Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
bookerdana
Discussion » Questions » Family » What's wrong with me ?

What's wrong with me ?

My brother has been married to his wife for the past 3 years but I'm kinda of bothered by it. Not that he's married but his wife is transgender it kinda confusing to me. I don't know whether to call her him or her or whatever since she used to be a man. I guess he/she has been suffering from they're gender identity since they were 12-13. He/she is now 22 when she was an adult and was old enough she came out as transgender. What's wrong with me ? Why am I so bothered by it ?

Posted - July 26, 2019

Responses

You encounter a new/unique situation that is foreign to your basic sensibilities, so you are naturally confused. There is nothing wrong with that. Confusion is simply a sign that you lack the information to build a reasoned opinion. 
    If your brother’s spouse has fully taken on the identity of a female, and mutual respect is important in this relationship, then it would be the polite thing to honor that identity, regardless of any bias you may have toward the choices they’ve made. Ultimately, they have to live with them, you don’t.

It is important to know that no one can dictate to you how you truly feel about something, this is the most inalienable freedom we as sentient beings have. Nor should you or I endeavor to impose judgement on how others should conduct their lives. This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 26, 2019 3:44 PM MDT
      July 26, 2019 4:13 AM MDT

Etiquette and respect expect that you refer to your brother's wife as she and treat her as a woman - always.

Most transgender people love to talk about their situation - with no inhibitions about the intimate details.
    Most are far more open than the rest of the population. They have to be because the law requires that they must undergo several years of psychotherapy and participate in transgender self-help groups before they can begin the physical process.
    They're accustomed to people's misunderstandings - usually regard it as important to educate others who are curious.

We live in a world in which the dominant cultures favour conventional male and female identities - but there is plenty of evidence that various differences in sexual physiology and identity have always existed. Medicine recognises 36 non-standard types. In some cultures with very small genetic pools, the variations are much more frequent and are culturally integrated as norms.

There is such a thing as brain gender, and it can be different from the gender of the body. A person born with such a condition feels it from a very early age. Now that it has become medically possible to change the outer body to conform with the mind's inner identity, people who make the change usually feel complete and satisfied. Gradually the relatives and close friends adapt. New acquaintance never knew the tranny is any other form and take it for granted. The transgender person is finally free to be truly themselves in a world that sees them as such. We are a social species - and so how others see us has an immense effect. 

Once one starts looking into LGBTQI people and issues, one discovers how complex, varied and interesting they are.
    They have an enormous amount they can teach us about what it means to be male or female.
    For instance, as a young man Michael Caldicott overflowed with talent and confidence. His hutzpah was so great that he painted a series of twenty vast abstract expressionist paintings. He approached Macquarie University and said, if you buy this set of paintings at $5,000 each now, in 20 years they'll be worth 20 times more - and they'll lift your prestige. They bought the paintings - and the prediction turned out true. Businesses, architects, galleries, museums and art patrons all bought his work. But in the meantime, Michael became Michelle. To this day, she still paints, but she has lost her initiative and no longer has the courage to apply for grants, residencies, competitions or commissions. She's happy she made the change - but was surprised when she first realised how much it reduced her muscle strength, confidence and libido. I've known several other male to female trannies who confirmed that this loss is normal, but for them, worth it to be so much happier.
    It shows us "normals" something about the differences between what's innate and what's culturally conditioned in being male or female.

Gender identity does not determine gender orientation, meaning which gender is most attractive does not change with transition.
    The person who was once a heterosexual man continues to prefer and love women after becoming a woman.
    The person who was once a homosexual man continues to prefer and love men after becoming a woman.
    And vice-versa for female to male transitions.
    The bi's have it easiest - they can love either gender.

This post was edited by inky at July 26, 2019 3:44 PM MDT
      July 26, 2019 3:11 PM MDT

Thanks for the pick, Blackmagic. Hope my answer was helpful for you.
      July 27, 2019 3:15 AM MDT

Nothing is wrong with you.

Most likely there are no examples in your personal background from which you could draw any precedents for how to approach this situation which incorporates apparently conflicting principles that most of use in evaluating the typical romantic man-woman relationship.

Heck, I'm an only child; and when I first experienced women who had sisters who looked very much like them, it still blew my mind at first---especially when it was a woman that I was fairly close to.

You just haven't previously observed or been taught how to respond to a situation like this.

Your brother has married a transgender woman.  Just drop "transgender" and see her as the person both she and your brother see her to be.

Respect will get you through this.
      July 26, 2019 4:09 PM MDT

What's wrong with you is that either you have a vivid imagination or the fact that your wife wants to cuddle all day, your girlfriend is afraid of sharks and your friend is lusting after his father's ex-wife just leaves you too stressed out to think clearly.
      July 26, 2019 7:18 PM MDT

God only knows..................best talk to him.
      July 26, 2019 8:47 PM MDT

What is right with you? 
      July 27, 2019 12:11 AM MDT