Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you pretend that you’re not biased on any subject whatsoever, or are you more truthful about your own bias/biases? ~

Do you pretend that you’re not biased on any subject whatsoever, or are you more truthful about your own bias/biases? ~

Posted - October 28, 2019

Responses

It's impossible to judge oneself fairly or objectivly I think......sep't in my case as I'm a natural blonde and fair by nature as you must surly know by now......
    Now where is my Green Ribbon ....I'm being nice to you so deserves one again....:)D 

October 28, 2019 7:24 PM MDT

I'm truthful about my biases,
    and I think most people here know what they are.

But I try to maintain a neutral and factual tone when explaining how and why I hold a particular view.
    I want to make it easy for those who don't agree
    to understand the reasons behind differing opinions,
    to feel that I still respect their right to hold the views they do,
    and to feel free to engage in polite, well reasoned and researched debate if they wish.

There are some situations in which I refrain from speaking at all
    if I think it would be useless or might backfire.
      October 28, 2019 7:39 PM MDT

I try to be open to my bias/biases and admit to them. Sometimes i may be unaware of the specific biases but I try to be open when I become aware of them. 

In (maybe) a related topic, I believe all of us are hypocrites in one way or another (or more than one way).
    :)

October 28, 2019 8:18 PM MDT

I admit that I am biased at times.
      October 29, 2019 8:59 AM MDT

The reason people get out of my way is because I do not pretend anything.  If I am biased, it is a REAL bias.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 29, 2019 8:34 PM MDT
      October 29, 2019 9:00 AM MDT

Everyone is biased.  Some know it, some do not. Some try to see both sides and some do not.

Life experiences instill these biases as a way of learning from past mistakes and observations.

We are all capable of making decisions based on just facts of a situation. 
      October 29, 2019 9:24 AM MDT

Of course I have biases. Everyone does. However, I'd like to make a counterpoint. 

The major culprit is usually unconscious bias. The keyword being "unconscious." If people don't realize they have one, it's hard for them to be "truthful" and admit its existence. 

How exactly does a person identify their own unconscious biases? Now that is the question of the day. I'm going to go ask it. ^_^
      October 29, 2019 2:44 PM MDT

I saw your posted question - - and then second-guessed my answer I posted here.
    :)
      October 29, 2019 8:35 PM MDT