Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Environment » What happens to the mass amounts of toilet paper flushed through toilets?

What happens to the mass amounts of toilet paper flushed through toilets?

Posted - November 12, 2018

Responses

Regular TP breaks down. "Flushable" wipes are ruining sewer systems everywhere.
      November 12, 2018 8:26 PM MST

That's the same here in England....people do not care about the workers that have to go down sewers and dig it out by hand.....Any type of oil or fat should never be tipped down your kitchen sine as it hardens in water and blocks pipes far taller than a man...
    Cotton buds and dental floss also cause huge problems......

People need to clean their own mess up and only then they will stop doing it :( 
      November 13, 2018 2:35 AM MST

Last summer I had the septic tank suction truck come out to empty my septic tank. I know that no toilet paper was in the leech bed. So it musta all stayed in the tank, which is good.
      November 12, 2018 9:51 PM MST

In Greece most every where has septic tanks and people don't put paper down a toilet.....they all put it in bins and it taken to the dump...
    Fibre from Normal toilet paper blocks the porous Rock the septic tanks are dug in .....with out paper going down them it roughly eighty years before they need emptying......using paper that is reduced to every few years depending on the size of the tank and how many use it....
      November 13, 2018 2:41 AM MST

It is taken care of at the sewer plant or it biodegrades beforehand. 
    It biodegrades in the septic tank or is pumped out when that is done.
      November 13, 2018 5:18 AM MST

no idea
      November 13, 2018 9:38 AM MST

Sewer water is "cleaned" and filtered.  The waste becomes a sludge that is disposed of.  The "clean" water is re-introduced to our rivers and drinking water reservoirs. The water is not cleaned for hormones or other medicines.  
      November 13, 2018 6:01 PM MST

It's slowly becoming more common for them to dispose of the sludge by using it as fertilizer.
    Which I can't help but think may be the reason for some hepatitis outbreaks from vegetables, such as the one from lettuce this year.
      November 14, 2018 8:38 AM MST

What a crappy question!
      November 13, 2018 6:42 PM MST

Toilet paper is all processed in sewage plants in the UK, most Countries do this except Africa.
      December 18, 2018 11:41 AM MST