Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Travel » If you could visit any one National Park in the United States, which would you choose?

If you could visit any one National Park in the United States, which would you choose?

Let's pretend that transportation, time, and money aren't barriers. 

Posted - October 28, 2018

Responses

i already did when i worked in yellowstone one sunnnner
      October 29, 2018 7:58 AM MDT

That's awesome, Pearl! What a wonderful experience!
      October 29, 2018 8:09 AM MDT

• My mountain.  It's a small tract of private property Heaven in the San Juan National Forest (close enough).

October 29, 2018 8:00 AM MDT

Beautiful! Lucky you! 

When you go climbing, do your panties ever get in a bunch? 
      October 29, 2018 8:10 AM MDT

• Boy do they! xD

October 29, 2018 8:16 AM MDT

Ha!
    :)
      October 29, 2018 8:21 AM MDT

I've been there several times but I'd go again.

Johnstown Flood National Memorial (part of National Park Service) in South Fork, Pennsylvania, USA near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USAA view of the remains of the South Fork Dam.

The photo shows where the South Fork Dam was that gave way. The part of the dam that gave way is between the two wooden-fenced viewing areas.

Oh, and it was an earthern dam. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 30, 2018 7:53 AM MDT
      October 29, 2018 8:29 AM MDT

You've mentioned this place. I'd never heard of this event before you brought it to my attention. Incredibly tragic!

I think I've told you that I also have an interest in certain macabre historical events and people. 
      October 29, 2018 8:46 AM MDT

As a young boy I remember my parents having a book that included the Johnstown Flood. It had a very dramatic-to-me illustration. I still see the image in my mind. If I find it, I'll post it. But I've thought about the Flood ever since. It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually started reading about it. 
    Yeah, we both seem to have a bit of a macabre streak.
    :)

Here is an overhead map of the Johnstown Flood of 1889. You can see where the dam and man-made lake were up in the high hills above Johnstown. And the map shows the very long flood path. I think I might have posted somewhere on the site that the water took about 45 minutes to arrive in Johnstown, wiping out communities along the way. The map, to me, shows me the logical-yet-horrific reason the water took that long to reach Johnstown --  it's a huge area.

October 29, 2018 9:13 AM MDT

• Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks

Sequoia National Park is adjacent to Kings Canyon National Park in California's southern Sierra Nevada mountains. It's known for its huge sequoia trees, notably the General Sherman Tree dominating the Giant Forest. The underground Crystal Cave features streams and striking rock formations. Moro Rock is a granite dome offering sweeping park views. Nearby is the Tunnel Tree, a toppled tree cut to accommodate the road.
      October 29, 2018 9:20 AM MDT

Oh, WOW! That's breathtaking! Those trees you can drive through... I didn't even know they existed! I googled the General Sherman tree; it's massive. 

I'm going to have to see those trees in real life. 
      October 29, 2018 8:41 PM MDT

• It's kinda local for me, so I've been there a few times, but it never gets old.  When you go ... allow yourself some time, there's lots to see.  :)
      October 30, 2018 3:10 AM MDT

hawaii volcanic national parks

October 29, 2018 11:39 AM MDT

OOOO, what a good idea.  I hadn't thought of Hawaii.
      October 29, 2018 3:22 PM MDT

I was thinking I'd choose one of Alaska's, but Hawaii's a great idea, too! I'm not sure about the volcanoes, though. Kinda scary!

October 29, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

IDK.  So much has to be taken into consideration.  I'd like to visit Yellowstone but I hear it is very crowded and that is a big minus to me.  Never have been to the Grand Canyon, going down the canyon on a mule and seeing the old Native American living area woud be nice but again the weather needs to be ok.  I probably would have to talk to someone who has seen them all for a good idea of what wold be a fun trip. 
      October 29, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

I know what you mean. If money and time were no object, I think I'd do the Alaska's NP Grand Slam. 

https://www.offthebeatenpath.com/trips/alaskas-national-parks-grand-slam/
      October 29, 2018 8:52 PM MDT

• I would love to see Yellowstone. Yosemite is certainly my favorite National Park, but I've been there many, many times. The one that I've never seen that I'd like to see the most is Yellowstone. I'm fascinated by the idea of it and I'd like to see it in person. 
      October 29, 2018 11:59 PM MDT

Have you seen Horsetail Falls when it's lit with the sun like in the pic I posted? I'm going to be so jealous if you say yes. :)

Yellowstone has so many really exciting animal species that I'd love to see in the wild. Especially this big kitty. 
      October 30, 2018 7:45 PM MDT