Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » What age do you think you will live up to? When you reach that age do you think you will be ready for death, whenever it happens?

What age do you think you will live up to? When you reach that age do you think you will be ready for death, whenever it happens?

Posted - December 22, 2018

Responses

have no idea and dont want to know
      December 22, 2018 2:22 PM MST

Both of my parents lived to be 93.  I'm more concerned with what the quality of my life will be before I die than my age at the time of my death.
      December 22, 2018 3:45 PM MST

Not sure about the age but I am ready for eternal life.  
      December 22, 2018 3:47 PM MST

Death in my family has most often been from cancer which can strike at any age. I'm not sure what 'ready' means. I have lived a full life but I still have much to look forward to. I think it would be very sad to to be just waiting to die.
      December 22, 2018 4:46 PM MST

Men in my family tend to die in their 80s from circulation problems. I already show the symptoms, but I am not 80 yet. My brother died twelve days ago, and that brings up a big problem: I might get stuck with the property, and I don't want to be a property owner in California. I can't afford the maintenance, I can't afford the taxes, And I refuse to pay the exorbitant water bill of $200/month. (I can rent a trailer house in Arizona for that much, water and trash included.)

There is almost no property value in this town. It is so low that winter visitors will buy a lot just to have a place to park their rv. Parks won't let older rvs in, and it's cheaper to buy a house than a new rv. The only good reason to live here is to qualify for California welfare. I could rent one of the two houses, but that has always been an unreliable income. 

This town has always been one of the loneliest towns in the country. If you go outside, you are the only person in town who is outside.
      December 22, 2018 5:16 PM MST

If it's any gauge, in many, many ways I take after my maternal grandfather, who was in his mid-eighties when he passed away a few years ago. I'm in very good health, I exercise regularly, I am not sedentary at all, in fact, I'm overactive/hyperactive, I am a nonsmoker, and I seldom drink, maybe three or four glasses in an entire year. I have no known allergies, and I currently do not suffer from any disease nor illness nor debilitating medical condition. I do not lead a dangerous or risky lifestyle.
      As such, I may make it into my eighties, nineties, or even the big three digits.
      Ready for death. Hmmmm. I have heard of certain people in various situations, most of them elderly, wanting to die, wishing for death, and we've all probably heard of those who actually carried it out. Medical problems, loss of mobility, severe pain, chronic illness, financial problems, abject loneliness, hopelessness, homelessness, intense boredom, inability to take care of one's self, being a burden on others, loss of a mate, etc., can all be attributed to those thoughts.  I don't know where I'll be in life's stages when my time comes, so I can't gauge  my readiness or lack thereof ahead of time. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at December 22, 2018 5:40 PM MST
      December 22, 2018 5:33 PM MST

And you, Neelie?
    ~
      December 22, 2018 5:37 PM MST

• My grandparents died in their 50s and 60s. My parents are 69 and 74. As for me? Am 47 now. Hoping for another 25 years at least. Want to make a world trip sometime before then. Set my foot on every continent. Hopefully with a companion, not alone. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 23, 2018 6:02 AM MST
      December 23, 2018 2:29 AM MST

Same as Randy.

At 62 now, if seated cross-legged on the ground I can easily stand without the aid of my hands. This test is considered an indicator that I could easily live with good health till ninety or beyond.

I'm ready for death whenever it happens. I have no fear of it.
    My will and advanced health directive are written, signed and witnessed, and my husband and closest friends know where to find it in the event of an emergency.
    I try to make amends immediately after any mistake, so as to leave as few loose ends as possible.
    I make sure the people I love know how I feel about them. This post was edited by inky at December 23, 2018 2:23 AM MST
      December 22, 2018 5:39 PM MST