Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Is there a greater game on earth than baseball?

Is there a greater game on earth than baseball?

No other game or sport is followed as closely by as many people, written, argued, and debated about year-round, and statistically tracked and quantified more than the grand old game, which was played professionally as far back as 1869 by the Cincinnati Red Stockings.

You can put basketball, cricket, football, hockey, and soccer all together, and you won't find as much printed or electronic literature about them as you will about baseball. It's not even close.

Posted - December 2, 2018

Responses

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!
      December 3, 2018 9:46 AM MST

The Japanese are baseball fanatics.
      December 3, 2018 7:18 AM MST

More golf - they have indoor driving ranges with nets and computerized simulations due to lack of space. Quite a few watch baseball, but not too many actually play.
      December 3, 2018 7:21 AM MST

Actually, it's PROFESSIONAL baseball. Ever hear of NPB? https://npb.jp/eng/ I have no idea why you persist in making such ignorant comments about baseball. Nobody on here disparages cricket the way you rip baseball. It's OK that you don't like it and know little about it, but it's not necessary to denigrate it.
      December 3, 2018 9:30 AM MST

Your lead question denigrated cricket, football, hockey and soccer. Two of which have a bigger following than baseball.
    They may well play baseball in the Caribbean, but it will always play second fiddle to cricket there - the West Indies dominated the sport for two decades, and the team's current malaise is due to board incompetence rather than any decline in interest in the sport.
    Latin America is dominated by football (the European kind, ie soccer). They riot when their team loses, baseball doesn't inspire that kind of passion there. Brazil and Argentina have never once failed to qualify for the World Cup finals. There is no World Cup in baseball, too few nations play it a high enough standard. "World Series" is a joke, no team from outside the US or Canada is even permitted to compete.
    I'll lay off your sport if you lay off mine. Deal?
      December 3, 2018 7:11 PM MST

GRRRRRRRRR!

December 3, 2018 9:41 AM MST

Life. That is the game we all play with our lives.

December 3, 2018 5:51 AM MST

My brain went to places along these lines as far as an answer, too. Well, my brain went to movies.
    :)
      December 3, 2018 8:33 AM MST

Does the fact that so many people watch it and study it and write about it make it "great"? I don't know.  Maybe they all have just nothing better or more vital to do with themselves.  All those people watching all those games on TV day after day most of the year - is that what life is?  I hope not and I guess it seems to me they could find better and more useful things to be doing. Football. soccer, basketball, and other sports are good too not that I am that interested in them but I think they are good practice and healthwise for men (and women too) to play to make us better people which I don't that we become if remain just spectators.  But that is what a lot of people seem to like to do so why shouldn't they be able to?  Whether there is really anything g "great" about them or not. 
      December 3, 2018 7:19 AM MST

Nothing better or more vital to do with themselves? Who are you to judge that? How is baseball less valid as a form of entertainment than going to the movies or the theater or watching cooking shows, reality shows, soap operas, or Jerry Springer? And as far as participating, lots of folks play baseball and softball. How is that inferior to playing football, soccer, or basketball?

Part of what makes baseball great is that it permeates our culture and language to the extent that even those who have no interest in the game frequently allude to it, inadvertently or unconsciously. As I said in an earlier comment, have you ever said or heard things like "bench strength," "heading for home," "playing centerfield," "touch base," "out of leftfield," "knock it out of the park," "cover all the bases," "batting a thousand," and "fielding questions," to name a very few? These are all baseball metaphors used in business, other sports, and life.

This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at December 3, 2018 10:02 AM MST
      December 3, 2018 9:39 AM MST

I don't closely follow much of any sports, so I couldn't really answer as far as the sport of baseball. 

I know I'm off the subject of sports now but few movies I've seen have been more masterful and powerful than Michael Haneke's 1997 "Funny Games."
    A masterpiece to me.
    :)

Image result for 1997 haneke funny games This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 3, 2018 9:33 AM MST
      December 3, 2018 8:38 AM MST

nnaybe, ive never been nnuch into gannes
      December 3, 2018 10:23 AM MST

I don't hate it but am not a huge fan.  We go to the Tampa Rays games in the off season because they have their training facility here as well as a very nice big field.  It's fun and much easier than going to in-season games.  I just will not do huge crowds anymore.  But we see  MLB teams play in off season.   And it's cheap!  I mean, Thrifty...................
      December 3, 2018 11:50 AM MST