Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you could afford to dine out in fine restaurants all the time would you? How often do you prepare the meals at home and do you ENJOY it?

If you could afford to dine out in fine restaurants all the time would you? How often do you prepare the meals at home and do you ENJOY it?

Long ago the mother of my son's best friend said she thought cooking meals was "slave labor" and she avoided doing so. She was married to a successful accountant so they ate out a lot. But I never forgot that. She KNEW I loved to cook so I also took it personally. I must have taken it super personally because that was about 35 years ago and here I am talking about it.

Posted - May 8, 2019

Responses

We could afford eat out every day Rosie .....The best meals we go to eat at is at my parents or either of my grandparents homes though.  ..:)

I enjoy cooking and love simple meals ,eating out and trying different food is ok to ,but never every day...l
      May 8, 2019 2:52 AM MDT

Us too sweetie. There's something about eating at home that is so loving and comforting and secure. You don't have to deal with loud people or lotsa noise. You KNOW what you are eating since you KNOW what ingredients you used. Good memories around the dinner table at home. Thank you for your reply D and Happy Wednesday to thee!  :)
      May 8, 2019 3:24 AM MDT

There is no restaurant, no matter how fine, that understands lasagna the way my better half does, and our daughter's desserts are to die for. 
    All three of us enjoy cooking - however, if there was a "fine dishwashing place" where we could send the dishes afterwards ...
      May 8, 2019 3:41 AM MDT

I hear ya R! Well I don't mind the cleanup although honestly Jim is the best helper in the world. He will load the dishwasher for me. I NEVER have to ask. He sees what needs to be done and does it. Lucky me! Thank you for your fine reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :) Of course we know you are very lucky too!
      May 8, 2019 7:13 AM MDT

I guess we can afford that and we do dine out once a month or every couple of months.   Buy the reason I prepare our meals all the time is not just a matter of convenience but of health.  I try to make things which are healthy for us which cannot be had in restaurants which cater to either specialized tastes or a lowest common denominator.  A simple breakfast daily, dinner, and packing a lunch for my husband.  So often I will cook ahead when I have the chance so we will have enough available I can just pull it out and warm it up. But most every evening I will add a dish to the stash to vary and renew it.  Cooking is not my favorite thing to do but I have done it most of my life and see no reason to stop now. And I sort of like the power it gives me. This post was edited by officegirl at May 8, 2019 7:13 AM MDT
      May 8, 2019 4:58 AM MDT

I am impressed og because you're saying "Cooking is not my favorite thing to do..." but you do it anyway and for all the the right reasons. You control the ingredients and thereby help to insure that what your family eats  is nutritious. I wish more folks would see it that way and just do it. I love to cook so I have always enjoyed every aspect including from the shopping to the cleanup. When I'm in my kitchen preparing things I am in a lovely cocoon protected from everything except the job at hand. My escape. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You probably are extending your lives and also their quality. Good job! This post was edited by RosieG at May 8, 2019 7:37 AM MDT
      May 8, 2019 7:16 AM MDT

Thank you dear.  I hope so. I understand what you mean by your "cocoon" which for me is - maybe my kitchen is the one place in my life I have complete control!   But you know cooking becomes a habit and when I was young and did not feel I was worth much - working in the kitchen was part of my salvation because people accepted me because I was willing to do that.  And I can make healthy things we both can enjoy.  Which is just my husband and myself except holidays or when we have extended family or when we have guests which is seldom. 
      May 8, 2019 7:42 AM MDT

Went out weekly when wife was well. On my own, once a month is a treat. More than that, it would stop being special. 

Other than that, I had long enough as a bachelor to know how to keep up a good menu plan. As a widower, it's not so different from what my wife fed me. 

This post was edited by Malizz at May 8, 2019 5:40 AM MDT
      May 8, 2019 5:38 AM MDT

• probably not. my money is better spent somewhere else. i don't cook at home either tho because i live by myself and it seems kind of senseless to only cook for one. luckily I work in a restaurant so i just eat stuff there. i really do like to cook tho. 
      May 8, 2019 7:17 AM MDT