Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » In the times Jesus was on Earth, was it possible for camels to go through the eye of a needle?

In the times Jesus was on Earth, was it possible for camels to go through the eye of a needle?

Posted - December 17, 2018

Responses

Maybe in a parable.
      December 17, 2018 3:57 PM MST

nnaybe
      December 17, 2018 4:37 PM MST

LOL!

Metaphorical rather than parable.

I believe historians have identified the "Eye of a Needle" as the local name, or nickname, of a very narrow gate (in Jerusalem?) too difficult even for a slim camel to negotiate.

If so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the author of the Bible story simply quoted Jesus using a local saying to make his point.
      December 17, 2018 4:47 PM MST

• I, too, believe Jesus was referring to the gate, not a sewing needle.
      December 17, 2018 5:29 PM MST

Correct.
    The Eye of the Needle, Is a very narrow passage way between buildings and was used as one of the entries to Jerusalem in ancient times.
    It still exists and is now a popular spot for Biblical tourists to visit.
    In Jesus's time, the rich man was often a merchant who had many beasts of burden to carry his wares. Since his laden camels and donkeys could not pass through the Eye of the Needle, only poor people on foot could.
      December 17, 2018 5:33 PM MST

Babble much? 
      December 17, 2018 6:31 PM MST

• I didn't expect your "superior wit" to read between the lines of said babble.
      December 18, 2018 9:46 AM MST

I have been to kindergarten. I have a long memory. This is about on the level of something that would come out of the mouth of a five-year-old.

Okay?

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven.

What that has to do with Jesus being alive or dead, eludes me.  It is impossible for a rich man to enter heaven because he is concerned with the physical and not on what matters.

DUH?
      December 18, 2018 9:52 AM MST

" It is impossible for a rich man to enter heaven ... "

An assumption that many people make, but nothing that Jesus actually said.
    Jesus merely implied it was very difficult, but did not say it was impossible.
    If rich people thought it was impossible, not one of them would bother being Christian or giving to churches or charities.
      December 18, 2018 10:21 AM MST

• You don't even know what the eye of a needle is, do you?  Here, do some reading.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 18, 2018 12:13 PM MST
      December 18, 2018 12:11 PM MST

Hebrew gamla meant a camel, a rope, a beam, or any large object according to context.
      December 17, 2018 9:30 PM MST

• Of course. If the needle had a sufficiently large eye, say three metres wide. 
      December 17, 2018 9:37 PM MST

If it were, that needle would be rather stinky.
      December 18, 2018 10:02 AM MST