Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Now that Trump is starting his campaign for the next election, how do you read the mood of the nation?

Now that Trump is starting his campaign for the next election, how do you read the mood of the nation?

Are enough of the electorate sick of Trump yet?
Are the Republicans satisfied with the direction in which Trump is leading the nation?
If a significant number were dissatisfied, what options would be open to them to put forward and alternative?

Will the Democrats put forward really good candidates?
Will the Dems put the right tactics and effort into their campaign?
And will more Democrats not take the outcome for granted and come out to vote?

Posted - June 19, 2019

Responses

The mood of the nation? The mood of the nation?  The mood of the nation?  The mood of the nation? The mood of the nation?  The mood of the nation?  

I don’t believe that there’s any one particular mood that applies across the entire nation. There are far too many variables, far too many factors involved to answer accurately.

~

June 19, 2019 9:29 PM MDT

I'm sure you're right. I'll concede I could have phrased the question better.
    What are the polls in the USA currently saying about people's voting intentions?
    Are the polls still regarded as reliable?
    When political analysts discuss the current administration, what are the views pro and against?
    How much do people listen to these analyses?
    Does anyone deliberately listen to both sides of the arguments?
      June 19, 2019 10:29 PM MDT

Thank you for the nod. 

Polls can also be a bit tricky. While it’s true that the re-election bid is officially brand new, or even if the supposition is that unofficially it’s been going on for quite some time, poll results at this juncture aren’t valid gauges of the pulse of the country. 

~

June 19, 2019 10:41 PM MDT

What do you mean started his re-election campaign?  He's been campaigning since he was sworn in - he never stopped.
      June 19, 2019 9:35 PM MDT

Good point.
      June 19, 2019 9:48 PM MDT

Isn’t that the exact same thing that dozens of political office-holders have been doing for at least the past 50 years? Trump has not invented a new wheel here. 
    ~
      June 19, 2019 9:52 PM MDT

I agree.
    However, I do think there are variations in strategies.
    The unpleasant policies are usually enacted as soon after being elected as possible, to give the electorate time to adapt and the fury time to die down.
    Tax cuts, public works, and fulfilment of local wishes tend to come in the twelve months before an election.

And there's no doubt that publicity stunts and paid campaign planning increase intensity as an election approaches. The noise gets so loud that many people start switching off. This post was edited by inky at June 19, 2019 10:50 PM MDT
      June 19, 2019 10:34 PM MDT

I’m one of the people who switches it off; I have hardly listened to a word Trump has said for over a year and a half.
    ~
      June 19, 2019 10:50 PM MDT

I absolutely cannot stand to watch him on TV.  I know that if his mouth is open, he lying.
      June 20, 2019 8:07 AM MDT

You would be correct up to a point, but there is a rare few months after being sworn in where they actually stay in their offices for a few minutes and try to earn their salaries before going back out again to campaign.  Trump leaves his office to golf.
      June 20, 2019 8:05 AM MDT

• I can't read it.

But I think I smell it somewhere on the bus .
      June 19, 2019 9:53 PM MDT

The Repubs are Trump Loyalists
    It's the party of Trump 
    Corrupt and loving it.
    End of the line.
    your other questions?
    keep your eyes open
    watch and learn...
      June 20, 2019 12:17 AM MDT

Since God made Trump president according to the beliefs of 40 million religious right evangelicals they are leaving it in God's hands to be sure he is re-elected. The rest of the country is thinking 'this guy has gotta go'.
      June 20, 2019 2:22 AM MDT

Makes me wonder how so many "righteous evangelicals" can make so many excuses for his unrighteous unevangelical behavior.
      June 20, 2019 8:08 AM MDT

Same way they disregard the wrongdoings of the televangelists they send money to.

"Hate the sin but love the sinner" This post was edited by Kittigate at June 20, 2019 2:38 PM MDT
      June 20, 2019 8:51 AM MDT

Too true.
      June 20, 2019 2:38 PM MDT