Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Which of these two products, if either, is more of a money-making scam than the other?

Which of these two products, if either, is more of a money-making scam than the other?

Fabric softeners

Fuel additives for automobiles

Posted - October 28, 2019

Responses

Fabric softener because with the high cost of gazoline in Canada it's probably cheaper to fill my tank with just additives.
      October 29, 2019 5:07 AM MDT

I don't use fabric softener. However, in an effort to prevent winter motor fuel problems, I use cold weather fuel additives. When that temp. gets below 0, I want my car to run, or I could freeze to death out on the road. 
      October 29, 2019 8:24 AM MDT

What is the benefit of additives?  I have never used them except in my windshield solution.  One winter I made the mistake of turning on my wipers to "clean" the windows in the middle of winter.  Immediately the solution froze and I was unable to see out of the windows.  I was unaware that gas freezes as well.
      October 29, 2019 9:24 AM MDT

It depends on what "additive" we're talking about.
    There are different ones, that do different things.
    I keep seeing some that claim to "clean your engine".  I guess you'd have to dismantle your engine ... or run a camera probe ... to see if they actually work.
      October 29, 2019 1:57 PM MDT

Fabric softener is not a rip off.  It helps maintain your clothing and makes them smell good. 

I do not know enough about fuel additives to know if they are a rip off or not.  

But for this question, I will go with fuel additives. I have never needed them. 

October 29, 2019 9:30 AM MDT