Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Ever been contacted by the "IRS" telling you that theres a warrant for you arrest?

Ever been contacted by the "IRS" telling you that theres a warrant for you arrest?

Got a letter saying that because I had not filed my taxes properly, I owed the IRS $2500.00 dollars. 

I said.. . umm..ok? 

A couple of days later, my daughter got one as well.

Posted - October 17, 2018

Responses

No, I never have.  However, there are all kinds of scams out there, so before you do anything, make sure you are dealing with the IRS.  If there's a telephone number to call, check the reverse directory first.
      October 17, 2018 9:44 AM MDT

sounds like a scannnner
      October 17, 2018 9:51 AM MDT

• It was
      October 17, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

Yes.
    I told them "Thanks for the notice.  I'll start prepping my guns, now." then hung up.
      October 17, 2018 10:58 AM MDT

• Funniest thing is that when I called the number, a man with the thickest Indian or Pakistani accent said his name was Jamie Hamilton. I said. . Jamie Hamilton..that's your name....Jamie. . Hamilton...you.. He said, yes sir.  I was like. . .Ok.
    I asked to talk to his supervisor and I can swear it was the same guy. I said. . dude. . you're the same guy as before..
    I strung him along for about three days. Then he told me to stop calling him.   This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 17, 2018 7:14 PM MDT
      October 17, 2018 3:27 PM MDT

I got an automated call about that last week. It warned me that the "cops" were coming for me. I feel bad for people who think it's legit and give them money.
      October 17, 2018 11:21 AM MDT

• Oh yes yes yes. They got my daughter with that One. He said that 30 minutes after he disconnected the call, the local police would be at her door! She was freaking out. Again it was just some guy from india named Arnold something. 
    True, they do steal millions from trusting or scared or the elderly who know not any better. 
      October 17, 2018 3:32 PM MDT

• Hi JA,

As did I. I hae received several of these types of scams including the "Microsoft Represenative" calling me to inform me that they have detected a virus coming from my Computer.  

I have called the police on these hacks when they called in the past, but unless you have a legit return phone number within the US, you are S**t out of luck. That what the cops said. You'll never get that anyways because they are spoofed.

My fave thing is to lead them on and keep them on the phone as long as possible. It makes them crazy because it wastes their time.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 17, 2018 10:33 PM MDT
      October 17, 2018 6:47 PM MDT

Hey, there, Judas Goat!
    :)
      October 17, 2018 8:00 PM MDT

• Hi Welby! It's been a long time.

It's good to see you again. How have you been?
      October 18, 2018 12:51 PM MDT

Good to see, too! I've been really well. I hope you have, too.
    :)
      October 18, 2018 6:25 PM MDT

:/ Yes, and they're probably in India or Nigeria or something. 

Good to see you around!!!
      October 17, 2018 10:26 PM MDT

• Ot Pakistan!

It's good to see you, too JA.

It's always nice to see old friends

I have a question...I noticed that that pesky music that was somehow embedded in my profile is gone (YAY!)
    Do you racall this discussion? It's gone now. Did y'all make updates oir changes recently?
      October 18, 2018 12:44 PM MDT

Hmm... I have not had the dev on in ages. I remember what you're talking about though. That is curious. It was on his to-do list, but he stopped to-doing. I just don't remember when. Many months ago. But, maybe he did fix it. 
      October 18, 2018 7:51 PM MDT

Yes I got one---but it was on an answering machine on a number that I only give out to people I don't want contacting me.

I got it about 5 days later.

That was a while ago---and I was aware of the scam at the time.
      October 17, 2018 11:57 AM MDT

• You were smarter than I was. I didn't know it was a scam until I called the sheriff department asking if there really was a warrant for my arrest.
      October 17, 2018 3:35 PM MDT

Well I got contacted by scammers pretending to be the IRS and they said if I didn't contact them within 24 hours the police will issue a warrant for my arrest. I  figured it was a scam but it worried me a little bit because I'm too pretty to go to prison. Cheers!
      October 18, 2018 1:52 PM MDT

• Aren't we all??  ????
      October 18, 2018 4:06 PM MDT

The taxman has not been in touch for years. It's a bit ominous. 
      October 19, 2018 5:30 AM MDT

The second year of our marriage we were investigated by the IRS for tax fraud. Which cost us plenty in lawyer and accountant fees.  We were finally absolved of any wrongdoing. 
      October 19, 2018 5:40 AM MDT

Nope I missed out on that one. Maybe they know I do owe taxes so no need to call me. 
      October 19, 2018 10:03 AM MDT