Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How do you fill out a customer satisfaction survey when someone will be in trouble if you're honest?

How do you fill out a customer satisfaction survey when someone will be in trouble if you're honest?

I just bought a car and while I liked the sales guy, the transaction did not go as smoothly as it should have. He told me that if he got less than a perfect score on the survey, it would affect his pay for the next three months.  I think surveys should be used to learn how to improve service, not to punish employees. I want them to know what the issues are, but I don't want him to pay for it.

Posted - August 28, 2019

Responses

• The parallels are exactly the same.  You want your site to be run a certain way, within the parameters you set forth and you have that right.  You have certain expectations of people especially moderators.  Anyone chosen to be a moderator is helping represent your site and in small ways assist in its operation.  You have high expectations, unrealistic ones if you ask me, just as you were accusing Lyft of having.  It is their business to run as they wish even if it is done so in an unrealistic and strict manner that is their right.  I see it as exactly the same.  You have no policy of "accident forgiveness" to quote insurance companies, that i have ever been made aware of in regards to those who wish to help moderate.   This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 29, 2019 9:29 PM MDT
      August 29, 2019 12:59 AM MDT

If you are uncomfortable filling out the survery honestly, don't fill it out at all.  
    Most surveys have ratings 1-10 for various different levels of service, then an area for comments.
    It behooves the survey taker to provide honest, accurate responses to the inquiry if it is their intent to fill it out. Anything less is disingenuous to both the employee and the establishment asking you to fill out the survey.

In service-related businesses, take restaurants for example, it is difficult or almost impossible for employers to gauge the performance of various staff who interact with the public.  Customers are at the forefront and quite often they rely on feedback from customers through surveys.
    Yes, there is the possibility for abuse like the crazed conservative who hates his waiter/waitress because they think they are "Gay" and who might leave a bogus poor review, but that is not the norm.  

This post was edited by Jon at August 30, 2019 6:52 PM MDT
      August 29, 2019 12:21 AM MDT

I didn't say I'd lie. I said I'd fill out the survey in a way that doesn't damage things for the individual. In the case of Lyft, if I would ride with the person again, they get a five-star-rating. That's my personal rating methodology. 

I had a new girl bring my groceries out to me at the store the other day. I was stuck there for an extra 20+ minutes because she couldn't manage the system well and nobody would help her. I watched her try to get help. She got a terrible rating, but I also explained in writing why she got the bad ratings and what went wrong. I wouldn't have changed my answers if I thought they'd punish her either. 
      August 29, 2019 12:50 AM MDT

In the case of the Girl, is this a person whom you have regular interactions with? If this person had been doing this job for over a month and still did not "Get it" Why would or should she remain in that position? 
    Customer surveys are usually written in a way that allows for feedback.  Let me tell you about the rotten survey  I gave someone...
    An older lady at a store near me refused to sell a 6pack of beer to a man with his young sons, one was still a toddler.
    The store has a policy where they can deny alcohol sales to someone with a minor. 
    She was very curt with this man. He was not rude and questioned the policy, but accepted it. These were clearly his kids.
    I was behind them. When I got to her, she went on about "Mass ass" tourists coming up here, doing what they want, yada yada yada.
    I became angry and informed her that we are a tourist-based economy here and without those "Mass-ass" (New Hampshire Slang for Massachusettes people) she would not have a job. Not only did I report her to her manager, but I also filled in an online customer satisfaction survey online. She was fired and I know that for a fact.

Quite often, Most often. it's not about punishment, but solving problems and as I said, rewarding excellence. Most surveys I've taken are rather concise in their format and as I said, if I don't feel comfortable with them, I don't take them
      August 29, 2019 1:04 AM MDT

It was her first day and she was close to tears because she couldn't understand why none of the other staff members were helping her or training her. I left a review that I felt was appropriate for that circumstance. It may not have been the review you would have left. C'est la vie. 
      August 29, 2019 10:02 PM MDT

You make great points Jonny Angel Goat, especially here to me.
    :)
      August 30, 2019 6:53 PM MDT

I guess I keep saying the same thing about you making good points. Sort of forgot I already said you make great points a couple of days ago. It's still true, though.
      August 30, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

Thank you Welby.  
    IIn my previous life, I managed many people in a service-oriented environment. 
    Customer service is something I am passionate about; in my professional and personal life. 
      August 30, 2019 7:11 PM MDT

Be honest about the CUSTOMER SERVICE that you received from THAT person. If you have issues that do not relate to the service provided by the salesperson, it's not fair to penalize them for that - your beef is with the company. On the other hand, don't praise sloppy service.
      August 29, 2019 2:27 AM MDT

First of all, you got the car now. Screw him and his feelings. Be honest about everything.
      August 29, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

I assume the survey asks about the saleman and about the process, the dealership etc. 

I would likely give him 5 and give lower to the process that had the hiccups than should not have been their. 

I also do not think a worker should be penalized for less than 5 stars. They should be rewarded for 5 stars but not penalized.  And that may even be what he is talking about....I will not get my bonus if I do not continue to get these 5 stars. 

It may even cause me to give 4.75 because it is just not appropriate to tell a customer.

Sounds like this is a regular ploy used by the dealership with the service department using it as well. I likely would be looking for another. I know I would if they had the nerve to call and get huffy.
      August 29, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

If you aren't aware of it ... Medicare has a rating system that ALL hospitals are required to participate in.
    Anything less than a 9 (out of 10) is "unacceptable".
    Since that affects the reimbursement we get from the government, you bet we make patients aware of it and encourage them to inform us if there is anything they think we need to do in order to increase the score they give.

But we don't wait until they are completing the form, and ask them to mark 9 and 10 scores.
      August 29, 2019 11:19 AM MDT

I was not aware of that. I have only been hospitalized once with Medicare and don't recall being asked to score them. However, I was heavily medicated, had two surgeries and there are huge gaps in my memory of those days.  I also had two broken arms so filling out forms would have been difficult (although they managed to get me sign various consent forms with a squiggle, so who knows?
      August 29, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

They don't ask every patient.  I'm not sure how large of a sample they require.  
    The hospital has to hire a 3rd Party, to do the survey.  So it's always done after the patient leaves the hospital.

CMS compare hospitals This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 29, 2019 10:20 PM MDT
      August 29, 2019 12:33 PM MDT

Thanks for clarifying.
      August 29, 2019 2:18 PM MDT

I remember that. I was so envious of the orderly who gave you sponge baths that I wanted to wait for him in the employee parking lot with a baseball bat in my hands. 

~
      August 29, 2019 10:22 PM MDT

That does not stop me from complaining when it is called for.  We complain about incompetency but then feel bad if we cause someone to be disciplined or fired.  Often the blame is actually with the company and lack of training.  That is point I try to drive home when appropriate.  But when a customer-facing employee is rude, she is also toast.  
      August 30, 2019 12:45 AM MDT