gay?"
    Of course, I knew I was but at that time I had never "officially" shared that with any of my friends/acquaintances.
    I answered him by lying -- "No."

He never brought it up again.

About two and a half years after we graduated, he had an accident that killed him.

I think of him off and on, rather regularly.
    I so very regret not sharing my being gay with him.

To be honest -- though, of course, I can't be certain --  I believe he may have been gay, too - - he was very handsome, built like a rock, nice -- and, like me, never had a girlfriend. Since he only asked me when we were completely alone, I think he might have been reaching out.

I've been to his grave and have apologized to him.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 24, 2018 6:06 AM MDT
      October 16, 2018 8:04 PM MDT

• I'm fairly sure that he was probably gay as well. What a bummer that he died like that. Such a sad thing. I'm sure that from his point of view and wherever his spirit is, apologies are not necessary.  
    Thank you for sharing my friend.
      October 16, 2018 8:46 PM MDT

You're welcome, Dystopian.
    And thank you, too.
      October 17, 2018 8:14 AM MDT

Yes.  Just yes!
      October 16, 2018 11:28 PM MDT

• That's good enough. Thank you .
      October 25, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

I think we all do to some extent but for me no one in particular but, when I am in the mood, could be anyone. The lives of so many touch and affect ours so natural on occasion to thing about what may have happened to them.  But mostly I live in the present though becoming older the past does seem to loom larger but the personalities which populated it less so.  Which I guess is weird because they are so much of what made the past what it was!
      October 17, 2018 6:03 AM MDT

• This...

"the past does seem to loom larger but the personalities which populated it less so.  Which I guess is weird because they are so much of what made the past what it was!"

Beautiful writing my friend. There's nothing I could add to that. So I'll leave it here.
      October 25, 2018 9:40 AM MDT