Discussion » Questions » Politics » Amuse Me: Who on here thinks Trump will be Impeached by the Senate? I'll go first. NOT ME.

Amuse Me: Who on here thinks Trump will be Impeached by the Senate? I'll go first. NOT ME.

A LITTLE BIRDIE REMINDED ME THAT HE WAS ALREADY IMPEACHED.  BUT AS I REMINDED THE ASTUTE PEBBLE, THAT WAS JUST IMPEACHMENT LITE.  

Posted - December 24, 2019

Responses

Short of pictures of him shooting someone in cold blood...and it would have to be a white person in a rural area, or pictures of him and Pence getting in flagrante delicto in the Lincoln Room? Not a chance.

BTW, and to be super pedantic, Trump HAS been impeached. He has not been convicted by the Senate.
      December 24, 2019 9:52 AM MST

Never apologize for correcting me.  Be like Donald. Never apologize for anything.  LOL 
      December 24, 2019 10:19 AM MST

Some members of a CNN panel of female voters from Pennsylvania on Wednesday would not rule out voting for President Trump, even if he shot someone.

During a Q&A on "New Day," moderator Alisyn Camerota broached Trump's 2016 claim that his supporters would still vote for him if he shot someone  in the middle of 5th Avenue in New York City.

“You’d have to know why he shot him," one panelist said.

PEBBLE:

This could be a verbatim response from MY 2 Cents.    They all drank the same Kool Aide

“Yeah, why did he shoot him?” another panelist asked.
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 24, 2019 10:25 AM MST
      December 24, 2019 10:24 AM MST

I don't think he will be removed from office but I do think there is a chance that a few Republican Senators will vote against him which will send a message. Cheers and Merry Christmas! This post was edited by Nanoose at December 24, 2019 10:19 AM MST
      December 24, 2019 9:59 AM MST

He HAS been impeached. He has not been (and will not be) convicted in the Senate.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pedantry...
      December 24, 2019 10:01 AM MST

Yeah,.  Touche'. But as President TRUMP has spoken the words, so far?  Just IMPEACHMENT LITE.  I tend to agree. I think he'll go free and no one will see.  No one who watches TV.  I ask people around me all the time what they think of this and they don't have a clue or else they are behind Trump.  I am serious.  I don't ask any more.  

So, this IMPEACHMENT LITE doesn't cut any mustard at all without the Senate.  

BUT YOU ARE RIGHT.  He WAS IMPEACHED.   Should I change it?  NAH. Everyone already knows I am a moron. It is all over the internet.  Trump's base hates my guts.  LOL 
      December 24, 2019 10:15 AM MST

I think in this instance the language is important.

In a parallel to OJ being tried but not convicted, it is important to note that substantial evidence of Trump's guilt was gathered, enough to convince a majority in the House to say, "We think crimes and/or abuses of office were committed here, and there should be a trial-like presentation of that evidence."

If you use the term "impeached" to mean both the actual impeachment and the Senate trial, and Trump is not convicted, that can be spun as "Trump wasn't impeached. He did nothing wrong."

And, yes, we're largely talking about the optics and the political spin here, not anything of real substance. But the language (and the optics and spin) matter. Remember "no collusion" from the Meuller report? That was the propaganda catch phrase used to hide the numerous improprieties (and possible crimes) Mueller actually reported upon. If we muddle the word "impeached", it plays into the hands of those who want to minimize Trump's misdeeds.

That's why I'm being pedantic and encouraging use of the correct technical terms. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at December 24, 2019 10:27 AM MST
      December 24, 2019 10:26 AM MST

Ya but Santa Clause is coming to town tonight and maybe he will put some documents in Pelosi's Christmas sock that will help her get Krampus out of the WH. Cheers and Merry Christmas!
      December 24, 2019 10:26 AM MST

He is not impeached as that has to be sent to the Senate before he is impeached and Pelosi still holds the Articles last I saw.
      December 24, 2019 2:34 PM MST

Once again, an impeachment is the approximate legal equivalent of an indictment. Trump HAS been impeached.

The trial based on the impeachment has not been held, so no determination about Trump's removal from office has been made.

Now, if you're willing to concede that President Bill Clinton was never impeached, because the Senate never convicted him, then you have a consistent definition and I can go with that. But that's not how the term is used in common parlance.
      December 24, 2019 2:41 PM MST

There is a difference as Clinton's went to the Senate and Trump's has not. Go read what the Democrat witness said. That he is not impeached until the Senate receives the articles. that was what he said the Constitution says.
      December 24, 2019 7:24 PM MST

I have heard about the take you describe. Two points:

1) There are other Constitutional scholars who disagree. The Constitution tends to be very ambiguous on many things, so one can fit many different interpretations into the text.

2) The same Democratic witness who is part of the Evil Spittle-Angered Deep-State Conspiracy to Overthrow Trump and the 2016 election? Now, because he says something that the GOP wants to hear we should believe him?

I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong, but it seems like he's getting more airtime and attention because of political expediency, not because he has the stone-cold authoritative take on the issue.

And, once again, the most direct legal parallel to an impeachment is an indictment. People get indicted every day courts are open and their cases don't always go to trial (I was once on a jury pool where they started jury selection on Friday. We came back Monday morning and the defendant had plea-bargained in the meantime). The fact that they have not yet gone to trial, or ultimately don't go to trial does NOT mean they were not indicted.

Bill Clinton was impeached (but not convicted). Donald Trump has been impeached, but has not yet gone to trial. 

Delivering the articles of impeachment to the Senate has only become a talking point because Donald Trump's defenders want it to be one.
      December 24, 2019 7:38 PM MST

December 24, 2019 8:06 PM MST

But an indictment has to be settled and this will not if the Senate does not get it.  So then think about it, you have nothing if it does not go to trial or settled and it won't be settled.  Logic says he is not impeached if there is no action. Can't just leave a person indicted and it stay that way. But if that same Dem had said he was impeached would you buy his story then? And you do realize with the case they have that they have opened the door to GOP wins House and Dems get a president , impeachment will begin immediately after inauguration. They started on him 19 minutes after.
      December 24, 2019 8:42 PM MST

I think the world is going to be watching the 20/20 election.  That is the true Apocalypse no matter which way the wind blows.  
      December 24, 2019 10:21 AM MST

Yep the World will be watching and a majority of World leaders will be hoping he doesn't win.  Partly because they know he is a threat to democracy  and World peace and partly because Donald Trump has a sever case of BO and they don't want to go threw the torture of being in the same room with him at the next G7 summit. Cheers and Merry Christmas!
      December 24, 2019 10:49 AM MST

They assassinate a REPORTER.  The Saudis assassinate a REPORTER.  WHY CAN'T SOMEONE get their butt over to the Oval and GET RID OF THIS FREAKING MONSTER and that whole Administration?  WHY??????
      December 24, 2019 8:08 PM MST

There has been some rumblings about impeaching Trump a second time on more charges.  If he is re-elected,  how many times could he be impeached in the next 5 years? This post was edited by Kittigate at December 24, 2019 10:36 AM MST
      December 24, 2019 10:35 AM MST

I think they are soon going to find that Trump has been stealing from his 2020 campaign donations so that will be another Impeachment. Cheers and Merry Christmas! 
      December 24, 2019 10:55 AM MST

Cheers Merry Christmas Happy New Year! 
      December 24, 2019 10:57 AM MST

Trump has already been impeached.
    Nothing further will happen.
      December 24, 2019 11:23 AM MST

The Senate won't convict, but hopefully enough dirty laundry will be aired during the trial for the voting public to wake the f*** up and NOT reelect him.
      December 24, 2019 8:08 PM MST