Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How can the government buy back something from you that they did not sell to you?

How can the government buy back something from you that they did not sell to you?

This question always come to mind when I hear anti-American politicians talk about mandatory gun buybacks.

Posted - September 20, 2019

Responses

Personal insect repellent is still perfectly legal, and in the eyes of an attacker it's more effective than capsicum spray. My better half carries thst in her handbag.
    It's still a straw man, "if A then B" does not apply. The gun buyback did not cause the increase, they'd been ticking up before that. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 28, 2019 8:07 PM MDT
      September 28, 2019 7:36 PM MDT

No it is facts. You took away guns and your crime rate for assaults increased. And this happened at the same time the crime rate for the rest of the world (except UK who also took their peoples guns) including the USA who increased the guns in our country. 
      September 29, 2019 6:37 AM MDT

Check the shape of the curve, not the raw numbers - any student of criminology (e.g. my daughter) or mathematics will tell you that. Yes, the numbers increased - but the rate did NOT accelerate, they were increasing BEFORE Port Arthur, so it's irrelevant.
      September 29, 2019 8:48 PM MDT

The entire worlds crime rates decreased except for the two countries who removed their citizens defense weapons. They let the criminals know they have sitting ducks to attack. 

I prefer numbers. Harder for people to spin. 40% is a huge jump. The rapists knew they had unarmed victims. 

This is what 2nd amendment supporters have been explaining for decades. When you remove gun from law abiding people only the criminals have guns. And you take away the equalizer. A 100# single mother cannot overpower a 200# man. But a firearm can protect her and her children and it happens all the time. 
      September 30, 2019 5:20 AM MDT

I know you're trying to look like you know what you're talking about, but it's just not working for you.
      September 28, 2019 8:52 PM MDT

Bullsh**. I sent my kids to school every day, and they will send theirs, secure in the knowledge that they won't be gunned down while there. No parent in America can make that claim.
      September 28, 2019 8:59 PM MDT

Actually, a lot of parents can say that, because a lot of the school systems are waking up and teachers can and do carry guns. 

September 28, 2019 9:21 PM MDT

And if the teacher freaks out and guns down the class? Or, being COMPLETELY untrained, attempts to shoot an armed invader and hits a few innocent bystanders instead?
    Switzerland has almost as high a per capita rate of gun ownership as the US - but as a term of service is mandatory there, gun owners are trained veterans (and particularly know when NOT to use them). Those deemed incapable of serving or of understanding the oath, dishonourably discharged or suffering from a mental illness are not permitted them.
      September 29, 2019 12:28 AM MDT

Teachers are required to be screened and trained before being allowed to have the firearm in school. 
      September 29, 2019 6:39 AM MDT

There is a literal definition of the phrase buyback.  

But it is now also being used now to label a concept---with the emphasis on the "back" part of the word, rather than on the entity who is doing the buying.  

September 28, 2019 2:27 PM MDT