Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » They're ALL egregious, but what do you consider the worst stereotype in cop movies/TV shows?

They're ALL egregious, but what do you consider the worst stereotype in cop movies/TV shows?

~

Posted - February 15, 2019

Responses

If he’s a likeable type of hero-cop or hero detective then he is honest, has a great depth of understanding of human nature, is observant, questioning, skeptical and logical, and has compassion for victims and innocents.

He has foibles: a way of playing poker with suspects, of tilting his head, of hesitating before delivering a punch line. He’s often not very nice to his offsides or trainees. He may have a sarcastic sense of humour.

He has weaknesses: his marriage is on the rocks, his wife is dead or he was always too dedicated to his job to find a mate, he has a wayward teenage daughter, a Dad in a nursing home, or a brother in a psyche ward. He drinks too much. He’s fat and unfit or pasty, round-shouldered and nerdy-thin, when he knows he should be buff and able to run a marathon.

He’s tough: no insult or taunt disturbs his self-assurance, no injury stops him from coming back to work before fully recovered, no PTSD haunts him.

February 16, 2019 2:10 AM MST

Wow, and he's a "he", too!
      February 16, 2019 6:13 AM MST

I'll give just one. If he was a Marine, he can get away with slapping folks around in the interrogation room.
      February 16, 2019 6:48 AM MST

Don't movies and TV shows depict that a lot, regardless of whether or not the cop is Marine? "NYPD Blue" and the "Lethal Weapon" movies immediately come to mind.
    ~
      February 16, 2019 6:54 AM MST

I was thinking one-dimensionally...TV. I was thinking Gibbs from NCIS and Stabler from SVU.
      February 16, 2019 6:58 AM MST

Gibbs doesn't hit anyone on the interrogation room.
      February 16, 2019 7:45 AM MST

e·gre·gious
    [əˈɡrējəs]

ADJECTIVE
    outstandingly bad; shocking.
    "egregious abuses of copyright"
    synonyms:
    shocking · horrific · horrifying · horrible · terrible · awful · dreadful · [more]

archaic
    remarkably good.
      February 16, 2019 3:29 PM MST