Active Now

DannyPetti
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How do you fill out a customer satisfaction survey when someone will be in trouble if you're honest?

How do you fill out a customer satisfaction survey when someone will be in trouble if you're honest?

I just bought a car and while I liked the sales guy, the transaction did not go as smoothly as it should have. He told me that if he got less than a perfect score on the survey, it would affect his pay for the next three months.  I think surveys should be used to learn how to improve service, not to punish employees. I want them to know what the issues are, but I don't want him to pay for it.

Posted - August 28, 2019

Responses

Be brutally honest. This is what a customer satisfaction survey is all about.  The business owners are asking you to evaluate the level of service provided to you by their employees.   I already see a big problem here. The salesman seems to be appealing to your sympathies in an effort to procure a much better survey than he was entitled to. That alone is something you should add in the "Additional Comments" section if it has one. You are the customer and you do not owe that salesman anything.  This actually pisses me off. I come from a family that has been in the Automobile sales industry for almost a century.

Edited to add:
    If the problems you experienced were not of his doing, then he should not feel threatened by any complaints or negative comments you may have and you should not feel bad about outlining them.   Still, that guy needs his hiney slapped for basically trying to solicit a positive survey by appealing to your emotions. This post was edited by Jon at August 29, 2019 8:36 AM MDT
      August 28, 2019 7:46 PM MDT

You make great points.

I would have challenges in this situation, I admit. But the main thing that struck me wrong was how the salesperson openly appealed to Jane S's sympathies -  I didn't see  your EDIT until after i posted my answer.

Your answer is really good.
    :)

August 28, 2019 8:04 PM MDT

Are you CRAZY?  NO customer should EVER have that kind of power over me.  GET A LIFE.  OR better still, get a job that depends on people like you to keep them employed.  
      August 28, 2019 9:01 PM MDT

I BEG your pardon?  There is no need to be rude.
    The customer absolutely has that kind of power! If you are providing a service and it is sub-standard and incapable of a quality job, then you need to find another position. That company that is employing that person is not providing a charity or daycare. They expect that employee to perform their duties. That employee's performance is a direct reflection on their Service, Company, Image, Culture... 

You're a masseuse or something like that. If you rubbed me the wrong way, you better believe I would report you to your manager in a New York minute. When I pay for something I expect quality, not half-assed incompetence and/or bad attitude. I would separate you from your position fast if you copped an attitude with me like that and I were your boss. I've done it before and would have no problem doing it again.

August 29, 2019 12:08 AM MDT

• I'll remind you that you have no job without the customers
    so they absolutely do have that kind of power. 
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 29, 2019 8:37 AM MDT
      August 29, 2019 12:18 AM MDT

This dealership does the same thing in the service department - they tell you that anything less than 5 stars is a fail. My previous dealership (different car company) used to call after a service visit and if you didn't rate them 5 star they got a little huffy. The same thing happened to my brother with that car company but in another state. I have to question the value of ratings. I generally ignore the surveys and I probably will do that this time.
      August 29, 2019 8:23 AM MDT

As a general rule, I agree with ignoring the surveys; they’re too often used incorrectly, and I take exception with the way customers are “guilt-tripped into completing them or into leaning toward five-star ratings. The very wording of some surveys is done in such a way as to leave no other recourse but to stroke the company’s ego (especially in the food service industry), and I believe you all know how I am about the proper wording of things. 
    ~
      August 29, 2019 8:44 AM MDT

In addition to Jonny Angel Goat's great points, and the fact that I, too, with my personality, would have some challenges, too, in filling out the survey in this case, especially if I ended up liking the guy -- but, I believe the salesperson was unfair to put that pressure on you about the survey.

Yet, what you wrote here in the description of your question --  maybe consider writing exactly what you wrote here - - your words seem to encapsule (spelling?) your buying experience and your intentions. Yet Jonny Angel Goat, especially with his background, again has made some really good points I hadn't thought of until I read his answer. That salesperson was wrong in my opinion to have 'appealed to your sympathies', like Jonny said.

Again, your description might be a place to start, if you choose to fill out the survey.

"I just bought a car and while I liked the sales guy, the transaction did not go as smoothly as it should have. He told me that if he got less than a perfect score on the survey, it would affect his pay for the next three months.  I think surveys should be used to learn how to improve service, not to punish employees. I want them to know what the issues are, but I don't want him to pay for it."

August 28, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

Good answer as well, Welby. I just cannot get past the salesman placing that kind of pressure on Jane.  This is nothing new. I too have had this happen to me and I liked the person. 
    I Just cannot give anyone a pass just because I like them and that just may be because of my corporate background and managerial experience
      August 28, 2019 8:28 PM MDT

After reading all these great replies, I'm starting to get peeved at the salesman for saying anything to me. If before I drove off in my car, he had asked me if there was anything I wasn't pleased with and if there was anything more he could do to fix it, that would have been a better approach.  I am also questioning how it can affect his pay for three months. I thought these guys worked mostly on commission.
      August 29, 2019 10:39 AM MDT

Thanks, Welby. I think you're right.  I haven't received the survey yet, but I'll work to find a way to get my point across.
      August 29, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

You're welcome.
      August 29, 2019 11:18 AM MDT

If you really care about the guy, find out who his boss is and tell the boss off.  Tell the boss that no customer should have that kind of power over a sales person.  And that you liked the sales person just fine.  BUT you have issues.  And one of the issues you have is COMPANIES bullying their employees when they cannot take the heat themselves.

August 28, 2019 9:03 PM MDT

I hadn't thought of that aspect, too.

Things to think about for me.

I could let the whole scenario stress me out a bit, if I were in it. :)

At this point, you and Jane and Jonny have brought up different and important aspects for me to think about. That's a good thing.
      August 28, 2019 9:14 PM MDT

You fail to understand, this is a customer satisfaction survey. 
    Employers rely on these so that they can provide their paying customers with quality service and address issues as well as reward excellence.
    Stop behaving like an employee who thinks they "deserve" a job and start thinking like a business owner who pays his/her people to perform a job as required. This post was edited by Jon at August 29, 2019 8:48 AM MDT
      August 29, 2019 12:11 AM MDT

I think it's the car company that sets this ridiculous policy. Telling off his boss wouldn't really be any different.
      August 29, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

I'd probably give a perfect score, or at least everything that had to do with him personally, but maybe tell him what he might have done better to his face.

I try to balance honesty with compassion when it comes to this sort of thing, but if it comes down to it, compassion usually wins. 
      August 28, 2019 9:12 PM MDT

I'd be close to the same approach, I'd think. But I don't know about if I'd give a perfect score, with the salesperson coming right out and asking for Jane S's perfect score. I don't know. And I'm getting sleepy and it's late. Ha!

I've appreciated everyone's input at this point in the thread.
      August 28, 2019 9:17 PM MDT

Yeah, I definitely don't like that he told her that. Seems manipulative, and I don't like that. He could potentially lose a point or two for that. But I'd start worrying about his kids not getting to go to camp... what if his wife is sick... what if he lost his job and health insurance...

I worry too much... one thing I know for sure! 

August 28, 2019 9:22 PM MDT

I can very easily fall into worrying about a lot of things, too. Yes.
    I continue to progress to a more be-better-to-myself-healthy way of living. Or, at least, I'm trying.
      August 28, 2019 9:30 PM MDT

I've heard similar things about Lyft. Drivers who have a 4/5 are actually kicked off the app. I don't recall what score they need to have, but I think it starts restricting their rides by like a 4.3, which is ridiculous. 

In any case, I find alternate ways to give feedback if there's a punishment. I may speak with the person individually or speak with their boss. But, I'll fill out the survey in a way that doesn't damage their rating/ ability to work/ pay. Obviously, a car purchase is a whole lot different than a $10 car ride, but I still think I'd write a separate letter if it was important to me. 
      August 28, 2019 10:51 PM MDT

• Why is that ridiculous?  You are just as strict when it comes to allowing people to be moderators.  If they have ever had even one infraction they are never given another chance?  How is your strict policy any different?
      August 28, 2019 11:49 PM MDT

Exactly
      August 29, 2019 12:12 AM MDT

I'm not seeing the same parallels you are, but I will try to break it down anyway.

Before being considered for a mod role, the person has to not have had any moderation action for at least six months and they must have been active during that whole time period. 

Let's say my Lyft driver is nice and polite, but misses a turn. Or, maybe s/he drives really well, but seems to be in a bad mood/ isn't social. That's not really worth a five-star-rating, in my opinion. Maybe a four, all things considered. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want that person driving me again. I'm not going to give my driver four stars because I know that doing so could cost him/ her a job. I can't justify that, not over something small. If my Lyft driver curses at me, belittles me, etc., I won't hesitate to tank their rating. That's abusive behavior and it's different. 

So, in your case, are we talking about a mod who misses a turn here and there or someone who gets horribly lost all the time? Are we talking about occasional poor language choices or are we talking about cursing and belittling people? 

But, it doesn't really end there. How much leeway do we give teachers, counselors, doctors, police officers, and so forth? Almost none. Why is that? That's why I'm not seeing the same parallels you are. 
      August 29, 2019 12:44 AM MDT