Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is Nancy Pelosi trying to help President Trump get re-elected?

Is Nancy Pelosi trying to help President Trump get re-elected?

Posted - February 5, 2020

Responses

• I don’t really follow American politics much, but that ripping up the speech thing was hard to miss today on media. I was embarrassed for her and I don’t even really know who she is lol. Cringey. 
      February 5, 2020 7:52 PM MST

I will guess her intentions are otherwise. I doubt at this point any votes will be changed, regardless. 
      February 5, 2020 8:20 PM MST

@Don Barzini: Coming on the heels of the impeachment fiasco, ripping up the speech was visibly undiplomatic and made her look small. Very much beneath the dignity of her office. It was a terrible look and hurts the overall image of Democrats, who are already fighting an uphill battle to unseat a strong and not terribly unpopular incumbent in Trump. His approval rating has risen to 49%, the financial markets are doing well, and his administration has made some strides in foreign policy. His speech actually made him sound reasonable (good writers) for a change. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at February 6, 2020 10:40 PM MST
      February 5, 2020 8:31 PM MST

True or not, I think we might agree she wasn’t alone in that frame as one who has looked undiplomatic and small, and very much beneath the dignity of their office. 

Why the double standard? 

(Note that I hold no favor for either individual, nor do I put any weight on polls)

This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 9, 2020 4:37 PM MST
      February 5, 2020 9:01 PM MST

But, perhaps wrongly, her gesture attracted more negative reaction than his. It was a dumb move on her part.
      February 5, 2020 9:29 PM MST

I think a certain demographic may be drooling to reciprocate anything Trump adversaries do or say into negative press. I thought it was amusing, myself.

In general though, small potatoes in the stew of Middle school inanity that simmers unabated in DC. Soon to be overshadowed. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 6, 2020 7:12 AM MST
      February 6, 2020 4:46 AM MST

I read that her behavior may have violated the House's Code of Conduct. Definitely not a good thing for the speaker to do. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at February 7, 2020 4:17 AM MST
      February 6, 2020 7:13 AM MST

Given the proceedings of late, it is curious that such a charge is being trotted out at all. 

I do find irony in the acquitters of Trump, the Denigrator-in-Chief suddenly being sensitive to ethics and decorum, though. 

None of it is a good look, Stu. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 9, 2020 4:37 PM MST
      February 6, 2020 9:23 AM MST

You're right. Trump is still a disgrace.
      February 6, 2020 9:26 AM MST

"I do find irony in the acquitters of Trump, the Denigrator-in-Chief suddenly being sensitive to ethics and decorum, though."

Exactly.
    Well said. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 9, 2020 8:10 PM MST
      February 9, 2020 4:37 PM MST

I disagree that it was dumb on her part.  Much like many of those who despise Trump scrutinize his every action and bellow at the top of their internet lungs about him, many who despise Pelosi also scrutinize her every action and bellow at the top of their internet lungs about her, and many who worship Trump lionize him and chortle at the top of their internet lungs in deep praise, many who worship Pelosi lionize her and chortle at the top of their internet lungs in deep praise.  An anti-Trump crowd and a pro-Pelosi crowd find her tearing up of the speech the best thing since sliced toast.  Opinions abound on both sides of the issue, so only some find it dumb.

~
      February 6, 2020 10:47 PM MST

She remarked that his SOTU speech was a disgrace, sounded more like he was speaking at a Trump rally; too many lies and misinformation. That is why she shredded the papers. And perhaps a little dig back at him because he snubbed her offer for a handshake.  This post was edited by Kittigate at February 6, 2020 7:14 AM MST
      February 5, 2020 9:59 PM MST

Of course it was a dig at him. But it was childish behavior, and it won't be so little if, as I read, she violated the House's Code of Conduct by doing it.
      February 6, 2020 7:16 AM MST

"It made her look small."  Yes it did, Stu.
      February 5, 2020 11:48 PM MST

She loves, loves, loves, the attention. 
      February 6, 2020 3:54 AM MST

That makes her one of many in that category. It is all so ridiculous, is it not? 
      February 6, 2020 4:48 AM MST

There is talk of censure motion in the House ethics committee.
      February 6, 2020 5:45 AM MST

~
      February 6, 2020 10:07 PM MST