Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How does the mob get people to be compliant with their "protection" schemes?

How does the mob get people to be compliant with their "protection" schemes?

I told my kids tonight that I'd make sure their candy stayed safe if they gave me 25%. They just looked at me like I was nuts. :/

Posted - November 1, 2018

Responses

Hi J.A.,

Which mob are we talking about? If you mean "The Mafia" which one?  The Cossa Nostra?  That is pretty much defunct but going strong underground.  You know, the lobbyists who go after construction work in Chicago...that kind of graft.

Or do you mean the Russian Mob?  Just as dangerous.  Or the thugs under the umbrella of Asia?  There are several factions of Chinese, Korean and Japanese versions of the Mafia.  They are the mafia.

Anyway, there are also mindless mobs.  You know, the one's that chant Lock Her Up because they know it gives Trump a Woodie?  

I think that since you probably paid for everything necessary for them to obtain said candy, i.e., money for costumes, time and gas to get them where they can get the candy, etc., 25 percent is a bargain.

I think you would be giving them a great gift if you can explain to them that gratitude is a gift TO them and not required of them.

Happy Halloween

November 1, 2018 12:37 AM MDT

(the one's ones)
      November 1, 2018 12:41 AM MDT

Whatev. 

Sue me.

Nya Nya.

November 1, 2018 12:45 AM MDT

All in good fun, Sharonna. I was just messing with them. They give me candy anyway. I just like getting them riled up. :)
      November 1, 2018 12:50 AM MDT

This is my idea of fun as well.  

Like this is serious?

Trick or Treat

November 1, 2018 12:52 AM MDT

The Cossa La Cosa Nostra.
      November 2, 2018 9:27 AM MDT

"The mob" (any organized criminal rackett) uses threats back by genuine and escalating violence for non-compliance - in other words, intimidation and terror. Pretty sure you knew that, so probably you were hoping for a more humorous answer.

I feel certain that mob tactics that would not fit your parenting style.

The question might be, what little squirrel is raiding the candy supplies? And how does one normally block squirrels from secret midnight raids?

Or another question might be, what kind of healthy snacks could be left out in abundant and constantly replenished supply? Fresh fruit? Nuts? Dried fruits? Pickled vegies? Then no one would crave sweets.

If we're talking Halloween treats, perhaps parents could make some healthy changes to the old traditions.

How about Easy Apricot Balls?
    200 g dried apricots chopped
    3/4 cup condensed milk
    1 cup your favorite kind of nuts
    1 cup coconut
    ~
    Mince/chop apricots in food processor until fine.
    Remove, add nuts and process until chopped finely.
    Mix together in a bowl and add condensed milk.
    Stir until well combined. Roll in coconut.
    Place in fridge until needed.

or

Chocolate or Carob Balls?
    1 cup whole raw oats 
    1/3 cup cocoa or carob powder
    1/2 cup desiccated coconut (plus a little extra for rolling the balls in)
    1 tin (395g) condensed milk
    ~
    Use blender on high to turn oats into fine whole-meal flour and place into a mixing bowl.
    Add cocoa and coconut, stir together then add condensed milk.
    Take small amount of mixture and roll into a ball, then roll through extra coconut.
    Continue with the rest of the mixture, place the chocolate balls on a plate and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.

For less sugar, try using evaporated milk or plain yogurt. This post was edited by inky at November 2, 2018 9:03 PM MDT
      November 1, 2018 1:01 AM MDT

Creative mob tactics might fit my style. I'm not talking broken limbs here. lol Maybe raiding their candy and offering to protect what's left or something along those lines. 

We have other healthier traditions. We did up pumpkin seeds together and the kiddos have been munching on those for days. My family has always made a special chili recipe every Halloween. My daughter made it for the first time this year. That was super cute. She was so proud. 

They did get a good amount of candy though, and they certainly worked for it. My younger one barely made it home. lol I don't usually purchase or make sweets. Particularly now, I've just finished a nutrition course, so we've been focusing on healthy snacks and especially fiber. They've got a good stash of seeds and nuts they go to. My youngest is an apple fiend. We just found out my daughter has oral allergy syndrome... such a crazy thing I didn't know existed. She's allergic to almost all types of pollen and the pollen contaminates raw fruits and veggies, giving her an allergic reaction every time she eats almost any kind of raw produce. Total bummer. But, her go-tos are now apple sauce and Greek yogurt with granola. We keep those things stocked all the time, so I figure a little candy is no big deal. Not when they only get it once in a blue moon. And, as long as they send their dark chocolate to me, it's all good. ;)

Thank you for the recipes. We may give them a go sometime!
      November 1, 2018 1:17 AM MDT

Now why did I not guess all that?
    As soon as I read it I had that, of course!-naturally!-it fits so perfectly with my image of JA kind of feeling.

November 1, 2018 5:07 AM MDT

rackett racket.
      November 2, 2018 9:29 AM MDT

Thanks, Stu B.
    I actually thought it looked odd at the time, but didn't bother to check. Mia culpa.
      November 2, 2018 8:21 PM MDT

(Mia Mea culpa)

November 2, 2018 8:32 PM MDT

Thanks, Stu B.
    I actually thought it looked odd at the time, but didn't bother to check. Mia culpa.
      November 2, 2018 8:21 PM MDT

Woops!
    Did it again! :/
      November 2, 2018 8:54 PM MDT

In my house, we have a standing rule that I get all the banana taffy. 
    I was explaining this to my 5 yr old granddaughter. "Nana gets all the nana taffy." She looked at me after thinking about it told me "No, Nana. Sharing means caring and if you don't share the taffy...you don't get any."  After protesting and attempted bargaining she still came down to I don't get any taffy. 
    Sadly, they did not get any banana taffy for us to continue. She just got strawberry.

Oh, I like the new eye. This post was edited by my2cents at November 2, 2018 9:25 AM MDT
      November 1, 2018 4:18 AM MDT

lol It's good you're getting her started early. Hopefully next year you get a bounty!
      November 1, 2018 4:18 PM MDT

I think they threaten to wreck or blow up the business or cause bodily harm.  Just as labor unions do in Eastern Massachusetts. 
      November 1, 2018 6:09 AM MDT

Wait, you didn't break any thumbs to set an example?  Sheese, what an amateur. Edward G. Robinson must be spinning in his grave. 

~
      November 1, 2018 7:04 AM MDT

Ah! See, that's where I went wrong. I was thinking about broken arms and legs and thought that was just a tad too much. My mind never made it to fingers. 
      November 1, 2018 4:20 PM MDT

not sure but i wonder why kids go trick or treating, sonneone could poison their candy
      November 1, 2018 10:54 AM MDT

Someone "could," but it doesn't actually happen that way, Pearl. There aren't any records of anyone ever poisoning the candy of random children. There are, however, cases in which a friend or family member did it to the child. The moral of the story is: Take candy from strangers; it's safer than taking candy from people you know. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/halloween-non-poisonings/ 
      November 1, 2018 4:22 PM MDT

thats a good point
      November 1, 2018 4:26 PM MDT

• At least they gave you the correct look. :P
      November 1, 2018 5:41 PM MDT

• They obviously don't have much faith in your influence or ability to protect their assets. Admit it...you've already eaten some of their candy haven't you?
      November 2, 2018 8:49 AM MDT