Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How can the government buy back something from you that they did not sell to you?

How can the government buy back something from you that they did not sell to you?

This question always come to mind when I hear anti-American politicians talk about mandatory gun buybacks.

Posted - September 20, 2019

Responses

Do you know how many school shootings have happened in this country this year?  22.  Separate schools.  Who cares what we call it?  We need to get rid of guns.  We are trying to be NICE.  

Because. We have the MONEY.  So we can give you back your money and now hand over that gun.

PLAIN as DAY.  You called me an ahole,remember?    What is someone who is looking for a problem where none exists? You don't care about the gun problem.  
      They COULD just tell you to kiss off and take the gun anyway.  I think they are being nice. AND I think it is about time to TAKE CHARGE of how guns are used in this country.  PERIOD.

And if we need to pay people for their guns, fine.  Just get rid of the guns.  I don't care how.  GET RID OF THE GUNS.   Most people have zero business owning an ASSAULT RIFLE.  OKAY?  

I don't think personally that we need to do any buy- back.  We need to do a FINE back. That is what is needed for idiots who think they have the RIGHT to own weapons of mass destruction.  That is what an assault rifle is.   These guns are in the hands of the wrong people, should be illegal and handguns should be allowed ONE per household.  ONE.  Not an arsenal.  

ONE.  And that ONE weapon needs to have a background check.  

Screw the buy-back.  Everyone who owns more than one handgun should be fined 10,000 per gun. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 20, 2019 1:50 AM MDT
      September 20, 2019 1:38 AM MDT

I hope the Dem nominee whoever it is runs on that loud and proud.  At least they would be honest.
      September 20, 2019 4:32 AM MDT

Nobdoy's gonna take anything.  They are going to make buying a gun a serious choice.  We make buying a car a serious choice.  A gun needs to have at least as much background as a car.  MORE.  But, those details can be ironed out later.  We cannot make it easy for joe INSANO to have an arsenal in his basement.  Sure, there will always be one or two Uni Bombers per decade anyway, but now it is one or two a week.  Background checks?  That is a good thing.  They are going to ban ( HOPE assault rifles.  There is zero need.  NONE. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 28, 2019 12:11 PM MDT
      September 28, 2019 12:09 PM MDT

Do you think I should have to give up my semi automatic 22 hunting rifle that is over a hundred years old?
      September 20, 2019 9:43 AM MDT

I am sure there will be a clause stipulating that arms kept as "antiques" and are displayed in a case would be just fine.  Empty, and display those bullets in another case. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 28, 2019 12:07 PM MDT
      September 28, 2019 12:05 PM MDT

Ok. Then they should call it a mandatory sell off. 

September 20, 2019 4:34 AM MDT

Buyback has become a concept, rather than a word to be defined. 

The comprehension has to be adjusted by the individual now that the extension of the word has increased.

September 28, 2019 2:33 PM MDT

Language certainly evolves over time but just because it sounds better does mean it is correct. 

But it is mandatory and a person is being required to sell their property. It is not a buy back....the property may have never even been bought at all by the owner. 

Mandatory selloff is certainly more accurate. 
      September 28, 2019 7:22 PM MDT

Can't instigate a mandatory sell off unless there is a buyer or buyers for what are requiring to be sold.

So, "mandatory selloff" cannot be more accurate.

I found this site on the internet:  https://www.reckon.com/reckon-blog/8-powerful-tricks-make-grasp-new-concepts-faster/
      September 29, 2019 3:21 PM MDT

The required buyer is the government.

I understand why they are using the term....it makes it sound better than what it is. The forced removal of private property. This post was edited by my2cents at September 30, 2019 5:24 AM MDT
      September 29, 2019 3:45 PM MDT

The main issue I have with "gun buy back" programs is ... they are illegal exchanges of firearms.
    The group never has a FFL (Federal Firearms License) - necessary for a business to legally buy/sell firearms.
    And no, there is no exception in the law for the groups doing these programs.
    In states where a background check is required for ANY firearm transfer ... including borrowing from a friend/relative ... these "buy back" programs NEVER do the background check.

The secondary issue is that the firearms are rarely checked against crime databases.
    What better way to get rid of a gun used in a crime, than sell it to a bunch of "do gooders" who will pay you for it AND destroy the evidence?
    Even in the rare cases they DO check the firearm, they don't have the name of the person they bought it from.

But the thing I find humorous about "gun buy back" programs is ... sometimes they pay a set price, regardless of the gun.
    There have been a couple where they paid $100 for each gun.  
    They paid that amount whether it was a working gun or not.  They even paid kids who turned in water guns, pellet guns, and Nerf guns.
      September 20, 2019 9:00 AM MDT

"Buy back" in this context does not mean that the government buys from you something that they once sold you.

It means the government agrees to pay the market price for a gun that you bought from anyone. It is a way of compensating the gun owner for the cost of something he or she must give up.

This idea may seem "anti-American" to some, especially those who support the most relaxed policies on the American constitutional right to bear arms. 

The U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment states,  "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

But, if my understanding is correct, this statement does not logically or necessarily mean all kinds of arms.
    When the amendment was written, no one had imagined the future existence of automatic or semi-automatic weapons with firepower far beyond the level necessary for personal self-defence.
    We could imagine that one day a government could come to power which is so unjust that a civilian militia might need enough power to defeat the government's combined armed forces. Now that's asking a lot. That would mean civilians having a finger on at least as many nuclear weapons as the USA now has in storage - and the willingness to drop such bombs on their own cities, war centres, industries, and infrastructure.
    Which would raise the question - just how far would Americans really want to push this issue?

As I see it, no one would need even one semi-automatic weapon to pull down a corrupt or despotic government.
    All you'd have to do is pull the plug on the electricity (and the back-up generators.)

Even the most conservative Americans have long agreed that if someone is proven to be mad, chronically violent, severely depressed, psychopathic or criminal, then he or she has no right to own or use arms such as guns. This already places a limit on who has a right.

Then we have the problem that one can never predict who might go mad in future. We know with certainty, according to statistics, that a certain percentage of people will go mad at some point in their lives - and we cannot predict which ones.
    Some of those who go mad will get hold of a powerful gun if they can and commit a massacre.
    When the means are available, in a population of 327.2 million, increasingly frequent massacres are inevitable.

So it's really a choice.
    If the freedoms remain the same, the frequency and size of massacres will continue to rise.
    If the right to own a gun is limited to less powerful weapons and to a system based on licensing for specific purposes and training in responsible uses and precautions - then people retain their capacity for self-defence.

And as for militia - it would be wiser for the serious organisers of revolution to study strategy. Without well-informed planning, no weapon in the world would have a chance against the might of the American armed forces.

America is not static. It is a dynamic culture continually evolving. Conditions and technologies change.
    The reason why democracies are designed for flexibility in legislation is so that society can adapt to the effects of change.

September 21, 2019 12:23 AM MDT

Pretty good---but more of a class syllabus than a simple answer.  

Comprehensive commentary---extra credit will be awarded.
      September 28, 2019 2:35 PM MDT

Come after my guns, and there will be a war in my yard.  This post was edited by my2cents at September 28, 2019 7:23 PM MDT
      September 27, 2019 10:14 PM MDT

We haven't had a mass shooting in Australia since the buyback 23 years ago. Coincidence?

IT WORKS.
      September 27, 2019 10:25 PM MDT

Israel doesn't have school shootings either now that their teachers carry weapons. Coincidence? 

September 28, 2019 11:49 AM MDT

Since there are NO descriptions about the errors that occur because of this practice, it is hard to argue your narrow perspective.

This I DO KNOW.  WE are not a nation of soldiers.  We are a nation of softies.  Giving ANYONE in this country of child molesters, rapists, robbers, con artists jobs with guns, is beyond insane.  Those are the worst.  The others are ladies and men too that don't know how to shoot anything.  And that is not something we need to teach them.   (MOST TEACHERS ARE WONDERFUL. BUT THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE SOCIOPATH IN EACH BARREL) Judging from REALITY?

This would be SO HORRIBLE that the mass shootings would pale in comparison. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 28, 2019 11:58 AM MDT
      September 28, 2019 11:54 AM MDT

You can say whatever you want to say, do whatever you want to do, but you better believe one thing, come after my guns, and you will face the fight of your life, because I will not surrender my guns to no one. I am not alone with this. 
      September 28, 2019 9:11 PM MDT

Double negative. You just said you would surrender your guns to someone - as you should. What use does ANY civilian have for a military style weapon?
      September 28, 2019 9:17 PM MDT

They still have mass shootings outside schools. Israel is a war zone, the case isn't parallel with anywhere. That war has been raging for 3000 years, it's fratricidal and there isn't an easy solution. Straw man.
      September 28, 2019 5:44 PM MDT

Of course they have shootings, it's a war zone. 
      September 28, 2019 9:12 PM MDT

Australia assaults (40%) are up and sexual assaults (20%) are up as as well. Think that has anything to do with disarming victims?

Homicide has decreased by nine percent since 1990 and armed robbery by one-third since 2001, but recorded assaults and sexual assaults have both increased steadily in the past 10 years by over 40 percent and 20 percent respectively. The rate of aggravated assault appears to have contributed to the marked rise in recorded assault, and for both assault and sexual assault the rate of increase was greater for children aged under 15 years, with increases almost double that of the older age group.

Notice the source in my link is the Australian government.

23 ys? Jun 4 2019.....almost 4 months. 

September 28, 2019 6:49 PM MDT

Quit building straw men. The. Vics. Weren't. Armed. Beforehand. Concealed carry has NEVER been legal in Australia, what the buyback did was prevent wack jobs who should never be permitted to handle firearms from getting access to them. If you don't need a gun, you can't have one. What use did Adam Lanza's mother have for a semiautomatic assault rifle?

I could have kept my bolt-action .22 (hunting is a legitimate reason to own a gun, it had no SL function - didn't even have a magazine, and a .22 isn't an effective anti-personnel weapon anyway due to its small calibre and low muzzle velocity), but registration fees became extortionate and I hadn't hunted in a couple years anyway, so handing it in was no biggie. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 28, 2019 7:33 PM MDT
      September 28, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

It is not a straw man. It is the facts from your gov. 
    I do not carry...never have. But it would be a mistake for a rapist to make that assumption. Because I very well could be but if all guns were removed from possible victims the criminal now would be correct to assume I and any other woman is not armed.
      September 28, 2019 7:26 PM MDT