Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » OTHER THAN a stay-at-home parent, do you know of anyone 30 years old or older who has never worked a day in his/her life? ~

OTHER THAN a stay-at-home parent, do you know of anyone 30 years old or older who has never worked a day in his/her life? ~

Posted - May 30, 2019

Responses

Yes. I have a cousin in his 40's who has never had a job except for  playing in a band on and off when he was younger. He has also never had a driver's license. You didn't mention exceptions for mental or physical disabilities, but in his case, that does not apply. 
      May 30, 2019 7:40 AM MDT

How does your cousin feed himself or pay rent?
      May 31, 2019 9:54 PM MDT

I can't think of one person I know who has never worked a day in their life over 30.  But Confucius says:  "Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life."
      May 30, 2019 10:05 AM MDT

Ahhhh~ Very good and very clever Natz! :) :)
      May 30, 2019 11:29 AM MDT

I did. Wait. Please let me reword that.  I've never understood why people say knew someone when, in all actuality, they still DO know them. 
    I know a guy who succeeded in never having a job or working a day in his life. He also didn't have any friends to speak of. His neighbors were cautious around him and kept their doors locked. Even his family didn't like or trust him.  He used them for any and everything he could. He was constantly in trouble with the law. He was a total jerk through and through. 

A little while after his 32nd birthday, his sister, who lived above him in an apartment, went downstairs.  There was a horrid, stenchy smell wafting up to her house from his.  It was making her sick.
    The front door was open, she walked in and found him dead, fully dressed, on his bed. There was a gun in his hand.  The smell was his decaying body.
    She and her mother called the police. It is listed as a suicide.
    It very well may have been but with all the people that knew him, none of them would have blamed each other had they just point-blank shot him.

I still know the guy.  He just isn't around anymore to know anyone else.    
      May 30, 2019 12:00 PM MDT

its kinda a blessing that i found a job since past january; cuz it made years i had not worked and im 25. i was still living with my mom, with welfare money. but now i have a job;
      May 30, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

no
      May 30, 2019 4:56 PM MDT

Well, I know a guy who never worked until he was in his fifties.   He stopped to look at a house under construction and talked to the contractor.  He thought it seemed like it would be fun and he has been building houses ever since.  He studied one book and passed the test for a home-builder license.  In that state that license can be acquired easier that a GC license.   This person is independently wealthy and has a high IQ.  But he is a goofball.   
      May 30, 2019 7:18 PM MDT

So he has worked at least a day in his life . . .

___
      May 30, 2019 10:55 PM MDT

Never imagine that a stay-at-home parent doesn't work.
    If you added up the salary that would be paid to get someone else to do the same work, you'd soon realise they do sixty to eighty hours a week.

May 31, 2019 9:34 AM MDT

Thanks, BookWorm. I neither imagine, imagined, nor stated that I think stay-at-home parents do not work. I merely worded my post as I did to differentiate between them and others who might fall into the category. 
    :)
      May 31, 2019 10:00 PM MDT

We ha a guy come a few weeks ago. Wanting to do something for a little money. I know he was figuring he could mow the grass...it was needing it.
    After talking to him. He said he was living in a tent and liked but was thinking he would like to get into something better.  My husband offered him a job. He seemed really excited. He showed up and I gave him the payroll W4 to fill out and he seemed confused. Ihad to help him. He had never filled out one of these in his life.  (He is in his 40s)  So this 40+ yr old man never had a real job in his life up till recently.  

He quit today. We had arranged for him to have a camper with electric and water, air conditioning to stay in for just mowing a few acres once a week on a rider mower.  So he worked 5 days and mowed once. 

I think he was trying to figure out how he ended up with a job.  Can't have that.....
      June 1, 2019 12:53 PM MDT

Thats a nice story 
      June 2, 2019 1:56 PM MDT