Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » What’s the most useless feature or gadget on the refrigerator in your home? ~

What’s the most useless feature or gadget on the refrigerator in your home? ~

Posted - October 13, 2019

Responses

The door to the fridge side.....it just fell off...  :( 
      October 13, 2019 2:47 PM MDT

Water/ice dispenser.  Since my kitchen water is solar heated, the fridge cant make ice (melts the old ice) and the water is always hot.
      October 13, 2019 5:21 PM MDT

The magnets. They lost their strength and can't hold stuff up. 
      October 13, 2019 6:31 PM MDT

Wow, I’ve never heard of that happening to magnets.  You’re just joking, right?

~
      October 13, 2019 6:33 PM MDT

The coating of paint serves no purpose,  the appliance would be a lot cheaper without that. If it looks ugly  I could just cover it with a sheet if someone has a sheet to give.
      October 13, 2019 10:39 PM MDT

Well played, my friend. Very well played indeed. 

~
      October 14, 2019 5:05 AM MDT

It's a Kitchen Aide.  That was supposed to be a great brand but it is a crap fridge.  It gets cold and the doors stay closed, but it was not a cheap fridge.  But the whole thing is made with plastic and plastic parts and it is a piece of crap.  Period.  

Everything is useless because it is just not good enough for me.   Thank God it is old. I'll get  a new one soon.

best fridges 2019
    GE

If the home is a family's universe, the refrigerator is the sun. Everything revolves around it, from breakfasts to-gohealthy lunches, and rowdy dinners around the table. That's why getting a new refrigerator is kind of a big deal. There are tons of factors to consider — everything from configuration and dimensions to finishes and special features. Of course, there's no getting around the price: They're expensive. But if you want a top pick from a reliable brand that will stand steady in your family's orbit for years to come, you're in the right place.

The Good Housekeeping Institute's Kitchen Appliances and Technology Lab evaluates fridges on their ability to regulate temperatures for grocery list staples like lettuce, deli meat, and frozen foods. That's in addition to looking at shelf configuration, type of controls, helpfulness of the manual, and more. (Scroll to the bottom of this story for more information on our testing process.)

Our top Lab pick is the GE Profile Series French-Door Refrigerator, complete with a Keurig K-Cup Brewing System. It scored highest on temperature maintenance and uniformity testing and wowed our Lab experts with its smart design features. It's also Wi-Fi enabled, so you can adjust settings, preheat water for coffee, and more with the downloadable app.

Overall, we think these are the best refrigerators to buy in 2019:

Best Overall Refrigerator: GE Profile Series French-Door Refrigerator
    Best Refrigerator for Families: Samsung Family Hub Refrigerator
    Best Value Refrigerator:
     Maytag Wide French Door Refrigerator
    Best Door-in-Door Refrigerator: LG InstaView Door-in-Door
    Best Smudge-Proof Refrigerator: Kenmore Elite French Door
    Best Counter-Depth Refrigerator: GE Café French-Door Refrigerator
    Best Double Freezer Refrigerator: Miele PerfectCool Series
    Best Side-by-Side Refrigerator: Whirlpool 36-Inch Side-by-Side Refrigerator
    Best Top Freezer Refrigerator: Frigidaire Gallery 30-Inch Top Freezer Refrigerator
    Best Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
    LG 24.1-cu ft Bottom Freezer Refrigerator

When shopping for a new refrigerator online or in a store, these are the main things you want to consider:

Configuration: The big players are side-by-sides, top-freezers, and bottom-freezers. Side-by-sides require less space for the doors to swing open, but you need to bend down to find food at the base of the fridge and freezer. Bottom-freezers (like French-door models) put the most-used compartment at eye level. Top-freezer fridges cost less but require you to bend to get into the fridge.

Dimensions: Your fridge typically has to fit between counter space, so you'll need to match the width to the layout of your kitchen. Built-ins and cabinet-depth models sit flush with counters and cabinets but may be more costly.

Finishes: Stainless steel is the most popular because it has a sleek-yet-neutral look, but some prefer a white or black fridge (or the recently popular black stainless steel). Built-ins typically offer exterior paneling that matches your kitchen cabinets. Many modern finishes are fingerprint-resistant.

Features: Consider the shelving and internal drawers to see if they work for your family's eating habits. If you like to store a few bottles of wine in the fridge, make sure there's amble height and/or adjustable shelving; if you order pizza frequently you'll probably want to store the box inside. Some fridges also offer humidity controls on crisper drawers, meat or deli drawers, and other features for keeping foods at the ideal storage temp.

Once you make your pick, don't miss our Test Kitchen's ultimate guide to organizing your fridge. Until then, read more about our favorite models:

BEST OVERALL REFRIGERATOR
    Series French-Door Refrigerator
    GE
    GE PROFILEbestbuy.com
    $2,994.99

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 14, 2019 12:18 AM MDT
      October 14, 2019 12:11 AM MDT

Spacing abuse, comma abuse, hyphen abuse, grrrrrrrrrrr. 
      When cutting and pasting, you are responsible for the final product, their errors become your errors if you post them. One hundred seventy-five demerits. 

And no tilde, either!

October 14, 2019 5:17 AM MDT

I do not attach anything to my refrigerator.   After years of frig clutter, I am now free of it....another one of my happinesses.  
      October 14, 2019 3:48 PM MDT