Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Having a valid Driver's License does not insure that you will be a good driver. But it is better than no licensing at all. Why not require potential parents to get a license?

Having a valid Driver's License does not insure that you will be a good driver. But it is better than no licensing at all. Why not require potential parents to get a license?

It would require study and knowledge and passing tests and getting periodic renewals. No guarantee the parents would be good ones but it would be an improvement on what we have now wouldn't it? The tests would cover psychological/emotional/mental/health. What's wrong with that?

Posted - September 21, 2016

Responses

I don't want the government having that kind of power. What would be the penalty for unlicensed breeding?
    I would be fine with the hospital/doctor requiring a parenting class.
      September 21, 2016 8:31 PM MDT

And how, exactly, would that system work? Who would be the arbitrator of the tests that you propose? Should any child conceived before a license is issued be destroyed?

And lets carry that one step further. Anyone past retirement age should be tested to see if they're still clear-thinking and a productive citizen. Anyone who fails that test should be euthanized.

September 21, 2016 9:30 PM MDT

The freedom to raise a family is a basic human right. Also, imagine the potential for abuse - such a program that determines who will be fit to reproduce basically amounts to eugenics.
      September 21, 2016 10:35 PM MDT

•   September 21, 2016 11:51 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Thursday with thee! :)

September 22, 2016 2:06 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Rpf.

September 22, 2016 2:06 AM MDT

What's wrong is the inept government. The government is run by parents, the same group you are whining about. What the country really needs is a license to send emails.

September 22, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

Because parenting is a right, not a privilege.

September 22, 2016 10:41 AM MDT

not everyone feels comfortable driving, i dont

September 24, 2016 7:52 PM MDT

September 24, 2016 10:20 PM MDT

Hello Rosie.

I am going to disagree with every answer givin to this question. I am going to further suggest that these answers represent the reasons parenting is a lost art.

Being a parent was never about MY RIGHT, it has always and will forever be a RESONSIBILITY to my children.

All the answers so far seem to be excuses for the lack of parenting.

"It nobody's business"....

"Its my RIGHT to have kids"....

This just produces apathy. the reasons are more important than the responsibility. The paren9s0 happiness being more important than the childs...He needs Daycare because I need a BMW, or "I don't need no man",

We encourage single parenthood, we praise it as courageous even under conditions that are less than what is best for the child.

There used to be a license which society looked upon, in its issuance as the best environment for raising a child. It was called a marriage license. It was accepted that it took a team to raise a child..."wait till your father gets home....."

The schooling for parenthood is supposed to be provided through example by the ParentS....

Not anymore, give em a cucumber and a condom, stick em in daycare, subject them to episodes of the Kardashians and Grand Theft Auto and they'll be good to go, cause after all,..... Its MY right!!!

My mother never felt that staying at home with us as we were developing as an assault to her individuality, femininity or value as a person.

I will never think of the money I didn't make because I chose to spend time with my kids instead of in an office as a sacrifice or loss.

September 24, 2016 11:36 PM MDT

Driving a car is a hell of a lot simpler than raising a human being. The test would be inherently flawed. You wouldn't be able to cover all of the necessary topics/subjects. And there is no one "right" way of parenting. The idea of the government having this kind of control is scary. Who knows what kind of information they'd be teaching people. 

What would be better is making parenting classes more available/accessible. 

September 24, 2016 11:56 PM MDT

September 25, 2016 3:23 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply pearl.

September 25, 2016 3:23 AM MDT

((hugs)) See why we're such good friends m'dear? I exactly agree with every word you wrote.  There is no exception. There is no "I agree with everything you said except..." . I agree with everything you said PERIOD. When I ask certain questions some folks answer with belligerent hostility because they have a chip on their shoulders. Ask about how great it is that Michelle Obama was showing kids how to grow vegetables and encouraging them to exercise and you get rants about "who the he** does she think she is telling me how to raise my child? I can do anything I dam* well please and it is nobody's business because they are MY children". Right. That attitude is endemic and pandemic. That irate/self-righteous attitude.  You tell these folks that spanking children is child abuse and you get rants about how wonderful they turned out and they were spanked. Circumlocution as it's best. Who says they turned out well? They hit their kids for goodness sakes! That is not a virtue. You're right. It is all about them, not the children. And that is the problem,. Their rights. Their needs. Their wants. Amazingly homogeneous the entire lot of them. I pity their children. I do not pity yours. You totally understand the point I'm making. I appreciate you des. Thank you for your thoughtful reply m'dear! :)

September 25, 2016 3:33 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply aF and Happy Sunday.

September 25, 2016 3:34 AM MDT