Discussion » Questions » Politics » Debate fodder: in addition to all other functions and duties, should the leader of a country make an effort to entertain* the populace?

Debate fodder: in addition to all other functions and duties, should the leader of a country make an effort to entertain* the populace?

*While there are many definitions for words, the particular one to which I refer here for the word 'entertain' are as follows:

1.  to hold the attention in a pleasant or agreeable manner, 
2.  to amuse

~

Posted - February 6, 2020

Responses

• To amuse intentionally or unintentionally. A risible buffoon can be regarded as being entertaining, but more in a pointing at and laughing at kind of way. Hence Mr Boris Johnson, and others who are of a blond disposition.

Would I require him to do a Noel Coward impression on a regular basis as part of his leadership obligations? Bugger that. 

Or the whole bread and circus shenanigans, that’s a different matter.

February 6, 2020 11:24 PM MST

I think there should be no obligation to do so, but tossing out a harmless pun, joke or barb could make the leader appear more human. There are many circumstances where it would be inappropriate, of course.
      February 7, 2020 9:07 AM MST

Yes, and Trump has found many of those inappropriate circumstances - like asking the man in a wheelchair to stand up.  
      February 7, 2020 9:49 AM MST

Very good question. President Trump has definitely held our attention, even if it hasn't always been done in an agreeable or pleasant manner. But then no president has been able to accomplish that completely. Many times he has been amusing and usually at the expense of those who attack him on a daily basis. I don't always agree with everything he says however, I do find his all-around approach to the political world refreshing because he isn't a "yes man" nor your typical good ole boy, business as usual, do as I say or else political puppet. :)
    This post was edited by rusureamisure? at February 7, 2020 10:10 AM MST
      February 7, 2020 10:09 AM MST

I agree! Everyone loves a good rape & sexually titillating molestation tale 
      February 7, 2020 10:25 AM MST

I'd be amused if it were 1963 all over again, but this time, there wouldn't be any brains on that car seat.
    Just a smattering of shi*.

LOL

This post was edited by Jon at February 7, 2020 10:27 AM MST
      February 7, 2020 10:26 AM MST

No.
    To me when a demagogue puts energy into entertaining,
    it's a waste of time
    better spent leading and governing.
      February 8, 2020 5:48 AM MST

Thank you. And supposing the leader is not a demagogue, what then?
    ~
      February 8, 2020 5:51 AM MST

It's one of the marks of a demagogue that he (or she) says and does many things purely to win popularity, and entertaining is one of them.

Leaders who are not demagogues might still occasionally say or do things designed to show their personality, interests and ability to be like others. They might let themselves be seen running or exercising, walking the family dogs, playing jazz trumpet in an off-duty hour of relaxation, attending a sports, arts, science, religious or charity event, or attending to babies, small children or sick or injured people. These things can add human interest to their profile and induce a positive bias. They can add charm, but they are not the same as being entertaining.
      February 8, 2020 5:30 PM MST