Active Now

Thebigd
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How did beverage companies convince us we needed bottled water when most of us have clean tap water?

How did beverage companies convince us we needed bottled water when most of us have clean tap water?

What was the pivotal shift where people agreed to pay for something they were getting free/ cheap?

Posted - November 2, 2018

Responses

• It started with my elbows and went to my wrists (numb hands at night) and eventually to my knuckles.  The knuckles hurt so bad I don't even realize the pain in the elbows and wrists anymore.  I did all the tests for rheumatoid, but they came back negative.  I'm guessing it's just severe osteo.
      November 3, 2018 8:05 AM MDT

Osteo has no cure. Did they do a nerve test?
      November 3, 2018 8:38 AM MDT

• No, just blood tests.  I could never afford a nerve test.  There's nothing in there to come out of my pocket. :P
      November 3, 2018 8:42 AM MDT

Bummer. I am embarrassed that we don't have universal health care. Canadians are thumbing their noses at us.
      November 3, 2018 8:49 AM MDT

• If O'Rourke manages to beat Cruz we'll be one small step closer to universal health care.  A turnover in Texas would be a new dawn for us all, whether good or bad, but both have their good and bad.
      November 3, 2018 8:55 AM MDT

If Trump has his way, Cruz wouldn't be a US citizen, since was born in Canada and his father was Cuban and Canadian and didn't become a US citizen until 2005.
      November 3, 2018 9:04 AM MDT

Wrong....because Cruz's Mother was a citizen. 
    I don't believe anyone has mention taking anyone's citizenship away. Just going back to the original interpretation of the 14th for future.
      November 3, 2018 9:53 AM MDT

I was, as usual, being facetious.
      November 3, 2018 10:03 AM MDT

November 3, 2018 12:16 PM MDT

Uber yikes. I just called my ex and left a message about how much fluorine is in our water.
      November 3, 2018 1:01 PM MDT

• mmmm...fluoride

November 3, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

Ours is also calcified. Not harmful. It's actually a source of calcium for your body. It is calcium carbonate...the same substance that is in calcium supplements. It is also good for lawns and gardens.
      November 3, 2018 6:27 AM MDT

• It's the element, in your body, that causes your heart to beat.  :)
      November 3, 2018 8:59 AM MDT

Not directly, but is necessary for the heart to do so as it is an important for nerve health...and many other things.
      November 3, 2018 9:09 AM MDT

LMAO

Yeah, no. I don't drink straight from the tap. I've always had some kind of filter, but I rarely buy bottled water. I've been considering getting a water softener for years because the tap water kills appliances too. I go through more washing machines than is reasonable. :/ I don't have to do the glass test- everything becomes coated in the film regardless, just by repeated washings.
      November 3, 2018 12:19 PM MDT

1. Filtering does not remove soluble fluorides.
    2. Overall hazing of the glass over time is caused by the compounds in the dishwasher pods. Try vinegar.
    3. Newer appliances are built to last five years. That's how they make so much money...selling five year warranties. My ex has a refrigerator as old as we are.
    I just researched the geological formations of the Phoenix region. There are no limestone formations, which cause the water to be calcified. (Calcium carbonate.) This post was edited by Element 99 at November 3, 2018 1:33 PM MDT
      November 3, 2018 1:08 PM MDT

1) I'm not sure why you're talking about fluoride in this discussion. It's about hard water, not fluoride. I'm aware of how fluoride works. I used bottled water when my kids were super little and while I was pregnant/ nursing.
    2) That would make sense if we used the dishwasher. Calcium buildup still impacts handwashed dishes.
    3) We don't have calcium in our water? Hmmm.... please tell that to my faucet that's only about four years old.

Or the US Geological Survey: https://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html#map (Arizona has some of the hardest water in the nation.) This post was edited by Just Asking at November 3, 2018 3:37 PM MDT
      November 3, 2018 3:01 PM MDT

You posted the fluoride website. I read it. It must be hard if you get the effects when hand washing. My bad on that. I was wrong. I was using a USGS map...I wonder why it didn't show and limestone deposits. I am perplexed. I need to do further research. I soak our shower head periodically in vinegar to remove deposits.
      November 3, 2018 3:43 PM MDT

I posted the fluoride link on a different discussion- it wasn't related to Arizona's water or even water filtration. It just seemed out of place, like you wee suggesting I had said I filter to remove fluoride. I didn't, hence the confusion. 

I'm not sure I see the benefit in soaking things in vinegar. The whole thing gets gunked up fast. That faucet, in particular, doesn't like to turn off now. The deposits deep inside have ruined it. I'll have to replace it soon. The same thing is on all my faucets, my washer, my coffee pot, and so on. The dishwasher also clogged; all the holes the water comes out completely plugged up. It's the hard water that does in all water-using appliances, long before they wear out from being cheaply made. I can't possibly treat all water-using devices and appliances. It's a losing battle anyway.
      November 3, 2018 4:32 PM MDT

For me, it was befriending a water-board chemist while in law school.
      November 3, 2018 12:56 PM MDT