Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » in your opinion, what's the hardest thing to move on from?

in your opinion, what's the hardest thing to move on from?

Posted - January 31, 2019

Responses

Hello Prosper and Live
    For me, so far, it has been my children 'leaving the nest". I was/am a single dad and when the last one moved out I had a hard time trying to figure out what to do..
    Its been a few years since my youngest left for school and I can still get sentimental about it..But I also absolutely treasure the memories of our time under the same roof..
      January 31, 2019 6:28 PM MST

I got to say ,one of those Japanese 300mph fast moving trains with brakes that stoped working...:(  
      January 31, 2019 6:42 PM MST

So this guy sees a drunk walking down the street, one foot in the gutter, one foot on the curb. Up down. Up down. Up down. Bawling his head off.

So he stops the drunk and says "WTF? Why are you walking half in the gutter like that?

The drunk stops bawling and looks at his feet. "Oh, thank god! I thought I had a broken leg!"
      January 31, 2019 7:23 PM MST

A Vietnam vet is limping along the street, dragging a lame leg. He encounters someone walking in the opposite direction on the other side of the street, also dragging one leg.
    The veteran slaps his wounded leg, and calls out, "Long Tan, 1969!"
    The other person slaps their leg and shouts back, "Dog sh**, 20 seconds ago!"
      January 31, 2019 8:25 PM MST

A missing child.
      January 31, 2019 7:30 PM MST

• Losing my Grandmother, Father, and my best friend (not all at once, thankfully).  While technically I have moved on and have learned to live with the grief of losing them, it's still hard to believe.  Losing my best friend has been really tough, because we had known each other since Kindergarten, she died so young - about month shy of turning 50, and she was more than a friend, she was my sister.  
      January 31, 2019 7:35 PM MST

The death of a loved one. My mother passed four years ago, the wound in my heart is still raw and bleeding. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 1, 2019 8:33 PM MST
      January 31, 2019 7:53 PM MST

The loss of a dream you believed in.

It's easy to say "the loss of a loved one," but that's not always true. We mourn less when it was that person's time. Perhaps they were sick, in pain, or just of advanced age. We cope with it better because we've had time to absorb and accept the fact that they won't be with us. 

The same is true of relationships. I think it's harder to move on from the concept that your hope and plans for the future aren't going to happen than anything else. If you lose hope before the relationship ends, it's not so bad as it is when it ends and you still believe in it.

By the same token, career or school plans can get ripped away from you. It hurts just like a death. It's the loss of the dream again. 

People who struggle with infertility or have custody issues... same thing. It hurts because they already had the dream. They envisioned a life with their child. When the hope evaporates, it's painful. 

Letting go of anything you believe in, had hopes for, or dreamed of, is hard. 
      February 1, 2019 2:56 AM MST

Mum was 69, my sister-in-law 46. Both claimed by cancer, far too young.
      February 1, 2019 5:22 AM MST

I'm sorry for your losses. 
      February 1, 2019 11:51 AM MST

Anything you are accustomed to, that has become a part of your life.  Not just loved ones but products you have bought and used for years and the manufacturer goes out of business or the retailer stops carrying them.  Someone cuts down a tree or wooded area or even a house and puts up another that is a big change. 
      February 1, 2019 8:48 AM MST