Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Everyone loves soup. What is your favorite and what soup makes you gag?

Everyone loves soup. What is your favorite and what soup makes you gag?

Posted - February 21, 2019

Responses

No single favourite.

Favourites: barley and root vegetables, sorrel or leek and potato, mushroom, tomato, pumpkin, borscht, gaspacho.

Two weeks ago for the first time, I tasted a soup that was so awful I couldn't take a second sip. 
    It was a strange mix of turmeric, coriander root, leaf & seed, and coconut cream - tasted like sour-bitter soap.
    Since I was a guest it was embarrassing; I didn't want to offend the cook-hostess. 
    I pretended to be feeling ill to excuse myself from the table and tipped the stuff down the sink when no one was looking.
      February 22, 2019 12:50 AM MST

Oh man.   That sounds vile. Too much turmeric in anything can be awful and that combo of other ingredients sounds really bad.  Thanks, NDP.
      February 22, 2019 1:18 AM MST

Some people can't take coriander. It's genetic.
      February 22, 2019 11:58 AM MST

True. :)
    Under normal circumstances I like coriander, though as a light flavouring or garnish.
    I think in this case it was somewhat overdone,
    but the main culprit was the turmeric.
    Also the coconut was in some way cloying.
    I think the soup would have been better with a rich vegetable broth as the base, and maybe a teaspoon of miso and some pepper, ginger, and/or garlic.

Odd thing was, I hadn't eaten for twenty hours and should have been hungry enough to enjoy almost anything edible.
      February 22, 2019 11:10 PM MST

• PHO is my fav 

for white people soup it's minestrone and i also like chicken and rice 
      February 22, 2019 5:18 AM MST

• LOL, "white people soup"....I was snapping my fingers and dancing when I answered minestrone as one of my favorites. 
      February 22, 2019 5:48 AM MST

Pho is yummy.  Especially in this cold, damp weather.  I don't eat meat, but if I did, chicken would be my go-to soup.
      February 22, 2019 9:22 AM MST

• i love pho. my husband is vietnamese so i get an endless supply of pho 
      February 22, 2019 9:34 AM MST

I bet he's adorable.  

I love Asian men.  LOL 

February 22, 2019 11:26 AM MST

Tomato soup, especially with a tuna sandwich.
      Least fave: soap soup.

~
      February 22, 2019 5:28 AM MST

Whomever invented this stuff was not understanding what it means to cleanse the system.
      February 22, 2019 9:23 AM MST

Try Campell's tomato bisque. Quite yummy.
      February 22, 2019 11:12 AM MST

I don't hate Campbell's soup but I would not eat that stuff when I can eat something that is healthy and not from a can.
      February 22, 2019 11:16 AM MST

We eat miso soup almost daily. With seaweed, carrots, leek, celery root, and mushrooms, Often I put some dill in at the end of cooking or scatter a few lentils in at the beginning.  Which I make a big pot of once a week.  I make vegetarian bean soups as well- split pea, red lentil, navy bean, very occasionally black bean.   Sometimes I make broth bowls as a one-dish meal which are like a soup base with brown rice, whole wheat noodles, and a lot of vegetables and at times even fish in them. 
      February 22, 2019 5:29 AM MST

I love miso.  Yummy.  I like your recipe too.  I'm gonna try that.

As a matter of fact, all your soups sound prize-worthy.  YUMMMMMM
      February 22, 2019 9:24 AM MST

• Favorites are tomato and minestrone.  Least favorite is that disgusting navy bean stuff that I've actually seen people dump a bunch of ketchup into.  Bleh. 
      February 22, 2019 5:46 AM MST

Bean soup can be awful or wonderful.  And it helps that you like beans.  If you do not, it is never gonna do the trick.

The ketchup idea sounds vile. GOD.  Maybe some nice grated cheese or something.  
      February 22, 2019 9:26 AM MST

Since I was a little kid, Campbell's Chicken Noodle. My entire right arm was grown from that stuff. Back in the 80s, they improved the quality by replacing the ugly dark meat and putting in better looking breast meat. However, soup sales must be dropping since the local Krogers supermarket has diminished the area devoted to soup. (it must be all the salt in the soup that hurts sales)
      February 22, 2019 6:51 AM MST

Campbell's makes a low salt line of soups, but they taste like dishwater.  I've been buying a very tasty butternut squash soup at Target.  There is also a cashew, carrot, ginger and squash soup from the same brand (Pacific Foods) that has a little zing to it.  They are a bit higher in sodium than I would like, but worth it.
      February 22, 2019 9:16 AM MST

Imagine and Pacific both have good reputations and some of those soups really help me in a pinch because I am too busy to cook most days.  Also, as you probably do too, I put some fresh or cooked vegetables in the soups.  Like if it is a tomato soup, I'll add a fresh tomato or mushroom soup, I'll grind up or cook more mushrooms into it.

They are very much better to me than Campbells' anything.  Campbell's also comes canned and there is a lot of controversy out there regarding canned foods.
      February 22, 2019 9:20 AM MST

They didn't improve anything.  The stuff is salt and just overcooked grossness.  And it is in a freaking can.

Maybe you should try a homemade version and learn what food tastes like for real. 

(don't make it yourself, get someone who knows nutrition)
      February 22, 2019 9:27 AM MST

So I'm not the only one to notice that. $1.67 for a can of soup. That is robbery.
      February 22, 2019 11:11 AM MST

Yeah it's robbery.   Because it is not food.  It is garbage.

Paying anything for it is robbery.

Pay a little extra and get your money's worth.

Make it yourself

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 11, 2019 8:51 PM MDT
      February 22, 2019 11:13 AM MST

• My favorite is cream of chicken with wild rice and broccoli!  I make it myself with almond milk and homemade chicken broth.  YUM!

Least favorite would be any cold soups like gazpacho or beet!  YECH.
      February 22, 2019 9:26 AM MST