Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Why do some folks use the word 'investment' when meaning 'purchase'?

Why do some folks use the word 'investment' when meaning 'purchase'?

My wife does that a lot..."Honey, we should invest in a new ..." I respond with "If we sell it, do we get more than we paid for it?".

Posted - November 29, 2019

Responses

Your wife may be on to something, if saving by replacing is considered.  Honey, we should invest in a new faucet .... the old one leaks.  

Honey we should invest in LED bulbs.  

Honey we should invest in a good pair of glasses for you instead of these dollar store ones that break over and over.

That, is a good reason and you won't get a dime if you go to sell.  
      November 29, 2019 10:49 AM MST

I agree with Sharonna's answer.
    Some things might not earn money through interest or resale,
    but they can prevent more expensive problems or bring positive benefits in other ways.

On the other hand, some people use language in manipulative ways.
    Edward De Bono advises, "Watch out for currant bun thinking." The bun is just a tasteless bit of baked dough made from white flour and baking soda, unhealthy. Without the currants to flavour it, no one would eat it. What De Bono means is that some arguments are so poor that unless emotional sweeteners are added, no one would be persuaded. Politicians do this when they put a spin on some news item, lessening the severity of some bad result they must admit, or magnifying the good of some very modest achievement. Advertisers and salesmen do the same thing when spruiking their wares.
    So your wife might use the word "invest" when she's hoping to talk you into something she fears you won't want to spend money on. If this is the case, she might be hoping you won't notice exactly how she talked you into it.

Another possibility is that your wife might be loose with her language - she doesn't really care about the exact meaning as long as it sort of sounds good. Or she might be using the word with a touch of irony and humour.
    Or she might have no idea what "invest" means - though I don't think you would have married a woman with poor language skills.

Thing is, we can't know. You know her best. What do you suspect?
      November 29, 2019 12:04 PM MST

Not all financial investments make money.  lol

Invest definition: expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

So ... investing in a new car.  No, you won't make money when you sell it.  Buy you expect to achieve the material results of having fewer repair bills, lower gas mileage, better "creature comforts", etc.
      November 29, 2019 11:12 AM MST

I have 'invested' in some old motorcycles over the years. I sold a group of 6 that maybe I broke even on.  I have one that will do well when I decide to sell it.  But even then it won't make me rich.
      November 29, 2019 11:30 AM MST

Because it sounds more astute to say "I invested in oceanic alpine shangri la", than to say "I bought oceanfront property in Denver".
      November 29, 2019 12:29 PM MST

Rather than just look at one definition of the words “invest” or “investment”, consider that another way to look at them is in the long-term advantages that may arise after having paid for a product or service. For example, a life-saving object, a time-saving object, a labor-saving device, a money-saver, a money-generator, anything that offers a better way to do something, etc. If in the long run, the purchase yields ways that it pays for itself times over, or helps cut future expenses, I’m sure can be seen as an investment in addition to merely being a purchase. 
    ~
      November 29, 2019 9:14 PM MST