tom jackson
Adaydreambeliever
Jon
Twinkle Dink
Nevan B
kjames
WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Fill in the Blank » Do you wear glasses? If so, what do you find are the worst hassles about them?

Do you wear glasses? If so, what do you find are the worst hassles about them?

What are your do's and don'ts about taking care of them
and helping them last as long as possible without damage?

What are the big no-no's that cause the greatest risk of damage?

Posted - November 28, 2019

• 46227
    ME.  I am the worst hassle about them.  If I have to have something that I take on and off that I do not wear every second?  I'm going to put it down and I am very absent-minded.  I will spend a lot of time not finding them when I need them.  I have readers and contact lenses permanently embedded in my eyeballs.  So, I am always losing the glasses.  So many of them get broken or misplaced, I just get them from the dollar store.  By way of explanation, since you may not know this little fact, when one has contact lens implants, one has to choose between being nearsighted or far-sighted.  I chose far-sighted so I would not have to wear glasses as much.  After all, that is the point of the lenses in the first place.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 4, 2019 6:12 AM MST
      November 28, 2019 10:45 PM MST
    2

• 3385
    The same!
    I don't have the contacts - but I have the dime-store readers scattered about everywhere - colour coded for distance or close-up.

My husband, who's had glasses since early childhood, has no trouble looking after them. Without thinking, he automatically puts them away in a case whenever he's not wearing them. He's normally scatter-brained and disorganised - loses almost everything except his glasses.

Yet I, who used to have 25-20 vision until I hit 40, find great difficulty in adapting to my flawed vision and the contraptions I need in order to function. It drives me dippy.

I've heard of retinal implants but not contact lens implants.
    Were they expensive?
    What was the operation like to go through?
    What was the recovery time?
    Were your eyes sore or painful at first?
    Are they comfortable enough to forget you have them?
    Do they need special drops for lubrication or cleaning?
      November 28, 2019 10:59 PM MST
    2

• 13073
    Men tend to need glasses at 40/45 years onwards, female tend to need them at 45/50 depending on where you live in the world, if you live on or close to the equator or very hot bright sunny countries ,it tends to effects both sexes far quicker.....
    All bright lights damage eyes......even the light bulbs that use light from the blue end of the spectrum ...it far safer to buy  bulbs that use the red end of the light spectrum..  
    So many 12V  Dia chronic light build damage people's eyes ,yet they still manafacture them in their millions... 
      November 28, 2019 11:21 PM MST
    2

• 3385
    I do indeed live in a country where the light is intense almost every day of the year - Australia.
    I also live in a relatively hot climate - subtropical.
    I did wear sunglasses and a hat when outdoors for most of my life.
    I find it harder now. Fitover sunglasses are very heavy and a wide-brimmed hat won't stay on easily over two pairs of glasses, especially when the wind blows.

Didn't know that about blue-spectrum light.
    That creates a conundrum since most greenhouse-gas-reducing LED lights come in blue-white.
    Would it prevent damage if one used a yellow filter?

November 29, 2019 1:18 AM MST
    2

• 13073
    That I don't know I'm afraid....I do know that people that work in shops that have far to many bright Dia  chronic lights of the wrong type have eye damage being done to them on a daily basis though....
      November 29, 2019 4:53 AM MST
    0

• 9207
    Only for distance - they actually make my close vision worse. I do what bookworm's husband does, put them away when I'm not using them.
      November 29, 2019 12:25 AM MST
    2

• 5489
    Even though I only really need them for reading and just one eye needs correction for distance (although I can legally drive without correction), I opted to get progressive lens and wear them all the time. I put them on in the morning and remove them at night. I found it much easier that getting out the readers all the time. My biggest hassle is keeping the lenses clean. I have no idea why they are always smudged - I am not aware of touching the lenses and I clean them frequently. This post was edited by Jane S at December 4, 2019 6:14 AM MST
      November 29, 2019 5:58 AM MST
    2

• I don't see any problems.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 4, 2019 6:11 AM MST
      November 29, 2019 10:27 AM MST
    1

• 3996
    Water ... I find it highly annoying to get water on my glasses.
    Not only does it change the focus in that drop area, it leaves behind a residue when it dries.

Which leads to my second complaint ... finding a good cleaning solution.
      November 29, 2019 2:41 PM MST
    2