Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » If a human body was jetersoned with no spacesuit on in outer space ,would it decompose with out air and moisture and nothing to feed on it ?

If a human body was jetersoned with no spacesuit on in outer space ,would it decompose with out air and moisture and nothing to feed on it ?

Or would it just drift forever in space   ?

Posted - December 2, 2019

Responses

All the liquid would become vapors and the solid parts would remain intact I think and the whole mass would float around probably in the direction of some planet being attracted by its gravitational force 
      December 2, 2019 11:09 PM MST

Are you saying that there is someone/thing  out there trying to pull me still even though I'm brown bread I'd still be attractive to some thing ?  ? 
      December 2, 2019 11:20 PM MST

Yes those planets get lonely out there in space all by themselves so they use their gravitational force toattract other bodies floating around. 
      December 2, 2019 11:42 PM MST

Touché....you're a star in your own right if left out there with me...:) 
      December 3, 2019 5:38 AM MST

Decompose, no, but it would rapidly dessicate. Depending on the trajectory in which it was jettisoned, it could either take an open orbit and drift forever, or be captured by the gravity of a star or planet and burn up.
      December 2, 2019 11:50 PM MST

I have wondered about that. Your interanal pressure is about 15 psi...the same as the atmosphere. If immediately placed in the vacuum of space, one would think you would explode.
      December 3, 2019 7:22 AM MST

Instant vaporization. 
      December 3, 2019 7:24 AM MST

Something like that. Maybe they should try it at the ISS.
      December 3, 2019 7:25 AM MST

Hi Kittigate~ :)  I agree with every vaporizing breathe! :) :)
      December 3, 2019 2:40 PM MST

HI! It's so good to see you haven't jesterized into outer space and are still here. :) :) My Goodness it is good to see you!!!
      December 3, 2019 2:37 PM MST

And you too.
      December 3, 2019 5:06 PM MST

There's data on that, for what it's worth. Your lungs would rupture, but the pressure in the rest of your body is insufficient to cause it to explode.
    In 2001: A Space Odyssey, there's a scene where Frank Poole is cast adrift in space by a malfunctioning HAL. He lives and struggles for a few seconds. That's precisely what would happen.
      December 3, 2019 4:26 PM MST

I'm sure the chill would hit you first, then the vacuum into space.  Your earthly body wouldn't stand a chance.

December 3, 2019 2:39 PM MST

It would attach itself to the nearest thing.  Then it would grow when other things attach as well, and in about 50,000,000 trillion years, we will have a new star.

We are all made of stars.  Some of us make the stars.  
      December 3, 2019 5:12 PM MST

What would happen if you went to space without a spacesuit? Whatever you do, don't hold your breath!The vacuum of space will pull the air from your body. So if there’s air left in your lungs, they will rupture.

Oxygen in the rest of your body will also expand. You'll balloon up to twice your normal size, but you won’t explode. Your skin is elastic enough to hold you together.

Any exposed liquid on your body will begin to vaporize. So the surfaces of your tongue and eyes will boil. Without air in your lungs, blood will stop sending oxygen to your brain.

You'll pass out after about 15 seconds. 90 seconds after exposure, you'll die from asphyxiation. It’s also very cold in space. You'll eventually freeze solid.

Depending on where you are in space, this will take 12-26 hours, but if you're close to a star, you'll be burnt to a crisp instead. Either way, your body will remain that way for a long time.

Gut bacteria will start to eat you from the inside out, but not for long, so you will decompose very slowly. You could be floating in space, unchanged, for millions of years. Who knows, maybe an advanced alien race will discover you!

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-long-human-survive-outer-space-without-spacesuit-2017-5
      December 3, 2019 5:13 PM MST