Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Questions » Legal » If you were the Czarina or Czar of currently standing traffic laws/statutes, which ones would you abolish as no longer necessary?

If you were the Czarina or Czar of currently standing traffic laws/statutes, which ones would you abolish as no longer necessary?

Posted - October 23, 2018

Responses

The ones that were put in place during the "horse and buggy" era.

EG: The law that requires cars to be proceeded by someone carrying a lantern.
    Or the law that requires cars to stop at all intersections, have someone walk into the intersection with a lamp, and only when they signal it is clear may the car proceed.
      October 23, 2018 9:09 AM MDT

Actually, for cars to PROCEED, they had to be PRECEDED by someone carrying a lantern. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at October 23, 2018 7:54 PM MDT
      October 23, 2018 9:16 AM MDT

And yet you didn't even point out Randy's typo.
      October 23, 2018 7:52 PM MDT

Which one? You didn't point it out either.
      October 23, 2018 8:42 PM MDT

He has since fixed it. Someone else pointed it out. I have told him many times that he should proofread before posting.
      October 24, 2018 3:57 AM MDT

OK
      October 24, 2018 9:05 AM MDT

• Midnight red lights.
      October 23, 2018 9:18 AM MDT

Yes. I just run them after stopping.
      October 23, 2018 10:38 AM MDT

• I don't even do thst thru some neighborhoods. I just go. I prefer a ticket to a bullet.
      October 23, 2018 10:43 AM MDT

Oh, yeah...down where my sister lives. I rarely go there...never at night.
      October 23, 2018 10:50 AM MDT

i dont know anything about thenn
      October 23, 2018 9:39 AM MDT

currently currenty
      October 23, 2018 9:46 AM MDT

Awesome.
      October 23, 2018 10:37 AM MDT

Even if you are an illegal, you can still get a license.  This needs to be stopped and changed Immediately, if not sooner.   It is outrageous.  There is NO way to put a spin on this and make it right.  Illegals should not be allowed to drive or have any government aide.  They aren't here legally!  What part of that is so hard to get?  Grrrrrrrr. They don't pay taxes that help the roads.  Many of them can't read English, let alone know the laws of the road.

Stop building round-a-bouts.  It works in England but Not in America.  We have enough trouble trying to figure out to merge and yield.  Don't put an island in the middle of a circle and except people to have a clue.  Also, people won't let you in on a straight road to begin with.  What makes you think this is going to make an already touchy problem better?  When you confuse them, it makes them even grumpier.

I think we can abolish the law that women can't drive in their house coats.  Maybe she doesn't have anything on underneath.  I think house coat driving would be o.k.
    In Redlands, I am going to assume everyone has broken the law daily.  I don't know of any men nor seen a man with a lantern in front of a moving vehicle.
    And last but not least, San Francisco.  For as free-spirited as S.F. claims to be, you would think washing your car with someone's underwear would be o.k.  Most undies are made of soft cotton and they wouldn't scratch your car.  I don't see a problem with this idea.  Let's take this law to the can and dump it. 

This post was edited by Merlin at October 23, 2018 7:58 PM MDT
      October 23, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

We have a street here with a round-a-bout on each end. And I agree with you about the housecoats...women should drive naked.
      October 23, 2018 10:52 AM MDT

Driving in a round-a-bout really fast with a housecoat on might make it whirl up and you could see!  But better yet, you know we DO drive naked everywhere we go.  Do your "undress her glasses" need to be upgraded?  Please let me know and I'll get you a new pair. ;);)
      October 23, 2018 10:58 AM MDT

I agree with abolishing roundabouts. Where I live, no one understands what Yield signs mean. Maybe they should also replace all Yield signs with stops signs.
      October 23, 2018 7:54 PM MDT

Roundabouts are stupid. We even have one with 2 lanes....I am amazed there is not a wreck daily.
      October 23, 2018 8:01 PM MDT

Me too!  Every time I go see my parents I have to use them.  Near where my sister lives too.  I don't think I've gone through them correctly on the first try.  I'm never in the the lane needed and I end up getting off and having to go to through them again.  Sometimes the lucky "3's a charm" falls into play and I get it.  It's gotten to the point where I add and extra 1/2 hour to my drive time anywhere I go up there.  I'm not a dumb cookie when it comes to driving but others don't seem to know what they are doing either.
    We must look like confused rats running in a maze.  Someone has a really sick sense of humor.  
    I'm with you.  I am surprised there aren't wrecks in them daily.  Excellent observation.  :) :)
      October 24, 2018 11:19 AM MDT

Hello there RandyD
    This may not be a direct, or correct  answer to your question as it doesn't seek to abolish an unnecessary law, but rather to bring back a law which was deemed unnecessary.
    On the roads in my community there was once signage which stated " Pedestrian bicycles and motor driven cycles prohibited". Woodside is very bicycle friendly for the most part. We have bicycle lanes on most of the roads in the flats, in fact they even close down Canada rd on Sundays to auto traffic and let the bicyclists have the road to themselves, and it is a beautiful ride. This was not good enough. Hwy 84 is the main rd. going through Woodside, it is just a 2 lane rd. Beyond the tiny main street portion of 84 the road splits, the left fork goes into Portola valley and the right fork goes up the hill through Woodside. This is a very steep, very narrow and very curvy section up to Skyline. There are many blind turns and there is No bicycle lane. A few years back there was one of those signs at the split, but they took it down. Now it is not uncommon to be driving up 84, hit one of those hairpin turns only to find some idiot on their bicycle huffing it up the road. This is the cause of quite a few accidents every year and traffic jams. Most of these riders are in no shape to do this. They seem to think that if they go buy some spandex and a bike they are entitled to do this...Going down the hill every once in a while there will be someone who just fly's down the road, but most of them just ride the brakes on the way down, taking up the whole road...
    So I would like those " Bicycles and motor driven cycles prohibited" signs to go back up...
      October 23, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

They should get rid of those speed restrictions in school zones. Kids would get some badly needed exercise if they had to dart out of the way of fast-moving vehicles.
      October 23, 2018 7:57 PM MDT

Speed limits on freeways. German autobahns don't have them. Speed limits on suburban streets make sense, but not on the open road.
      October 24, 2018 12:59 AM MDT