Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Where on earth does time not exist as we mostly know it ?? Or where on earth can't you tell the time...:)

Where on earth does time not exist as we mostly know it ?? Or where on earth can't you tell the time...:)

Posted - October 26, 2019

Responses

(She was correcting her spelling.)
      October 26, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

It has to be at the north and south poles....The longitude lines all meet at the same point....what time is it at any given point is determined by where you live on the planet I would think...
    If we all head north from where we live and arrive at the same time  ........if we are all wearing watches ,none will read the same...
      October 26, 2019 8:07 PM MDT

Of course! Ha, ha! I like it. :)
    Thank you. :D
      October 26, 2019 8:14 PM MDT

Sometimes in my bedroom.  Sometimes in motel bedrooms. 
      October 26, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

Yikes...I shan't delve into that.
      October 26, 2019 8:00 PM MDT

But its OK - others have.
      October 26, 2019 8:08 PM MDT

Aah... either you're having such a wonderful time that you don't notice it passing
    or such a boring time that it seems to stand still... yes?
      October 26, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

• Within sweet and innocent childhood it is often as though there is no time.  Such forces are secretly and artfully interwoven into one's early years in a seemingly invisible manner, stringing every event of every day together but rarely being felt or acknowledged.  It passes by unnoticed while laughter and playfulness with their larger than life antics take center stage.  Carefree and untethered by a constant countdown of infinity's tics and tocs beautiful youth remains blissfully unaware of mortality until one day unexpected and unforeseen the awakening from dreams occurs and reality sets in.  We are now older.  Time moves more quickly and we are chasing after it like the wind.  much in the same way a child refuses to let go of playground fun and fantasies, we too find ourselves asking, as days and decades pass on, for just 5 more minutes.  Just five minutes more...please, for where there is time, there never exists enough of it. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 27, 2019 12:38 PM MDT
      October 26, 2019 9:18 PM MDT

Your perspective on time is sweet, pure, and honest. Nothing you say can be disputed or disproved.
    Time holds very little significance to a child unless it encapsulates events which hold significant importance that only a child can experience, such as the anticipation of Christmas morn or the dread of the first day of school
      October 26, 2019 9:45 PM MDT

• Ahh yes, but even then their perception of time is warped and often incorrect.  Based on emotions revolving around gleeful anticipation or even dread.  Things can seem to go much slower or faster than is accurate because they have no real chronological gauge.  Time is not an absolute with them.  It is instead a wild variable that fails to reflect reality.  You are correct though.  Those are the type of moments when time begins to quietly and casually make its presence known to children. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 27, 2019 12:39 PM MDT
      October 26, 2019 10:47 PM MDT

Interesting question.  

One definition of time is "the measurement of things that change."

The situation at the poles is interesting.  On the one hand, you may not know which time zone you are in relative to another zone (or are you in all of them at once?), but a measure of the duration between events is still possible (such as by using a stopwatch).

And, just for those interested, I had occasion to read this in Wikipedia last week:

Standard time is the synchronization of clocks within a geographical area or region to a single time standard, rather than using solar time or a locally chosen meridian (longitude) to establish a local mean time standard. Generally, standard time agrees with the local mean time at some meridian that passes through the region, often near the center of the region. Historically, the concept was established during the 19th century to aid weather forecasting and train travel. Applied globally in the 20th century, the geographical areas became extended around evenly spaced meridians into time zones which (usually) centered on them. The standard time set in each time zone has come to be defined in terms of offsets from Universal Time. In regions where daylight saving time is used, that time is defined by another offset, from the standard time in its applicable time zones.

The adoption of standard time, because of the inseparable correspondence between time and longitude, solidified the concepts of halving the globe into an eastern and western hemisphere, with one prime meridian (as well its opposite International Date Line) replacing the various prime meridians that had previously been used.
      October 27, 2019 1:03 PM MDT

Einstein said that time was relative, and we can experience time differently from each other, this makes me think of when I clock watched at school wishing for a lesson to end, in comparison to when I hit 25 and time appeared to speed up and now I'm suddenly in my forties wondering where my life has gone?

Time is the measuring of change that goes one way, resulting in atrophy.

From my own perspective time only exists due to the measuring of atrophy or change but doesn't exist "inside us." I feel we often experience aging as something we battle against because our outsides don't match our insides.  Time may give us wisdom and experience, but the inner world doesn't really age.
      October 27, 2019 2:53 PM MDT