Active Now

Spunky
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Do you think roundabouts are an improvement over intersections?

Do you think roundabouts are an improvement over intersections?

Posted - October 22, 2019

Responses

Yes I do, but not major intersections.
      October 22, 2019 5:35 PM MDT

"f" to the "n".
      October 22, 2019 5:48 PM MDT

Not to put to much spin on it,but yes ,in a roundabout sort of way....:) 
      October 22, 2019 6:16 PM MDT

Are you talking in circles again?
      October 22, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

No,we just need more ring road to get around congestion and get you going straight again....  :)
      October 23, 2019 3:00 AM MDT

No!  There are several of them around here and no one knows how to drive through one.  Some treat them as stop signs, others as a race track (who can get through it the fastest).  We even have a roundabout that's simply painted onto the roadway (no one obeys that one).  
      October 22, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

No. Give me a good old 4 way stop sign. 
      October 22, 2019 7:14 PM MDT

no

October 22, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

It reminds me of my favorite YES song.

October 22, 2019 7:35 PM MDT

Yup -- that is a great one for sure!
      October 22, 2019 7:41 PM MDT

• I Love Them. 
    My whole life has been about going in circles.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 23, 2019 6:15 AM MDT
      October 22, 2019 9:20 PM MDT

Nope. 
    ~
      October 22, 2019 9:44 PM MDT

On neighborhood and non-major two-lane roads, yes.  I'm a big fan.
      October 23, 2019 12:10 AM MDT

• “Hey look, kids, there’s Big Ben, and there’s Parliament.”

October 23, 2019 6:18 AM MDT

Reminds me of the old 'Billy Preston' song of the 1970s; 'Will it Go Round in Circles' 

October 23, 2019 9:13 AM MDT

In the day and age of wgons pulled by horse is they were an improvement.  In this day and age of the Auto - No.  I consider them dangerous and ill advised on anything but a very lightly traveled road.
      October 24, 2019 1:47 PM MDT

They were not invented in the days of horse-drawn wagons, but well after cars and lorries became the norm and the lingering equine traffic was already obsolete.

You might consider them dangerous but there is no objective reason why they should be more hazardous than an ordinary cross-roads, and that is on major roads too, not minor ones.

Some can be confusing by having several exits and poor lane marking easily hidden by other vehicles, especially when at least one of the roads is a dual-carriageway. A few are over-complicated (one notorious example, in the English town of Swindon, soon became called "The Magic Roundabout"!). Generally though, they are far safer than plain junctions, because you round them or give way in one set direction.  

My commuting route involved 6 full main-road roundabouts plus a smaller "mini-roundabout". I never found them a problem.

In 2012, two were replaced by traffic-lights with short dual-queue lanes, allegedly to suit "The Olympics" by allowing manual control. (In reality it would only have been the officials and VIP hangers-on, and I don't think this control happened anyway; attending the sailing events hosted in Portland Harbour). So instead of two efficient roundabouts we now have two hazardous sprawls of tarmac approached from each side by a sort of unofficial drag-race start, worsened at first by bad traffic-light timing that the Council eventually and rather grudgingly had to put right.

I wonder if the OP lives somewhere ("intersection"... so an American state?) where roundabouts have only just been introduced to her region. If so I can assure her they are much safer and easier than plain junctions, if (like any other road feature) used properly and legally.

November 1, 2019 4:28 PM MDT

IMO they are dangerous except on low and poorly traveled roads. 

Now ask yourself when was Picadilly circus designed, and what was the mode of transport.  Now take a look at Paris and the design, what was the mode of transport.

Answer horse and buggy
      November 2, 2019 4:44 AM MDT

I accept as you say it being your opinion, but I don't understand why you insist they are dangerous - even ignoring that anyway it's not the roads but drivers who are dangerous.

There must be very many thousands of roundabouts all over the UK, many built a long time ago; from Motorway junctions with the "ordinary" roads (the r'bout itself is formed by bridges above or below the motorway, not of course, on it), via joining dual- and single-carriageway A-class roads, down to small "mini-roundabouts" comprised of a low, white-painted hump on the asphalt in town-centres and housing estates.

There is a definite technique, taught by driving-schools and advanced-driving courses, for negotiating them; but if roundabouts were genuinely as dangerous as you claim they would be the site for the majority of road accidents, and would have been replaced decades ago.

Driving on any road is hazardous, but excessive speed, reckless over-taking and pulling out of side-roads without looking, are among the main causes of crashes; not junction types. You can't just single out one type of junction and condemn it in such a blanket fashion just because you don't like it.

November 3, 2019 2:04 PM MST