Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Trump Shows Doctored Map of Hurricane to Back His False Claim About Alabama. How do you like that?

Trump Shows Doctored Map of Hurricane to Back His False Claim About Alabama. How do you like that?

Trump uses doctored map to back false claim about Hurricane Dorian

Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

President Trump on Tuesday presented a doctored version of an official National Hurricane Center map of Hurricane Dorian's path that appeared to show Alabama in the eye of the storm.

Reality check: None of the original forecast maps featured the black loop that appeared on the map shown by Trump.

• Presumably, the loop was drawn on the map to make it appear as though Trump's false claim that Alabama was in the storm's path was true. (The National Weather Service has since debunked the claim.)
  • In response, the White House provided a map it said Trump was shown on Sunday that displayed a large possible storm track that included a small piece of Alabama. It didn't say who produced the map.
  • Trump also tweeted a map showing many possible storm tracks, including over Alabama. But the map was dated Aug. 28, days before the storm approached the coast.

The big picture: This isn't the first time Trump has pulled something like this.

• April 2019: Trump tweeted a doctored video of Nancy Pelosi that made her seem drunk with the caption "PELOSI STAMMERS THROUGH NEWS CONFERENCE."
  • January 2019: Gizmodo reported that photos posted to Trump's official Facebook page seemed altered to make himself look thinner and his hands longer. Trump faced insults about his hand size during the 2016 Republican primaries, which he adamantly refuted.
  • November 2018: Then-White House press secretary Sarah Sanders shared an edited video on Twitter of a confrontation between CNN's Jim Acosta and a White House press official that made Acosta look aggressive. The video appeared to editorialize the incident to justify the removal of Acosta's press pass.

The bottom line: The media has been focused on preparing for deepfakes, but amateur fakes coming from the White House are already happening.

This story has been updated to include the Trump tweet and the White House response.

https://www.axios.com/trump-map-dorian-doctors-media-video-a86efda7-ba6f-4989-a186-e39527824de8.html

Posted - September 4, 2019

Responses

It was the local NBC people speculating where it could go.  I feel like Florida dodged a bullet in general, and we on the west side were very fortunate.  South Florida is narrow so even if a storm hits on the east if it keeps moving west it just eats up everything and then can go back out into the warm Gulf water and refuel.   I think it was Andrew in 90s that tore up both sides of Florida.  It hit on the east and exited on the west then went on to cause havoc on the Louisiana coast.  The maps we see on network news stations are not always the one on the weather service website.  It's close but they like to speculate....that keeps viewers tuned in I guess.  I watched this one more closely than I have in the past.  I watched Irma but the day it was to hit I left home and went to Orlando to stay with friends.  So glad I did. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 8, 2019 11:38 AM MDT
      September 5, 2019 8:55 PM MDT

All the stations were speculating and the speculations changed frequently.  The hard part was because the storm was moving so slowly.  I don't thing anyone anticipated it spending 12 hours hovering over the Bahamas.  I really feel for those folks.  Aside from the material devastation, they are in need of water and food and shelter.  I have friend that lives in Daytona Beach and I remember vividly how she and her family kept driving north during Andrew.  They wound up finally in Georgia and stayed a couple of days and then went home.  No serious damage for them.  Yes, there was no way to predict the track of this one and the west coast probably was very lucky to only have rain and wind although that can be bad, too.  
      September 8, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

Let's see.  I want to get all clever here, but do we need that?  HE IS FREAKING NUTSO.  

NUTSSSSSSSSSSSS
      September 4, 2019 7:05 PM MDT

I would add another "S" to this.
      September 5, 2019 8:09 AM MDT

This is only the beginning...

September 6, 2019 1:29 PM MDT

Some of these memes have been hysterical.
      September 6, 2019 2:35 PM MDT

OH and I love you for posting this.  WON DER FUL
      September 4, 2019 7:06 PM MDT

I don't post often, but when I do, it's a good one. :)
      September 5, 2019 8:05 AM MDT

I just watch a vid of Trump explaining his weather chart at the WH and I thought somebody in his family must have been a meteorologist  because it seemed like meteorology was in his blood (joke because he said he knew all about science because his uncle was a scientist). Anyway I bet that chart cost tax payers at least $500 and I think it would of been $500 better spent if he made a chart that showed how long it would take North Korea's new sub (that's cable of carrying a couple of nukes) to reach Hawaii. I included a link to the vid. Cheers!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/09/04/president-trump-shows-doctored-hurricane-chart-was-it-cover-up-alabama-twitter-flub/
      September 4, 2019 7:14 PM MDT

Well, Trump knows everything about everything so I'm not surprised that he reinvented the weather map.  Come on, we know North Korea isn't going to attack us - Trump said so.  
      September 5, 2019 8:02 AM MDT

I can find reports Sat that it could cross FL into the Gulf. AL is in the Gulf last time I checked. 

https://www.pnj.com/story/weather/2019/08/29/hurricane-dorian-could-make-second-landfall-along-gulf-coast/2152412001/

T
    he Nancy drunk video was not claimed to be real everyone knew it was a funny video. Welcome to the internet Dems. 

The video of Acosta was edited. To slow it down and zoom it in. He should have given the mic to the young lady. And should not have touched her at all.  

The FB video I have not heard anything about but do not care enough to look up. 

September 4, 2019 7:16 PM MDT

You really should apply for a job as Trump's assistant.  
      September 5, 2019 8:00 AM MDT

I've already suggested she should fill the vacancy left when Sarah quit. She sings in His Royal Orangeness's exact key.
      September 5, 2019 8:15 AM MDT

I'm telling you - I have never known anyone to be able to come up with an excuse for everything Trump does/says that is ridiculous.  We should bring her to Trump's attention.
      September 5, 2019 8:19 AM MDT

That would be great. I would love to help approve his Twitter posts before he tweets them.
      September 5, 2019 8:50 AM MDT

I think someone should prank Don Don and fake Sean Hannity's voice and tell Trump the hurricane has wiped out Greenland.  
      September 4, 2019 7:18 PM MDT

He probably doesn't even remember that he wanted to buy it.  You know Mr. Wo0nderful's saying on Shark Tank, "You're dead to me?"  Well, that's Trump when he's thwarted.
      September 5, 2019 7:58 AM MDT

You are right.  THIS?  Instead of forgetting about Alabama, he keeps it up just in case NO ONE NOTICED WHAT A FOOL HE IS.  

There is no end to this.  We have a monkey in charge and he is not even a trained monkey.  A trained monkey would beat this guy.  
      September 6, 2019 1:33 PM MDT

I agree wholeheartedly.  At least a trained monkey can help the organ grinder!
      September 6, 2019 2:34 PM MDT

Turns out Trump may have broken a Federal law by posting false weather information. It would be pretty funny if he goes to court and the Judge sentences him to have no contact with sharpie pens for 2 years. Cheers! 
      September 5, 2019 9:36 AM MDT

Well, if it had crossed the Florida peninsula and then regenerated over the gulf and moved Southwest, it could have hit Mexico as well.

Do I get credit for bring that up?
      September 6, 2019 3:45 PM MDT

He is still going on about that map - late last night in between tweets about Talaban leaders and James Comet Trump posted a vid of a cat playing with a laser pointer in front of a hurricane Dorian forecast map with the song Yakety Sax playing in the background- seems a bit crazy to me. I included a link to the vid and more info. Cheers!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-tweets-bizarre-cat-163027190.html
      September 8, 2019 12:27 PM MDT

They should have at least gotten some Millennial to Photoshop the map instead of just using a Sharpie. This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at September 8, 2019 12:30 PM MDT
      September 8, 2019 12:30 PM MDT