Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » “We have no idea who they are”

“We have no idea who they are”

Thus spoke the US President today of the so-called ‘migrant caravan’. Yesterday, they were “very tough criminal elements“, last week they were “unknown Middle Easterners“ and MS-13. 

On televised reports we see poor people: thin men, women and children, homeless and ragged.

So which is it?

Posted - November 1, 2018

Responses

Indeed. Scant evidence to the contrary. 

I find “claims” is a key word here. Oh, the myriad and delusional Trump claims. If it follows, ”They say“, “I’m told”, or “I hear”, then it is unfailingly BS. He listens to no one, trusts no one, reads nothing. 

Isn’t it clear, fear is THE agenda, and regurgitating hostile mantras is on the menu. Name me a despot who has not trod the same path. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 2, 2018 10:33 PM MDT
      November 1, 2018 8:28 PM MDT

The ubiqutous "they,"  I want names; WHO said?

Yes, fear and the regurgitation thereof are the only things on the menu.  I hardly think that people who have trekked hundreds of miles from Central America to the Mexico/US border are going to have the strength to throw anything more than pebbles, assuming they even do that.  
      November 1, 2018 9:33 PM MDT

Rocks vs Guns. I've seen that somewhere.

November 2, 2018 9:01 AM MDT

• Why are you posting picture from the Middle East?

November 2, 2018 9:54 AM MDT

Just being my usual sarcastic self.
      November 2, 2018 10:22 AM MDT

I have, too, but this is not Israel/Palestine.
      November 2, 2018 2:42 PM MDT

He probably watched an episode of Breaking Bad and assumed it was real. 
      November 1, 2018 7:37 PM MDT

Was it on Fox? 
      November 1, 2018 8:50 PM MDT

Ya they have no idea who they are but yet when Trump talks about them he always paints them as horrible human beings that are hell bent on destroying America. I figure they are people trying to escape a horrible life and they will walk many miles and then work hard to get a better life.. Trump also doesn't seem to know were they are going Trump always say's they are going to cross illegally but they say they are heading to leagle points of entry to seek asylum.  Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at November 2, 2018 10:31 PM MDT
      November 2, 2018 11:18 AM MDT

i dont know who they are either
      November 2, 2018 1:45 PM MDT

Hello Don Barzini
    Of course we dont know who they are, Do you yourself know every single person in the "Caravan", of course not..
    Now I agree these people are just looking for a better life and I understand that, but as a sovereign country we have the right and the responsibility to vet these people. I believe that it is naive to think that none of these people are carrying ailments of some kind that may be contagious, or that none of them have ill intentions or criminal backgrounds.  
    We are quite generous with our immigration polices and laws, but we still must follow those policies and laws. If you want to debate the efficiency, or lack thereof with these policies, you wont get much of an argument from me. I, some 25 years ago went through, as a witness the process of becoming a citizen via my ex-wife, who was from Mexico, it was a nightmare of waiting in lines, it should have been way more streamlined..

November 2, 2018 7:35 PM MDT

We see all of these different portrayals of the “migrants”, and how many are fodder for fear, not human respect.
    So which is the truth?

I think we can agree immigration practices need reform, and we agree we can’t let people roll across the borders. Are we naive to believe effective reform can occur if fear rules the process. 
    Would there be more to gain by addressing the root cause of their plight? 

November 2, 2018 8:49 PM MDT

Hello again Don Barzini
    I agree with everything you said..
    The sad truth is these people are being used for political fodder right now  and the political class does not want to "fix" the problem, for if they did they could no longer use it as an issue.
    Nothing can be accomplished when fear is the driving force and anything less that addressing the root cause is just a band aid on a deep wound

November 2, 2018 9:13 PM MDT

I've seen people who looked clean and healthy.  Mostly young men.  Those on the ground covering say that is what it is for the most part.  The ones who appeared weaker have dropped out.  I read today many are trying to get back to their homes and some took offers from Mexico.  Some have admitted to being paid to be part of it.  I don't know what is going to happen but I don't want people to get hurt.  Of course, anyone who marches toward a country who has made it clear they aren't welcome is missing something.  I remember back in the 70s when I first started going to Europe how nervous it made me to see cops with big guns on their shoulders and checkpoints between countries.  I  can't imagine defiantly marching toward a border.  
      November 2, 2018 10:36 PM MDT

I'm sure they have no money.  That is all they are to Trump.

He has no use for 'em.

The Mid-terms are around the bend so he is going to keep is fat mouth shut until it's over.  Then we will see the real raging moron in full regalia.

November 2, 2018 10:39 PM MDT