Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think Republicans will replace Trump as their presidential nominee next year?

Do you think Republicans will replace Trump as their presidential nominee next year?

I was just reading an article were Anthony Scaramucci says Republicans should replace Trump as their presidential nominee next year. I didn't think it worked like that - I thought Trump was an automatic pick. Anyway I am started to think that it could be possible that it happens. Cheers!

Posted - August 12, 2019

Responses

Is there a Republican who has the stones to stand up to Trump and his unbounded ego?
    They are stuck with him, on the wrong side of history. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 12, 2019 3:35 PM MDT
      August 12, 2019 3:27 PM MDT

Or maybe, as hard as it may be for you to believe, the party is happy with him and expects that he will be re-elected. And what president doesn't have a big ego?
      August 12, 2019 3:39 PM MDT

Right you are. I personally find it hard to believe any sane, sentient person is happy with Trump. 

Don’t rationalize to me, Stu. Trump’s unrestrained narcissism far exceeds any contemporary comparison. 

But you are a closet Trump supporter/ admirer, aren’t you? This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 12, 2019 4:13 PM MDT
      August 12, 2019 3:58 PM MDT

No. If I supported him, I wouldn't be "in the closet" about it. But I am a political realist and I don't presume to know more about someone's personality than I actually do, whereas you and others on here seem to think you know the guy on a personal level, which I seriously doubt. While Trump has quite a few negative attributes, I see a somewhat successful and moderately popular incumbent who has done many of the things he said he would do and is getting credit for a strong economy, as is always the case no matter who occupies the White House, and who may be difficult to unseat next year, especially if the Democrats nominate a lefty wingnut like Sanders or Warren. And l fail to see that the world is somehow coming to an end because he is president, which is a conclusion that you and others readily jumped to.
      August 12, 2019 6:21 PM MDT

I have never connected Trump with any end of the world scenario, nor will I. He is many things I find repellent (and laughable) - a crappy President among them - but he’s not the friggin’ AntiChrist*. We’ve survived crappy Presidents before now. 

I make no bones about my general opposition to the President (the Dems haven’t won my admiration either),  but I too, am aware there may yet be enough willfully dissonant Americans to enable the laughingstock to be re-elected. But it is difficult to
    cite a case of an incumbent President less deserving of re-election  

*- As we are both non-Christian, this is purely metaphorical ;) 

August 12, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

There is never an automatic pick; there is always a nominating process. The incumbent is usually re-nominated unless he chooses not to run, as LBJ did in 1968.
      August 12, 2019 3:36 PM MDT

Didn't the 22nd Amendment preclude LBJ from nominating? He'd already served part of Kennedy's term as well as one in his own right.
      August 12, 2019 8:10 PM MDT

No. He served less than half of JFK's term, so he would have been allowed to serve two terms in his own right. However, he was quite unpopular by '68 due to the Vietnam War, and he made a famous speech from the Oval Office that March, with Bobby Kennedy breathing down his neck for the nomination, in which he said, "I will not seek, nor will I accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your president."

Considering that he died on 1/23/73, I've always wondered if he would have lived through another term.
      August 12, 2019 8:18 PM MDT

LBJ was eligible for a 2nd full term. He had served 6 yrs (2 of Kennedy's term and his 4 yr term) the limit is 10yrs.
      August 12, 2019 8:20 PM MDT

The nomination still must be won. The incombent is still voted on during the primaries. Neither party can arbitrarily remove and pick another candidate if a candidate recieves enough delegates for the nomination though the votes. 
    An incumbent who could not get the delegates for the nomination would know just how unpopular they were within their party and not bother running.
      August 12, 2019 8:30 PM MDT

maybe
      August 16, 2019 3:35 PM MDT