Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Family » Do you think the average parent considers himself/herself to be correct in their child-rearing? ~

Do you think the average parent considers himself/herself to be correct in their child-rearing? ~

Posted - November 23, 2018

Responses

I'm not yet a parent .....but as you well know by now.....I'm always correct....:)D 
      November 23, 2018 9:41 PM MST

Hey, wait . . .

~
      November 23, 2018 9:43 PM MST

Time and the Juggs waits for No Man........Hehe. :) 
    Again that's something you already realize .....hehe 
      November 23, 2018 9:49 PM MST

I was not correct. I have been spending the rest of my daughter's life trying to make it up.

I think back and I am amazed I am forgiven.  Basically, I was an absentee mother most of the time and I justified it because I knew she was safe with her father.  

I had this insane idea when I was in my twenties that kids are fine no matter what.  And I felt that I was unhappy with my parents, so I had no value for the importance of parents.  Instead of trying to be a different kind of parent, I was NO parent.  

Then I got wise.  It took awhile, and I am never going to forget that my daughter had to suffer because of my mistakes.

Thank goodness her dad is a fine man and my parents were NOT even bad parents.  I had a bad attitude.

I gave you some grief yesterday, but I KNOW you are an excellent role model for your kids and a wonderful provider.

Bless you for that.
      November 23, 2018 9:51 PM MST

Until they meet significant problems with the child or teenager acting out, yes, and even then, many will stick doggedly to denial until a crisis occurs.

Some problems are "invisible" and don't show up till the second generation.

Some parents may privately admit their errors to themselves and perhaps their spouses, but would not admit it outside the family.

The basis of my opinion? -- just listen to Moms talking over coffee. Listen to how one reacts when another criticises or offers advice.

Many parents would rather blame their children or their children's friends than accept responsibility or go online to find expert advice.
      November 23, 2018 10:02 PM MST

According to Psychology Today, yes, most people think they were good parents.  I think I was and my three kids have told me so too!  I do know parents though who deeply regret the way the neglected their children.  I am thankful this day after Thanksgiving that I do not have to live with that kind of guilt.  My own parents were failures by many measures.  At least I learned from them how NOT to raise children.
      November 23, 2018 10:12 PM MST

probably
      November 24, 2018 1:57 PM MST