Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » As a child, what were the dreams that fueled your imagination and kept your spirit afloat till adulthood? Are you still a dreamer?

As a child, what were the dreams that fueled your imagination and kept your spirit afloat till adulthood? Are you still a dreamer?

Posted - February 24, 2020

Responses

Dreams are for the young and foolish. 
      February 24, 2020 10:58 AM MST

• Yes, some may be of that mindset that dreams are only for the young, which dances along the outside of what my question is referring to.  Your response however does not answer the question...as a child what were your dreams?
      February 24, 2020 11:03 AM MST

Rather a sad statement. :(
    How does one move forward in life without a dream of some kind? 
      February 24, 2020 6:56 PM MST

I still dream, even if or when I know they'll never materialize!  The materialization, or probability thereof, is not the point of dreaming; dreaming is!

~
      February 24, 2020 11:37 PM MST

I had none. I had no direction, so I joined the Navy.(I didn't want to go to Vietnam.) The Navy gave me a path and direction.
      February 24, 2020 11:25 AM MST

• The Navy's been very good to me too.  I'll say no more.  LOL!

Fun fact...I actually gave serious consideration to joining the Navy.  I regret not doing it.  I think it would have been a great experience and to be perfectly honest I hold our Men and Women in uniform in high regard.  You should always be proud of your service and I'm sure you are.  I salute you E99.
      February 24, 2020 11:46 AM MST

Thanks, bro. It was a great experience and I saw much of the world and got paid. You can still join.
      February 24, 2020 1:58 PM MST

• Life's gotten too complicated and I have many roots of entanglements now.  At one time it would have been easy but as it is now my destiny lies elsewhere.  My story has unfolded down a different path.  But hey, I can still dress up in a sailor outfit every now and then.  So there's that.
      February 24, 2020 2:04 PM MST

Here's a ditty for you.

February 24, 2020 2:25 PM MST

• I'm definitely a dreamer, but it's less about dreams of material success and careers and more abstract and creative goals, e.g. dreams about fake worlds and languages and that have fueled my writing and interest in linguistics.
      February 24, 2020 1:07 PM MST

Anticipation of sitting in a field of flowers whenever I felt like it was never much of a motivator for me.

Actually, marriage and children and demonstrating that parenting was never intended to be as hard for the parents or as painful for the children as one might have inferred by observing my upbringing.

And I succeeded---ask my wonderful wife and my children.
      February 24, 2020 1:27 PM MST

I am a dreamer, the username kinda reflects that... I never really had a concept of future, so my dreams were never of a perfect or better future, which is probably just as well! But dreams of safety, reassurance etc...and knowing that whatever happened to me externally, I would remain inwardly invincible. (I was probably wrong about that but it helped at the time and got me through!)
      February 24, 2020 1:52 PM MST

I have always been a dreamer. Often while in class, when I was a kid, I would sit, head in hand, gazing off with x-ray vision staring through walls oblivious to my physical surroundings.
    My dreams are of being happy, having my family, my friends, and, more importantly, having a particular person. That special person whom I have been looking for who I can love and who will love me back unconditionally. Someone I can share a life with. Someone I can share my dreams with. Someone who will help me bury the bodies and drive off a cliff with.

February 24, 2020 2:08 PM MST

In a childhood limited by broke-ass, incompetent parents, their addictions and complacency, I found solace and inspiration in how “the other half” lived. Successful people, educated people, the go-getters forging their own path to happiness in this world, and vowed I would, too.   

I dreamed I would find a way to see the wide world, sample its cultures, to be of value and service to other people, and acquire the means to live as I choose and a perfect partner to share it with.
    In the end, I had worked so feverishly for so long, it all happened before I realized it. 

February 24, 2020 3:59 PM MST

A life being well-lived---human success stories are always great to hear.
      February 27, 2020 11:11 AM MST

Some people need to not ask so many questions! This post was edited by . at February 24, 2020 4:06 PM MST
      February 24, 2020 4:06 PM MST

• LOL!  You must be referring to Rosie G.
      February 24, 2020 5:29 PM MST

I wanted to go to darkest Africa and search for King Solomon's mines 

Inspired by H Rider Haggard's various novels.

All I dream about now is winning the lottery.  This post was edited by Kittigate at February 24, 2020 11:38 PM MST
      February 24, 2020 4:35 PM MST

I still dream. My better half is the practical type, she keeps my feet on the ground.

I used to dream of being an Air Force pilot. I tried to join, but failed the eyesight test. The I tried Air Traffic Control, but failed the medical. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 28, 2020 9:18 PM MST
      February 25, 2020 3:05 AM MST